GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help me decide on my next car

Jaxper

Go Kart Champion
After my MK6 GTI was totaled in February, I picked up a MK4 1.8T. This car was intended to be a temporary car to hold me over until the MK7 R came out. With the MK4 in and out of the shop since I got it (unfortunately, all problems that couldn't be seen during my/my friend's inspection without taking the engine apart, wheels off, etc.), it got me thinking that I didn't want to wait until the R came out.

This lead to the thought of how worth the wait is the R? Do I absolutely need the AWD for my snowboarding trips? I was perfectly comfortable with FWD in my GTI.

If I continue with the repairs on my MK4, it'll be cheaper than getting a new car now but I won't have peace of mind with its unreliability. If I get a new car now, I may have buyer's remorse when the R comes out, but I'll feel much more safe than the MK4 does for me now (and, obviously, have a much nicer car).

What say you? Wait for the R and continue with the repairs? Start a new car search? If I should start looking, what should I target? Currently on my radar is the MK7 GTI and the Focus ST. I'd ideally want a FWD or AWD, 6MT, turbo, four door hatch/sedan, with a sunroof.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Focus ST is pretty badass if you just want crazy power. I hear it's handling isn't too shabby either. Or even the Fiesta ST being the more refined version of the two with slightly less power but more controllable.
If you can really wait, the Dart SRT4 suppose to be announced I believe early next year and it's going to have somewhere north of 260hp and potentially AWD, although I'm not big on first year production of newer platforms/models.
But if you are a VW fan 4 life, I suppose waiting on the mk7 R is the right thing to do...

Jaxper

Go Kart Champion
Focus ST is pretty badass if you just want crazy power. I hear it's handling isn't too shabby either. Or even the Fiesta ST being the more refined version of the two with slightly less power but more controllable.
If you can really wait, the Dart SRT4 suppose to be announced I believe early next year and it's going to have somewhere north of 260hp and potentially AWD, although I'm not big on first year production of newer platforms/models.
But if you are a VW fan 4 life, I suppose waiting on the mk7 R is the right thing to do...

Thanks for chiming in. I'll check those out to see if any of them pique my interest.

FWIW, I'm not a VW fan 4 life, just partial to them. Whenever I'm searching for a new car in the future, VW will always be on my radar but it doesn't necessarily mean that I'll always be behind the wheel of one.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Why not get a mk7 (or atleast give it a try), its improved much more than the mk6, and u say fwd is fine when going snowboarding then i see no reason you want the r exception for dat awd launch.

İf you want better handling and a bit of oversteer, get the st. However is not as roomy as a mk6 nor as comfortable for long trips like going to snowboarding. İts not as refined but its raw.

misaka

Ready to race!
What say you? Wait for the R and continue with the repairs? Start a new car search? If I should start looking, what should I target? Currently on my radar is the MK7 GTI and the Focus ST. I'd ideally want a FWD or AWD, 6MT, turbo, four door hatch/sedan, with a sunroof.

Since you say hatch or sedan, depending on price range here are some decent options

New GLI is super cheap atm.
New WRX is a pretty nice car for what you are looking for and price is decent.
MK7 GTI in sedan form w/ awd, pano sunroof and hids But AT
MK7 Golf R in sedan form w/ pano sunroof, hids and LED option also AT

Though I admit stock A3 is kinda slow... 5.4 to 60 and 14.0 1/4 mile before APR tune

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
Continually repairing your car can get old real quick
Mk7 gti could be a good compromise. Test drive one

Buyers remorse with the mk7 r?
There will always be something faster and slightly better

Jaxper

Go Kart Champion
Why not get a mk7 (or atleast give it a try), its improved much more than the mk6, and u say fwd is fine when going snowboarding then i see no reason you want the r exception for dat awd launch.

İf you want better handling and a bit of oversteer, get the st. However is not as roomy as a mk6 nor as comfortable for long trips like going to snowboarding. İts not as refined but its raw.

Good to know, thanks.

Since you say hatch or sedan, depending on price range here are some decent options

New GLI is super cheap atm.
New WRX is a pretty nice car for what you are looking for and price is decent.
MK7 GTI in sedan form w/ awd, pano sunroof and hids But AT
MK7 Golf R in sedan form w/ pano sunroof, hids and LED option also AT

Though I admit stock A3 is kinda slow... 5.4 to 60 and 14.0 1/4 mile before APR tune

- I'll look more into the GLI.
- Not a huge fan of how the new WRX looks, unfortunately, since it's a solid car underneath.
- I looked into the A3 as well, but they don't have a manual transmission model.

Last edited:

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Too bad about the WRX, that's what I would go with... I mean, you'd basically get the performance of the new R for around $7-10k less, sounds pretty good to me.

I'd check out the MK7 and the ST. Having driven the FoST and FiST, I'd say the FoST would be an awesome option, definitely better than the MK6 but I haven't driven or been in a MK&. I'd try to drive them as close to side by side as possible.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
beater car, save up....buy mk7 R

Yeah, you've been talking about it so long... you'll probably be displeased when you start seeing them if you're in a Fuckus or something. I wouldn't buy one personally but they definitely look to be sweet machines.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
MK7 GTi. You have no issues with FWD why pay more for AWD. The new MK7 sounds like its perfect for you.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Miles on the Mk4?

Jaxper

Go Kart Champion
beater car, save up....buy mk7 R

That was my plan with this MK4 and I've had to spend more money on it than I wanted to.

Yeah, you've been talking about it so long... you'll probably be displeased when you start seeing them if you're in a Fuckus or something. I wouldn't buy one personally but they definitely look to be sweet machines.

Point taken.

MK7 GTi. You have no issues with FWD why pay more for AWD. The new MK7 sounds like its perfect for you.

That's what got me second guessing the wait too.

Miles on the Mk4?

133,XXX

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Reason I asked is a coworker of mine bought a beater Mk4 Jetta 1.8T a few years ago with high mileage and he initially had a shit ton of problems (electrical and otherwise) but now that he's got them all sorted out the thing runs great and got through our Chicago snowpocalypse and record-setting hot summer like a champ. He DD's it in all weather except for perfect summer days when he takes out his old 450SL.

Point being, maybe-just maybe-you're over the hump with problems and she'll settle down and be a decent DD for another year or 2. Just a thought...