GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

eBay Twintercooler

Hotfart

Ready to race!
Not trying to bash anyone, but I don't see any long-term data in the thread. I'm a big fan of slap it on and record some pulls... but how has your eBay FMIC held up? Maybe we should do 6 - 12 month checkins on this thing

Still going strong on mine after 2+ years. No popped hoses or anything, and am using the hose clamps they provided. The core is in great shape still too. I have the 1st version G-Plus (Forge Twintercooler clone).

FYI on the log you linked, ambient was about 77 degrees. In the logs I always wrapped it out to fuel cutout (or close), which is obviously higher than I ever take it if I'm shifting at the correct points (5750-6000 ish depending on gear). So, the temps will be a little higher than normal at the top end of those logs. For the price, it is a fantastic value for similar setups (IS20, 5150 stage 1 on E40), especially if you're not chasing every last horsepower. I can definitely recommend it. For IS38 or bigger, I can't speak to how well it works, but it would certainly be better than stock.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Here is an example log I did tonight. I'm going to start collecting a few under controlled conditions, same parameters each time, to look at this before and after my IC. I'll probably end up with a standard-type replacement aftermarket IC (Unitronic - but man these are temping as I can DIY the install in the garage vs. paying a shop for the stock location job b/c "aint nobody got time for that") but still, very interesting stuff and you can get a feel for the stock performance. The issue simple is that you loose it over the pull - look at this one and how much the IAT goes up over the pull. I also show the IAT-ambient difference that I calc'd in the .csv - a good metric to look at when comparing runs as it removes the ambient temp and focuses on how the IC is reducing IATs. This is the 1.8 in a GSW with an IS20, DP, intake, blah blah blah and Unitronic software.

https://datazap.me/u/karstgeo72/06182020gswe30log?log=0&data=1-3-4

Pickleahoy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Below log is highway driving with ambient at 90F, no vehicles in front most of the log and A/C is OFF. Every time I give it pedal input, the temps drop within a few degrees over ambient. This was logged as I got on the highway coming from a busy town, so full operating temp on the car.
https://datazap.me/u/pickleahoy/93-oct-90f-ambient-3-jb4-map-6?log=0&data=1-4-5-6

The car has an AFE open air intake and stock intercooler + ebay large chungus FMIC.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
It's clear also that many don't understand what an upgraded IC is for - to lower/maintain intake temps during WOT pulls/hard driving or repeated WOT pulls/track-type driving where you are hammering it/in boost for long periods. For the logs above, you can clearly see in the stock configuration that IATs climb over the pull vs. with the upgraded IC where they maintain or only climb at a v. low rate. Driving/cruising on the highway, while you certainly see lower overall intake temps with a larger IC/twin setup, it's not really the big reason to do this upgrade.

Another reason would be to get the most out of a JB4 Map 6 in hot weather without mixing ethanol. This is true just driving on the street. It doesn't take repeated hard pulls or track driving. The JB4 cannot adjust timing like a tune can, so when the ECU pulls timing, the JB4 advantage decreases.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Another reason would be to get the most out of a JB4 Map 6 in hot weather without mixing ethanol. This is true just driving on the street. It doesn't take repeated hard pulls or track driving. The JB4 cannot adjust timing like a tune can, so when the ECU pulls timing, the JB4 advantage decreases.
Good thing to understand - I didn't!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Below log is highway driving with ambient at 90F, no vehicles in front most of the log and A/C is OFF. Every time I give it pedal input, the temps drop within a few degrees over ambient. This was logged as I got on the highway coming from a busy town, so full operating temp on the car.
https://datazap.me/u/pickleahoy/93-oct-90f-ambient-3-jb4-map-6?log=0&data=1-4-5-6

The car has an AFE open air intake and stock intercooler + ebay large chungus FMIC.
With the stocker when I log highway etc., IATs are at best ~15 above ambient and definately can creep up to 30 above obviously dependent on throttle.

DrewB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 Pure White Sport
Here's a log from the other week in PA when it was 90 outside. Strat S2 e30 OTS but had closer to e40 mix, 2nd pull back to back, was messing around with dragy that I just bought. No expert here but for the price I paid ($246, used a 15% ebay coup), seems to be doing just fine. No track days, just back road daily driving for me. https://datazap.me/u/drewb56/14-dragy-pull?log=0&data=6-7-13-16

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Here's a log from the other week in PA when it was 90 outside. Strat S2 e30 OTS but had closer to e40 mix, 2nd pull back to back, was messing around with dragy that I just bought. No expert here but for the price I paid ($246, used a 15% ebay coup), seems to be doing just fine. No track days, just back road daily driving for me. https://datazap.me/u/drewb56/14-dragy-pull?log=0&data=6-7-13-16
Looks really good, maintains consistent temps...if that was just the stocker the log would look way different. Is this the larger Majesty or the G-Plus?

DrewB

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 Pure White Sport
Looks really good, maintains consistent temps...if that was just the stocker the log would look way different. Is this the larger Majesty or the G-Plus?
This is the larger Magic core the price was $296 when i bought it march '19. I did buy different clamps for the connection to stock IC and had to use a small piece of silicon coupler to make sure it was tight. https://www.ebay.com/itm/223103836030

(R)Rated

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
In case anyone has been wondering about the twin cooler couple size for the OE stock intercooler. It comes out to like 72mm or something like that. From my understanding the coupler is as large as it is because they offer their own stock replacement intercooler. https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-VW-MK7...379718&hash=item4b6f6664fb:g:pMMAAOSwz2Bd26Bo

If you notice the outlet is much large than the OEM setup, this is the reason why the magic twin cooler coupler is so much larger than the oem setup.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Does anyone know the ID of the hose that connects to the stock intercooler of either the G or Majesty intercooler? I'm going to buy one this weekend.

Will this section of hose work? ID says 57mm and I measured the OD with some calipers and it came out to ~66mm. About 76mm in length.

USPcoupler.JPG

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Does anyone know the ID of the hose that connects to the stock intercooler of either the G or Majesty intercooler? I'm going to buy one this weekend.

Will this section of hose work? ID says 57mm and I measured the OD with some calipers and it came out to ~66mm. About 76mm in length.

View attachment 177201

That sounds about right. I used a 2.25" coupler, which converts to 57.15mm.