GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP: New motor?

madkitty

Recently after getting a "Low Oil Pressure" warning on my stock '09 GTI I took it to my friend's shop (not a dealer). He thought it might be a clogged oil pump after manually checking the pressure. The next day he pulled the oil pan and found metal shards in the oil. None of them larger than a millimeter. I don't know much about GTI's let alone cars in general. He told me that I may need a new motor! not too happy..

Yesterday I called the local dealer in hopes to see if there was some sort of warranty extension on this issue as there had been on my air intake a couple months back. However there was not and even though my '09 GTI has less than 60k on it, it still doesn't fall within the 5 years so it seems as though I'm out of luck.

I have babied this car ever since I've gotten it and have changed the oil on it every 5k miles. I cant believe that I did anything wrong or drove it hard enough for anything to happen on my accord however I understand these sort of things may still happen.

I have my father-in-law helping me with my options as he knows cars very well however he does have limited experience with VWs. So I am asking you all for advice/help with what the next step is that I should take on this matter. I had the thought of flushing everything out and re-filling it with new oil. Cleaning out the pump and all and driving it for a weekend, then following it up with checking for metal shavings again. We have found some engines on eBay that are listed "2008 2009 2010 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0L Engine Motor 75K OEM" incase we do have to replace them. They say they fit GTIs however I'm not so sure since we've seen others specifically listed for GTIs for around $2500+.

My engine is a TSI with the engine number CCT 060927. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if there is anything I missed. I sincerely thank you for your time in this matter.

af09808

Passed Driver's Ed
be careful with eBay motors they say they will fit ur car but when u get it its not even close. the best way is to contact them and see if its the right engine code LKQ is always a good place for used motors also. In my case i just rebuilt the whole motor Je piston and calico bearings and IE engineering rods and there valves and titanium valve springs

af09808

Passed Driver's Ed
if u have a small bore scope trying sending that down the spark plug holes and look at the top of ur pistons or take off the intake manifold and do it that way the first way is the easiest

madkitty

I'm not so sure on if my mechanic checked the oil pressure switch. I'll have to follow up with that. If I have a worse case scenario on my hands and have to replace it can I just use a 2008.5 or newer motor from let's say a jetta or golf? I'm having a hard time figuring out what is compatible out even where to go to figure this information out. The eBay auction I found is actually through LKQ and I happen to have one in my home town however the auction is from Canada and I'm in Wisconsin. The auction is for an engine off a city golf and not a gti.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Is it the same motor as a gti and if it is can I swap over the turbo and whatnot?

There are two possible engine codes CCTA OR CBFA, most are CCTA, CBFA are CARB emission motors IIRC. Check this thread for help ID'ing the motor:

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103302

Edit, better link for identifying the motor:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4042736

You should be able to swap all the components over from your existing long block, I would be concerned with trash in the oil or oil starvation eating the turbo bearings so check that thoroughly.

madkitty

So I have the engine code and its a CCTA TSI however I still have an unanswered question if anyone can follow up here. I need to know if I can get an engine from a 2009+ golf or jetta lets say or does it HAVE to be from another GTI? If I can get a cheaper engine from a golf or jetta are they going to drive the same? Can I swap my parts over like the turbo?

I plan to use this as a last result as the GTI engines are 10x more expensive than the jetta/golf ones I'm finding. I also plan to do run a couple more diagnosis tests before an engine swap. But I would like a back-up plan in line in case the engine is kaput.

Here is for example the engine from a golf city I can get: 9BWEL41J294017356 which is a 2.0L I4 EFI

Additionally I entered my VIN and it kicks back as: 2.0L I4 FSI even tho the engine is a TSI???

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Golf/Jetta should be interchangeable with the same engine code.

FSI/TSI is a marketing name.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Stick with the engine code if you choose to replace it...ask the seller to give you proof of the engine code or look here: https://www.google.com/search?q=pro...AUIBygB&biw=987&bih=442#imgrc=4Avd1NcpGXbygM:

May I ask why not considering a new short block or long block from a dealer? Takes all the risk and guess work out and will leave you worry free because of a warranty with them: http://www.vwpartscenter.net/oe-volkswagen/06f100098x

http://www.vwpartscenter.net/?year=...ock&scat=&p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all

I, myself, wouldn't jump to replacing the engine because of a low-pressure code without thoroughly inspecting all other possibilities.