GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Custom Tuning Solution 2.0T FSI

Tmsracing37

Boosty McFlamin Job
Car(s)
06 GTI
First off - The main goal is NOT more power. I am looking at proper calibration, not number hunting.

So after being told Maestro will not work(at least thats what I first interpreted it as when he said it is a waste of time)... TMS, or Cruizin, you are saying that Maestro is what you use? And you can read/edit/write the entire stock calibration? Is there any datalogging functionality missing from this software? In other words, does this vehicle have PID's defined that for some reason may have issues or give bad data through this software? I am looking at the Eurodyne software supported vehicles list, and my car says Map Switching: NO. Do they mean reflashing, or is that regarding some kind of signal modifer (on-the-fly tuning is what some people call it).

TMS, Cruizin, hopefully this all makes sense for you and you can give me an answer. So far what I have read doesn't seem to make sense as I am getting what appears to be conflicting information.

So much fucking text. I expect no one to read any of this. Please, nothing to see here.

Maestro shares the same principles as EFI live, Hp tuners, Cobb AccessTUNER, etc... Not as user friendly, but that's partly due to the nature of these Bosch ECUs and the logic it uses. There is about 50-60 tables and parameters you can edit and fine tune with Maestro 7 for the Bosch MED9.1 and MED9.5 ECUs. As some of us continue to work with Chris, more tables/parameters are being release to the public. (example I have about 10 new parameters for the MED9.1 115b ECU and in the process of testing those, before he releases them).
You will not be able to read your current APR tune and edit it. You have to write over it with one of Eurodyne's base files, then you can edit/write those files. Yes, there enough tables/parameters for you build a file and fine tune it to your liking.
Yes the Suite, does have data logging capabilities and those logs can be used for map tracing and building histograms which can help you make decisions on certain edits.
No, on the fly tuning. If you make any change, you have to rewrite to the ecu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTnNfnThDO8

jjakimetz

Ready to race!
Maestro shares the same principles as EFI live, Hp tuners, Cobb AccessTUNER, etc... Not as user friendly, but that's partly due to the nature of these Bosch ECUs and the logic it uses. There is about 50-60 tables and parameters you can edit and fine tune with Maestro 7 for the Bosch MED9.1 and MED9.5 ECUs. As some of us continue to work with Chris, more tables/parameters are being release to the public. (example I have about 10 new parameters for the MED9.1 115b ECU and in the process of testing those, before he releases them).
You will not be able to read your current APR tune and edit it. You have to write over it with one of Eurodyne's base files, then you can edit/write those files. Yes, there enough tables/parameters for you build a file and fine tune it to your liking.
Yes the Suite, does have data logging capabilities and those logs can be used for map tracing and building histograms which can help you make decisions on certain edits.
No, on the fly tuning. If you make any change, you have to rewrite to the ecu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTnNfnThDO8

Thank you so so so much for making this clear. I wish this thread could have been two posts long.

EDIT: Just watched the video, I am curious if the histogram has options to display not only the average number retrieved for each cell, but the counts for the number of times that the cell has recieved data? example in Main Fuel Correction (looks like a backup for when the MAF data fails or is unreliable ie: Tip in/tip out) say I only hit a cell one or two times, then I can decide if I need more averaging from the histo in that cell. If not its no big deal but its a nice feature I have had elsewhere.

Tmsracing37

Boosty McFlamin Job
Car(s)
06 GTI
Thank you so so so much for making this clear. I wish this thread could have been two posts long.

EDIT: Just watched the video, I am curious if the histogram has options to display not only the average number retrieved for each cell, but the counts for the number of times that the cell has recieved data? example in Main Fuel Correction (looks like a backup for when the MAF data fails or is unreliable ie: Tip in/tip out) say I only hit a cell one or two times, then I can decide if I need more averaging from the histo in that cell. If not its no big deal but its a nice feature I have had elsewhere.

no counts, just the latest value, highest value, and mean value

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
I hate extra words. Sometimes I use too many. This answer was just right. Again, thank you for the informative posts.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you know some good stuff and once you get up to speed with the new car and the culture of this forum, you'll do just fine and I'm sure you'll have a lot of good contributions.

Just a couple of bits of advice to save yourself a lot of annoyance though: there're a lot of very smart, very knowledgeable people on this board, so good tech is available, but it can take a bit of patience to get it. Most of us access the forum through our phones so it's sometimes hard to get more than a curt, brief response to a question, or you might have to wait a few days.

People circle the wagons fast if you're an unknown who comes at us with attitude. Be friendly, have a sense of humor, patience, and don't be a dick and the right people will warm up to you and you'll find that even if we're a little prickly at times, most of us will try to help one another out. We're also quick to make things suck for people who don't play nice.

Anyhow, good luck with the new car and I hope you have fun here. It's a great forum even though we're a bit rough around the edges. :bonk:

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
I just think OP doesn't need what he's asking for with his current application.

He's getting a lot of great advice from BT guys who are running in a different field.

Its stage II on a FSI. OP needs to worry about the common faults associated with FSIs, not worrying about custom tweaking a stage II file. Its not going to do much and it'll send OP over the edge when he should be worrying about a better hpfp, ever TSB: revised cams, follower, PCV, coilpacks.

If OP had his way with a file, he'd blow something that could have been solved with a recall/revised OE part without checking on it first. He'll turn into the "hole in the hood" kid and run in circles patching leaks in a swiss cheese boat.

Yes its possible, but you won't need it now.

U.G.MKV

Stealth mode
Car(s)
2007 mkv
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you know some good stuff and once you get up to speed with the new car and the culture of this forum, you'll do just fine and I'm sure you'll have a lot of good contributions.

Just a couple of bits of advice to save yourself a lot of annoyance though: there're a lot of very smart, very knowledgeable people on this board, so good tech is available, but it can take a bit of patience to get it. Most of us access the forum through our phones so it's sometimes hard to get more than a curt, brief response to a question, or you might have to wait a few days.

People circle the wagons fast if you're an unknown who comes at us with attitude. Be friendly, have a sense of humor, patience, and don't be a dick and the right people will warm up to you and you'll find that even if we're a little prickly at times, most of us will try to help one another out. We're also quick to make things suck for people who don't play nice.

Anyhow, good luck with the new car and I hope you have fun here. It's a great forum even though we're a bit rough around the edges. :bonk:
:word:

jjakimetz

Ready to race!

I appreciate your welcome, and I understand where some of these folks are coming from. They don't know me, and I don't know them. The smart ones have their "Dumbass filter" ON as do I. Unfortunately I keep getting responses from people just stating their opinion about what I am doing. This is fine, but it sucks that it leans more towards stomping down my interest/hobby and telling me I shouldn't have fun.

On another note...

I just think OP doesn't need what he's asking for with his current application.

He's getting a lot of great advice from BT guys who are running in a different field.

Its stage II on a FSI. OP needs to worry about the common faults associated with FSIs, not worrying about custom tweaking a stage II file. Its not going to do much and it'll send OP over the edge when he should be worrying about a better hpfp, ever TSB: revised cams, follower, PCV, coilpacks.

If OP had his way with a file, he'd blow something that could have been solved with a recall/revised OE part without checking on it first. He'll turn into the "hole in the hood" kid and run in circles patching leaks in a swiss cheese boat.

Yes its possible, but you won't need it now.

Seriously? I have had the car in the shop a few times to get things checked out. Right now I am working out dealing with the repair shop and the dealer. New cam follower is going in next week as well as plugs, coil packs, oil, cv boots, and uhhh.... clutch.... let me see... what else....

Do I have to explain my credentials or something? Goddamn.... does everyone have an opinion on things they don't know about or what... This post you made has no real contributing factors, and if you want to get into things that are unnecessary... how about we start with our nice little hobby.

We buy things we can't afford to daily drive at speeds we aren't allowed to get to so that we can get a ticket we can't afford...

I have a clean driving record with no tickets (knocks wood), and my car already had these modifications. I want to know for a fact that everything is working in at best quality... but this tune does go. Like I have said two or three... maybe four times, I am not looking for horsepower, I am looking fr proper calibration. Am I not allowed to be a control freak with my own car?. The guys at APR are probably not going to go over what changes they made, where, and why (understandably too, working in the tuning industry people are very protective of their tunes and hard work, it's IP), and they are not going to tune for my specific intake, so I want to. I know how to tune a manual trans, MAF-based, drive-by-wire vehicle and you are arguing with me about what I need to do... I am not stupid. Jesus. Seriously. I can't even fathom what is, and how far that something is, stuck up your ass.

I hope this stops. Maybe I am just getting trolled.

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
I just don't understand what the fuss is over a "canned" tune? Why can't you be happy with APR?

If you wanted to write your own code go for it. I wouldn't complain how software engineers are quick to defend the project they work on.

I'm sorry you got upset. I want to know why you don't trust a canned tune. Especially since stage II is a tweaked stage I file (if that) plus a check engine light delete for the 02 fault reading. If its not for HP, then what?

jjakimetz

Ready to race!
I just don't understand

I think this covers it.

what the fuss is over a "canned" tune? Why can't you be happy with APR?

If you wanted to write your own code go for it. I wouldn't complain how software engineers are quick to defend the project they work on.

I'm sorry you got upset. I want to know why you don't trust a canned tune. Especially since stage II is a tweaked stage I file (if that) plus a check engine light delete for the 02 fault reading. If its not for HP, then what?

It's because you think it is a "check engine light delete" that keeps the check engine light from coming on for the o2fault.

I also never said I don't trust it. I have different hardware than what the software was designed for.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
I think you're being overly sensitive tbh. If you're worried about being trolled, you ain't seen nothing yet; that was a typical "friendly" response by this forum's standards.

There's validity to what RevoGLI says, and he wasn't being a smartass. You're over-thinking your tuning needs at this point, and he was saying you are wasting your energy focusing on software when the car has more pressing hardware needs.

The existing tunes are great and our ECUs are unusually flexible and adaptive, so they aren't like a Ford or Subaru that needs to be protuned every time you get a new set of windshield wiper blades. These ECUs adapt to just about any mods you throw at them to maintain safe a/f ratios boost and timing. The existing OTS maps came as a result of millions of dollars of r&d and are pretty well optimized for the basic bolt-on mod progressions most of us follow.

Literally the only need for custom tuning is if you do a really unusual or extreme build. A basic K03, K04, or BT build already has lots of factory tunes that are optimized for those mods, and your own ECU will adjust to perfect the OTS tune on its own once it learns *your* exact set of mods. Unless you have 450hp+ setup, any tuning you do is likely to be counterproductive unless you are, for some reason, trying to re-create the sorts of tunes that the tuners have already done a million times already.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Haha, it's all good, sir. No need for cutting, unless that cutting involves delicious dessert items. :biggrin:

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
Bunnspeed said it great.

your software wasn't designed with specific hardware in mind. it was designed with all common hardware applications in mind.

its a sales trick to believe X company downpipe goes with X company's tune. they will sell it to you left and right that Y intake will mess with Z tune. it won't.

they want you to buy their hardware for their software.

at the end of the day a downpipe is a tube of metal and an intake is an intake is an intake is an intake...