GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exahust question, cause my googlefu is weak...

inverse_square

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok, my GoogleFu is super weak, so here goes…
Does the FSI and TSI have the same mounting for GTI axle back exhaust set ups?
Seems to me, that if the mounting points are the same, it shouldn't matter if the product is labeled TSI, or FSI? If the diameter is the same, why should it?
What am I missing?
I have the APR 3” DP, and midpipe that it came with, that removes the resonator.
I really like the Milltek catback systems, but if I can get away with Remus Axle back, I’d like to.
There is a local (to me) shop that has the Remus axle back in stock, but it is labeled as TSI.
Mine is a MKV (07) GTI. Now all that being said, yes, I would love to go with the R32 setup, but it’s just not in the budget…right now.
Does all this make sense? Am I conveying my thoughts effectively?

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
There is no difference between the TSI and FSI catbacks. The only difference in the downpipes is an extra O2 bung on the TSI downpipe but either will work on either car. Just be aware that an axle back exhaust system on our cars is just the rear section, it will not come with the Jpipe needed to connect the catback to the downpipe. Basically the exhaust is broken down like this.

Downpipe, midpipe, Jpipe, axle back.

inverse_square

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you! This is exactly what I am looking for! So, basically get the axle back, and j pipe, and I'm good to go?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
There is no difference between the TSI and FSI catbacks. The only difference in the downpipes is an extra O2 bung on the TSI downpipe but either will work on either car. Just be aware that an axle back exhaust system on our cars is just the rear section, it will not come with the Jpipe needed to connect the catback to the downpipe. Basically the exhaust is broken down like this.

Downpipe, midpipe, Jpipe, axle back.

Theres only an extra bung on the CBFA TSI downpipe. The CCTA and BPY both use the same.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Theres only an extra bung on the CBFA TSI downpipe.

Not true, they both have 2 bungs on them....just different locations.
CBFA has the bungs right before & right after the second cat.
CCTA/BPY has the bung right after the turbo flange (before the 1st cat) and right after the 2nd cat

The CBFA has 3 sensors though, the 3rd is on the turbo housing itself.

The CCTA and BPY both use the same.

Correct

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion

To a degree you are correct. Have to make sure diameters are the same and I would suggest sticking with one brand. Every company has slightly different lengths or designs so they are not all cross compatible. If it were me, I'd just get a full catback and call it a day.

larcic

Ready to race!
I got a 3" catless dp but no idea on brand. got it used. what kind of catback would bolt on to this?

inverse_square

Passed Driver's Ed
To a degree you are correct. Have to make sure diameters are the same and I would suggest sticking with one brand. Every company has slightly different lengths or designs so they are not all cross compatible. If it were me, I'd just get a full catback and call it a day.
I hear you carson!
My thought was to buy the axle back, and have the speciality exhaust place fab a Jpipe.
If I could afford to just get the Milltec, I'd love to! Of course, i'd love to just get the Milltec cat back, and do the R32 rear conversion and the same time, but alas, I cannot. I have to admit, patience is not exactly a virtue with me.
After all, in the long run, if I just kept saving, and DID do the R32 conversion, and cat back at the same time, i'm sure I would save $$$!

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I got a 3" catless dp but no idea on brand. got it used. what kind of catback would bolt on to this?

Is it just a downpipe or downpipe and midpipe? Does it reduce down to stock exhaust diameter at some point? These are questions we need answers to in order to answer your question.