GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Convert BSH PCV fix Stage 1 to Stage 2

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
I wanted to get the BSH stage 2 system but I wanted to use my own catch can. After pricing everything out I figured I could convert a stage 1 kit into stage 2 for about $100 less than buying the stage 2 from BSH. :smile:

A PDF of this DIY can be found here: http://members.shaw.ca/cadbury/Stage2Convert.pdf

Tools needed:
100 grit sandpaper
JB Weld
blade
5/8-18 Tap
37/64 dill bit

Tools:

The parts from BSH:

The brass fittings from Home Depot:

Step 1: Sand down the guidance block so the JB Weld will adhere well.

Step 2: Fill the space with JB weld. Wait 24 hours to make sure it’s fully cured.

Ensure the finish is very smooth. I used a blade and scraped it across the top.

Step 3: Drill holes. I used a 37/64 drill bit. I found it for $30 at a local Acklands Grainger.
Hole 1:

Hole 2:

Step 4: Tap holes. I taped the holes to 5/8-18.
Hole 1:

Hole 2:

Step 5: Install the guidance block. I opted to use blue silicone gasket maker instead of Teflon tape. The excess silicone was cut off once dried.

**Update**
I received the can a few days ago and I finally had time to install it.

Here is the can:

Here is the design of the can:

This is where we will mount the can. The hole where we will attach the bracket and the hose we installed errlier:

The can in its place:

All done:

Here is the view port so you can see how full the can is:

-Cad

Last edited:

nintendodude

Banned
Car(s)
Jetta
very nice. I had a similar idea. what about the can?

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
you hook the can up to the plates, good, done.

very nice Cadbury. that's one of the more intense and creative DIY's i've ever seen on here, i think you did a really good job with it. keep up the good work man.

lets get this into the DIY sticky thread.

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
dude. look at a picture.

mount -> can to hoses to the pcv thing. it's not like a clock with gears and wind-ees and batteries, it's a can.

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
The can is on its way. Right now I just have a 2 foot long 3/8 inch hose going from one nipple to the other. I will add extra pics once the can is installed.

Here is the can I'm going to use:

-Cad

Last edited:

nintendodude

Banned
Car(s)
Jetta
dude. look at a picture.

mount -> can to hoses to the pcv thing. it's not like a clock with gears and wind-ees and batteries, it's a can.

honestly, what the fuck are you talking about? I know full well how to hook up the can, I was asking what can the OP was using and if I could see it. he has posted pics and now I see it. don't be such an ass wipe.

PyRo H4cKeR

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
10 MK6 GTI 6MT
honestly, what the fuck are you talking about? I know full well how to hook up the can, I was asking what can the OP was using and if I could see it. he has posted pics and now I see it. don't be such an ass wipe.

whoa dude.. calm down.. pics of the can are up lol

GREAT write up man. I've been waiting to go to stage 2 but $$$ has been holding me back. Definitely something easy to do and worth every penny :thumbsup:

nintendodude

Banned
Car(s)
Jetta
GREAT write up man. I've been waiting to go to stage 2 but $$$ has been holding me back. Definitely something easy to do and worth every penny :thumbsup:

What is the best can? least maint. involved? easy to drain?

PyRo H4cKeR

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
10 MK6 GTI 6MT
what are you using as a hose to the catch can 1/2" fuel line?

edit most catch cans come with their own steel lines, as far as from what i'm reading?

What is the best can? least maint. involved? easy to drain?

don't know doing a bit of research and i will get back to you.

if op cares to chime in with details about why he chose that can it'd be helpfull

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
The can that I'll be using comes with its own 3/8 inch hose, has an internal screen, and a drain on the bottom. You can see how full it us through the clear part on the side.

-Cad

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
3/8'' ID or OD?

if it's OD i'd be a bit worried for the subzero temps next winter. little small.

if your hose is 3/8 ID then i'd say you did a good thing. really excited to see how this goes.

what are your plans to mount it?

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
3/8 ID. It seems almost too small but I hope the smaller size will allow for less build up.

There is a spot in front of the passenger side engine mount, ill put it there and as low as possible to again hopefully promote better draining of the lines.

I hope I wont need to do very much in winter to keep everything from freezing. A buddy of mine here in Winnipeg with a BSH stage 2 had one of his lines freeze. Very little water made it into the can. I hope angling all the lines to promote draining will help things.

-Cad

Last edited: