GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Did I get a ticket?

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2012 GTI, Sun/Nav
The passport 8500 can pick light up like 1/2 mile down the road

Laser guns have a max range of around 3000 feet. A good detector can pick up laser from beyond that. The problem is, laser is a tiny dot, which the officer will aim at your front license plate or headlight reflector. If he is good and steady your detector will never pick it up. Your only chance against a laser gun is 1) laser shifters mounted adjacent to your plate, 2) catching a glint off another vehicle, or 3) a rookie cop who can't aim worth a damn.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2012 GTI, Sun/Nav
With Instant On your screwed and CHP use instant on. No Matter what detector you have, you are screwed with Instant on.

Unless you live in Dog patch somewhere, most California agencies all use Instant on.

The detectors give a false sense of security, and if and I say IF by chance you catch a stray Instant on and your detector picked it up? Consider yourself lucky.

Jeff

Not true. As I said before CHP uses Stalker Duals, Ka band, which have POP capability. However compared to the number of cops who just leave their radars on continuously, the number who actually use POP is rather small. Most cops are lazy and just leave theirs lit up while they troll traffic

Most cops I have seen using POP, I already knew were there. My Beltronics RX65 easily picks them up from 2 miles away. What they do is POP a car every so often, so you'll most likely catch a weak signal briefly, then another short burst a little stronger, and so on. Its easy to avoid getting nailed with POP if you aren't the only one on the road.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
CHP uses laser in the cities, especially bike cops, but most of their vehicles use Stalker Pro Dual Ka band radar. In my experience they don't use POP much but the Stalker is capable.

Where did this happen? I'm unaware of CHP using Fusions for cruisers...they use mostly Crown Vics, BMW 1200RT bikes, and in NorCal they have some newer Ford pickups. I'm pretty sure their new batches of vehicles will be the Edge for officers, and the Explorer for supervisors. Its possible that whoever stopped you was either a city cop or perhaps county, most likely outside his jurisdiction. He could also have been a reserve cop or someone who for some other reason is permitted to have lights in his vehicle.

I have seen a few Fusions, Chargers, and such as unmarked cars in the area. They do it I would assume for undercover work, or to blend in and nab people. haha.

The Pasport 8500 may detect 1/2 mile out, but all your getting are strays, if you are targeting for speeding? Your done. By that time, they have you on radar, or paced you. If you get a heads up on a Radar detector, most likely they were not looking at you to begin with.

Jeff

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
I like that Trapster App, thats pretty cool..does it link to your GPS and go through your BT so it will prompt you? Or do you have to drive and look at the cell and update it? That would be hazardous.

I've switched from Trapster to Waze, but they both largely work the same. Have the phone either docked or running through bluetooth and it will pop up in audio with "police reported ahead" and other warnings for hazards, road conditions, traffic etc. Also supports voice control so that you can make the reports yourself without having to look at it.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Not true. As I said before CHP uses Stalker Duals, Ka band, which have POP capability. However compared to the number of cops who just leave their radars on continuously, the number who actually use POP is rather small. Most cops are lazy and just leave theirs lit up while they troll traffic

They Use POP where I live, neighbor that is a CHP warned me months ago and I live in dog patch California. I KNOW they have it else where.

Jeff

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I've switched from Trapster to Waze, but they both largely work the same. Have the phone either docked or running through bluetooth and it will pop up in audio with "police reported ahead" and other warnings for hazards, road conditions, traffic etc. Also supports voice control so that you can make the reports yourself without having to look at it.

That is SWEET...is it a free app? Which one do you prefer since you have used both??

Jeff

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
They're both free and on both IOS and Android. I prefer Waze largely because it has more users around here thus better reporting. Rumors going around that Apple is looking to buy them, so grab it on an android while you can heh.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Most cops I have seen using POP, I already knew were there. My Beltronics RX65 easily picks them up from 2 miles away. What they do is POP a car every so often, so you'll most likely catch a weak signal briefly, then another short burst a little stronger, and so on. Its easy to avoid getting nailed with POP if you aren't the only one on the road.

Your right if you have lazy cops. If you live in a "city" you can blend in with traffic better for sure, but for me? I live in dog patch where I am the only car on the HWY sometimes, I mean?? no arguement. I just set the cruise for 73mph and play it safe (70mph speed limit).

I still say Radar Detectors give falso sense of security no matter how good they are.

I do like that App thing though, that is something that may be very useful.

Jeff

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2012 GTI, Sun/Nav
They Use POP where I live, neighbor that is a CHP warned me months ago and I live in dog patch California. I KNOW they have it else where.

Jeff

They have it, I said that, but they don't use it much.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
They're both free and on both IOS and Android. I prefer Waze largely because it has more users around here thus better reporting. Rumors going around that Apple is looking to buy them, so grab it on an android while you can heh.

Which Waze is it? when I check on the app store it only shows Waze Social GPS maps and traffic, and Wase Talk and drive?

Jeff

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Not sure what you mean by having navigation on, referring to a native nav app?

You do have to give it access to your location(gps signal) and it will run active or in the background. Have no problem running it and Pandora at the same time.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Not true. Traffic school just reduces the points as far as suspensions and penalties go but insurances companies keep track of that regardless.
Maybe in your state. If you take traffic school your insurance doesn't go up in cali