GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help with a big decision....

turboed

Low Blinker Fluid
Fast DD, no strip racing. I look forward to getting my feet wet in road racing and autox soon enough.

Tough call then, both cars (assuming K04'd GTI) could fall into that category.

More importantly do you have the ability to use that kind of power on a daily basis. Is the majority of your driving on the highway in traffic or on backroads? A stage 1 flash was all I needed. Would I like more? Sure, but it is not that practical for my current situation.

Heavily modifying a DD can be risky.

tasteofink8733

IlluminatiBilderbergNWO
i wouldnt call KO4 heavily modified considering its OEM. Regardless, DDing or tracking you will have more fun with the EVO.

kamakazitp

Ready to race!
did you purchase your 08 gti or is it a lease? and if youre already itching for something new, yet you plan on leasing your way into an eventual purchase so that can get bored again and make another hasty move into another new car in 2011?

if you have these kinda buying habits, you should probably just stick to 2 year leases, but rolling over debt from a car you're still paying the note on into a new one is just not the best way to go, even if you can afford it. you're just paying way more in the end than you needed to.

you seriously think the difference in price between your used GTI and a brand new evo X is the same as a turbo upgrade? you might wanna double check your math. evos are almost 10k more than GTIs even when brand new, not to mention all the taxes you gotta pay and that your car is NOT new and you're only gonna get crappy dealer trade-in value on the car for the switch. that is way more than a turbo upgrade for sure.

gotshotgun

Ready to race!
Thanks for the input guys, right now I have an epic drive to work every morning at 6am over hwy 92 in the bay area to the coast. We're talking 8 miles with 100mph straights and over a dozen "20mph" turns. And an empty road more often then not.

I think the evo, even stock would make that more fun, but I'm aware of all the quality issues that I'll have to bite my lip about.

kamakazitp

Ready to race!
Thanks for the input guys, right now I have an epic drive to work every morning at 6am over hwy 92 in the bay area to the coast. We're talking 8 miles with 100mph straights and over a dozen "20mph" turns. And an empty road more often then not
:rolleyes: your lack of concern for other drivers is impressive. I eagerly await the thread where you complain about a ticket where a cop popped you for going 45 over the speed limit.

all retarded driver comments aside, yes, the evo x is a much more powerful and capable car, and most people would find it more "fun". under no circumstances will moving into a new one be similar cost to a k04 upgrade though. if you can afford it, go for it.

gotshotgun

Ready to race!
I'm amazed that my "description of a road" could elicit such a response from a guy calling himself "kamakazi", saying that I don't have concern for other people.

Edit: I should have made this a poll

kamakazitp

Ready to race!
calling it a 100mph straight implies you are going 100mph, no?

you're right though, my forum name is clearly more indicative of my driving habits, so I apologize.

still, an evo X is still gonna be a lot more expensive than a k04, so the price difference is certainly a factor. the evo has much more mod potential and its 4wd, so go for it if you can afford it.

gotshotgun

Ready to race!
Hey man, its all good! Thanks for your input, it's such a hard call for me right now, I'm staying away from the Mitsubishi dealership until I correctly make my mind up... although I know they have several models I'd take.

And I'm sure you've driven that road in the past, maybe at a time when there was no traffic...

kamakazitp

Ready to race!
yea, I've driven on 92 and along PCH a few times. my commute is about 10 miles on 580, so nothing too exciting here.

why are you settled on the evo, what about the wrx don't you like?

gotshotgun

Ready to race!
I really don't know... as stupid as that sounds, I think the Evo looks marginally better and the drivetrain is a bit more performance oriented... but I really don't know. If the GTI had awd then it would be an easy answer... maybe I should wait for the R.. but if I wait and then it's DSG only I'll have waited for nothing

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Buy an 08 .:R and save lots of money in the process...

Performance wise it isn't an Evo by any means; but it is an "AWD GTI" and some serious fun for the price. Besides; if you save a bit and Turbo the .:R then it'll beat Evos :biggrin:

Brawly

GTI in training
Car(s)
Black Magic GTI MKV
Test drive the evo. If it puts the smile on your face like you were hoping, get it. In my opinion I don't like the new evo's as much as the old 8's. The same goes for the new hatch sti's. Evo will definately turn more heads.