GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Convert BSH PCV fix Stage 1 to Stage 2

tx-a4

Here is the design of the can:

Wouldn't the inlet be hooked to the top fitting? and the outlet (back to the engine intake) hose to the side fitting? or am I confused?

Thanks for a very nice write-up and great conversion idea; I'm following your footsteps for my A4. :thumbsup:

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
I thought the same thing. I was back and forth for a while but finally decided on the side one for the inlet.

I didn't want the screen to freeze when it gets cold, and there is a greater chance of that happening with the top fitting because of the smaller screen surface area when using the top fitting.

Also we want the air to slow down so it can lose oil vapor. The side inlet immediately goes into a large chamber, rather than going into a tube first.

-Cad

MasterGunnZ

The sex
Car(s)
GTI
Great job!

h0ckeyfreek20

Go Kart Champion
wow man this is really nice. I'm definitely going to do something similar, if not exactly the same.

kidthunder

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI
is there any way of doing this on a stg 2 pcv plate so we can turn it into the new pcv system with the vented cacth can the plate only has one hole i beleive

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
I was thinking about that.

You could remove the hose from the and screw in screw a 3/8NPT plug into the passenger side of the stage 2 plate. Then add a air filter to the can where the hose was just removed from.

I cant wait to see how BSH's new race can works.

-Cad

kidthunder

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI
i will probibly end up selling my stg 2 pcv and buying the new one but it doesnt hurt to ask questions

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
I have sort of a random question for you. When you finished tapping these threads, was there any of the JB weld left around the edges on the back side of the plate, or were you then tapping into the metal?

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
Sorry I'm a little late on this one.

I'm not sure if I completly understand the question. But I tapped through the metal and the JB weld. The hole that I drilled was smaller than the the diameter of the hole that I filled with the JB weld.

This picture shows it best:

-Cad

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, figured it out. I ended up using 3/8 NPT threads instead of an untapered 5/8, so the threads on mine went into the metal. I didn't need to use JB weld as a result. I was doing something a little different through.

Edgar

Made in Beanerland!!
how is the JB weld holding so far???
Is it exposed to hight temperatures there??
Do you think it will eventually come loose and if come loose, will it go inside the engine???

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
Once JB weld cures, its basically steel. It won't breakdown below 600 degrees F and the valve cover would most likely melt before that point.

Cadbury

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MKV
I used 3/8 ID tubing I think.
I am upgrading the hose to 1/2 or 5/8 this spring.

The hose ended up freezing when it got really cold this year so I am making some modifications so it can be switched from stage 1 to 2 easily.

-Cad