GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jeremy Clarkson to be officially sacked by BBC tomorrow

dasauto0108

Go Kart Champion

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I don't see Harris having an issue going from YT to TV at all.. dude's production level is pretty top notch as it is, its not some amateur hour shit.

wolverines_fan83

Ready to race!
I don't see Harris having an issue going from YT to TV at all.. dude's production level is pretty top notch as it is, its not some amateur hour shit.

I totally agree Chris Harris makes some good films. NBCSN aired his show Drive which was pretty damn good, but I don't want to see him in Top Gear. I like what he's been doing no need to change it.

Tech72

Ready to race!
x2 on this

What he did wasn't right (allegedly)

Not "allegedly", it is fact. JC defenders don't seem to understand facts. JC punched someone because he didn't get a hot meal. Say you're the company director, do you take a swing at someone because they gave you a coffee that's not quite to your taste? You see no issue with this?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR
Agreed. The chemistry, and each of the three bringing something unique, is what makes the characters interesting.

Yup. No more clear example of that is needed if you ever watched American Top Gear. Bad enough that they just re-did nearly everything Top Gear did, but those three just come off as hating each other....and the audience.

Even as big of a fan of the show as I am, if he punched someone......that's just not acceptable. Forget his contract, what about charges? If I haul off and punch someone loosing my job is one thing, but the jail time I'd get would be more of an immediate concern.

22 seasons is a nice long haul, I still get a kick going back and watching my favorite episodes. If it's over because JCs stage buffoonery bleed over into real life and he was stupid.

So be it.

I don't think BBC should try to just replace him and move on, it won't work. If all 3 move over to another network or Netflix I'll certainly follow and see what they come up with.

dasauto0108

Go Kart Champion
I am very curious as to the producer's thoughts on all of this - the guy that he punched, that it. Reason being, the producer didn't even file a report with the BBC. Clarkson turned himself in, and that's when all of this started.

If it was a huge deal to the producer, and if he wanted to see Clarkson punished as soon as possible and to the fullest extent possible, wouldn't he have gone to someone immediately after it happened? I wonder if he even had a say in the punishment? :iono:

dasauto0108

Go Kart Champion
Also, the show's future depends, first and foremost, on May and Hammond agreeing to carry on. That could mean one of two things - on the BBC with a new lead host, OR, on another network with Clarkson. I suppose a third alternative could be on a new network with a new host, but if they get a new host, I don't see why they'd leave the Beeb.

Honestly, I bet there have already been networks talking today about scooping up the three of them and starting TG on another channel. TG is such a moneymaking dynamo, other networks would be crazy not to consider picking it up.

dasauto0108

Go Kart Champion

I totally agree Chris Harris makes some good films. NBCSN aired his show Drive which was pretty damn good, but I don't want to see him in Top Gear. I like what he's been doing no need to change it.

He is extremely talented, but I don't know if he's TG material. He has a lot of respect for the show (^^^^ See Jalopnik article above), and he talked about TG's important role in the automotive world, but it doesn't sound like he would be interested in filling Clarkson's shoes.

It's a strange conundrum - Clarkson's job is the absolute dream job for a car fanatic, but even someone like Harris, who is probably talented enough to do a pretty good job at it, would have his reasons for turning it down. We would like to think that a person would need to be insane to turn that down, but then we remember that it is much, much more than just another job that some guy got fired from.

dasauto0108

Go Kart Champion

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Top Gear without Clarkson will be like Two and a Half Men without Sheen...

Then again, if the trio were to hop over to another network, doesn't the BBC own rights to things like The Stig and Star in a Reasonably Priced Car? Granted, knowing Clarkson, I'm sure he could come up with something that is similar, yet pokes fun at the BBC, lol.

dasauto0108

Go Kart Champion

Then again, if the trio were to hop over to another network, doesn't the BBC own rights to things like The Stig and Star in a Reasonably Priced Car? Granted, knowing Clarkson, I'm sure he could come up with something that is similar, yet pokes fun at the BBC, lol.

I'm not sure about the rights to The Stig, but I don't think they can claim rights to a particular segment of the show like the Star in a reasonably-priced car, which is basically just a mini talk show. Since The Stig is a character and is sort of a "brand" on its own, it would make more sense for the Beeb to own those rights.

WAP

Go Kart Champion

The Intellectual Property question is a good one, and the fallout should be interesting. The Beeb may very well own the rights to The Stig and the SIARPC, but time, and the British courts, will tell.

My question is, will Jezza continue to be involved with, and write his monthly column in, TG Magazine? Anyone hear anything?

dasauto0108

Go Kart Champion
The Intellectual Property question is a good one, and the fallout should be interesting. The Beeb may very well own the rights to The Stig and the SIARPC, but time, and the British courts, will tell.

My question is, will Jezza continue to be involved with, and write his monthly column in, TG Magazine? Anyone hear anything?

Have not heard about that yet. I believe he also writes a column for The Sun, doesn't he? Or is that Jake Humphrey? Can't remember.

Also, Toyota UK pays tribute to Jeremy Clarkson: