GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help with a big decision....

rkymtnkid275

Passed Driver's Ed
If it were me I would wait and go for a Golf R. It should be roughly the same price as the EVO. It has AWD...and...you don't have to worry about quality issues of the EVO.

gotshotgun

Ready to race!
yea, dsg is a great automatic transmission, I had SMG on my M3... but I have more fun driving the GTI with a stick than the M3 SMG believe it or not. Its just that extra connection with the road that adds to the experience.

GTIWV

WV VW
If your looking for great performance, the evo x definately isnt where it is at.

Test drive the evo. If it puts the smile on your face like you were hoping, get it. In my opinion I don't like the new evo's as much as the old 8's. The same goes for the new hatch sti's. Evo will definately turn more heads.

i believe you mean the IX (9), it was much better than the VIII (8)

huy

Retired Racer
for your purposes, there is nothing that the GTI cannot do. even in racing, you'll be competitive because you're in FWD class and have one of the best cars in the class.

the EVO X is not the best autoX car because it has a tendency to slide the rear out. Otherwise, the EVO X has amazing handling, but its also running very expensive, quick wearing, high grip tires... and if you cheap out on tires, that makes a big impact on braking and handling numbers. GTI achieves its numbers on less than stellar tires...

to mod or not to mod? keep in mind its money lost, unless you plan to keep it forever. i used to go wild with modding, but i'm done with that because life is too short to stick with one car forever. that said, its pretty sweet when a $20,000 car (no matter what amount of money invested) can beat a cocky bastard in a $200,000 car...

tasteofink8733

IlluminatiBilderbergNWO
calling it a 100mph straight implies you are going 100mph, no?

you're right though, my forum name is clearly more indicative of my driving habits, so I apologize.

still, an evo X is still gonna be a lot more expensive than a k04, so the price difference is certainly a factor. the evo has much more mod potential and its 4wd, so go for it if you can afford it.

I cruise by cops on my local highway (i-95) all the time at 100 mph... what are you implying?

Aggressor

UGly
everything I've heard about the EVO points to it being the king of club racing, and an absolute failure as a DD. Have you considered getting a Raliart Lancer, and moding it down the road. It's softener insofar that its livable, but fun on a back road. would save a boat load of cash, and you could use some of that on more interior comforts.

forzajuve

Forza Azzurri!
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
It really is a personal decision. I have driven the Evo X and didn't like it. How it shifts, how it handles. The interior (besides the seats). I didn't find it to be that great performance car it claims to be. given that I was comparing it to a Stage 3 GTI. I agree that for fun factor the Evo 8 or 9 are better, and for comfort factor the X is the best way to go.

I just like the way that the GTI handles though. And the quality of the finish (we'll see how it last). My previous car was a Volvo S60r (AWD, 300 HP) so I enjoy fun driving in comfort.

But then again, you should just drive the Evo and see how you like it. If you can find someone local with the K04 upgrade ... that would give you a better comparison. But the difference from stock GTI to Stage 3/K04 is substantial. A whole different car performance wise.

krayzie089

Ready to race!
I hate the look of the new evo but i would go with that before the ko4. I love my car, but i hate FWD. Im stage 1 and i hate fighting with the stering wheel under hard acceleration. Im praying that the R20 hits our shores, and im really hoping it is offered in 6mt. AWD is a dream come true for me. So get the Evo or wait for the R.

gotshotgun

Ready to race!
Well damn guys, this is a real tough call, I found a local evo 9 2006 with 35k miles for just under $20k... But it's ugly! Lol all these cars have parts of greatness, just no total package.

Callsign_Jester

traction is for pussies
I think everyone else has already said anything I could hope to say, so I'll just reiterate 2 things and wish you luck with whatever you choose!

-Test drive the Evo X before making any decisions.
-Locate an Evo forum and a shop in your area that are reputable, do some research first before committing.

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Personally I wouldn't go either route.

I know you said you are financially comfortable leasing, etc., but leasing and then buying out is just an all around poor financial situation to be in imo, especially if you'd be planning to finance the balance at the end of the lease term. If you aren't comfortable financing the car from the get-go, and you want to lease for lower monthly payments then I'd look at some other options. Thats my 2 cents, but it sounds like you've thought it out so do whatever you want its your money. Also, are you planning to finance the K04? I hope not...

The Evo X is a fast car I am sure, but I've read/heard the X isn't the best gen Evo. You could get similar or better performance from a used IX for much cheaper, if you're willing to chance a used Evo. Personally I am not a fan of the looks of the X. I can't speak for the ride as I've never been in one.

A K04 GTI would be a fun DD and occasional autox car, but won't perform like an Evo would. Thats about as much power as I would want from this car, and its OEM power to boot. Personally, I don't know if its worth it to put that much money into a FWD platform but thats for you to decide.

For the record, if I wanted AWD power I'd go with a 2009 WRX, or an STI if I could afford it. Call me a fanboi too I guess... :smile:

tasteofink8733

IlluminatiBilderbergNWO
Well damn guys, this is a real tough call, I found a local evo 9 2006 with 35k miles for just under $20k... But it's ugly! Lol all these cars have parts of greatness, just no total package.

Ugly?