GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Good Value?

James G

Spool makes me drool.
Car(s)
'06 CW GTI 3DR
GTI is the same price in the UK as it is here, in fact it's a little bit more.

Indeed

U.S prices, now THERES something to moan about :lol:

KWICKS

Now older and wiser
Car(s)
GTI, Liberty 3.0RB
Short answer to OP: No.

Long answer: Offer $30k, pay no more than $33k IMO, and only then with impeccable service history relevant to the distance travelled.

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
I'd disagree with the 'highway driving' being ok for high klms comments.

Of course, you don't want an engine that has been thrashed. BUT at the same time, you don't want an engine that has spent 99% of its time at 3000rpm. You'll have an engine that is 'stuck in its ways' - the beauty of the Rrrr 3.2 6 is its flexibility across the entire rev range and you'd want to know that it's had its fair share of 'enthusiastic' driving.

I (respectfully) stand by my original comments.

How does a run-in engine get "stuck in its ways" ?

Or are you making the assumption that because it has lots of highway Kms then it wouldn't have been run in correctly (which does involve varying engine revs, and more beside). Once a car has been run in then it does no harm to sit on steady cruising rpms (I'll grant an exception for VAG TDIs that have VNT turbos, but that doesn't apply here).

Generally with a s'hand car you have no idea of how it has been run-in and generally treated, so you can only go on the condition of the car as you see it (worn or serviceable brakes, clutch, shock absorbers, piston rings etc).

I strongly believe highway driving (at reasonable speeds) causes far less wear and tear than city driving. Less cold starts (thermal cycles) as the engine is running warm (with full oil pressure) almost all the time, no harmful condensation in the engine oil, less power being output so less strain on all the engine and drive train mechanicals, little hard cornering (on most highways), MUCH less braking, less tyre wear.

This all adds up to less stress and less wear and tear on pretty well all components that wear out. Even the interior will be in better condition, as the driver isn't getting in and out so often. I have seen a 3 year old car with 160,000 km that looked new (apart from the stone chips on the bonnet and windscreen), and the only things replaced were the tyres and a couple of wheel bearings.

I would be very interested in finding out why I am wrong.