GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Custom Tuning Solution 2.0T FSI

jjakimetz

Ready to race!
I purchased a GTI about two weeks ago. I knew from visual inspection it had intake and exhaust, but I later investigated and found out it has a downpipe and APR Stage II tune as well.

I am happy with how it performs for the most part, but I feel there could be some tweaking done to the tune because of the fact that the tune is obviously built for a stock/carbino intake setup. My car has an EVO MS intake, so I want the MAF sensor's transfer function to be calibrated to properly read the amount of air entering the engine. Not to try and make more power, but to make sure the vehicle is calibrated properly.

Is there software that I am able to use with a VAG-com type setup to reflash the vehicle with the custom tunes that I built in said software?

xatnys360

Ready to race!
No. You would need something like Maestro for that, and I believe you would need a complete custom tune cooked up from scratch. There is no easy way to tweak a "canned tune" from any of the major suppliers.

I think this is a tempest in a teapot sort of thing - APR tunes are very conservative and I'd wager that the majority of people running their tune are not using their Carbonio intake. There is debate about non-stock[configuration] intakes, the MAF, and the effect of that hardware on MAF calculations - but the consensus is that you aren't missing any "real" power, IF any at all - and your motor is certainly safe. (Unless you're using some wack chicom e-bay intake that is so far outside of stock specs as to create real issues.)

jjakimetz

Ready to race!
I don't understand the "No.Yes." answer.

Anyway, Maestro appears to be exactly what I am looking for. I am looking into it now. Not looking to start with anyone else's tune, normally that is a bad idea because you don't know what changes you're working with...

EDIT:
This brings up something else... Is there a way that I can datalog MAF voltage/freq/counts and short/long term fuel trims, send it to APR and have them adjust my tune for it's specific setup?

cruizin01

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 Rabbit
I don't understand the "No.Yes." answer.

Anyway, Maestro appears to be exactly what I am looking for. I am looking into it now. Not looking to start with anyone else's tune, normally that is a bad idea because you don't know what changes you're working with...

EDIT:
This brings up something else... Is there a way that I can datalog MAF voltage/freq/counts and short/long term fuel trims, send it to APR and have them adjust my tune for it's specific setup?

You are wasting your time looking into Maestro for a stg2 car. Especially if you dont know one of the few people around that are familiar with it and are gonna pay them to adjust your setup. IMO

Yes you can log your maf and long/short term fuels to verify if your intake is close enough to work properly. No apr isn't gonna adjust your tune just for you based on logs.

jjakimetz

Ready to race!
You are wasting your time looking into Maestro for a stg2 car. Especially if you dont know one of the few people around that are familiar with it and are gonna pay them to adjust your setup. IMO

Yes you can log your maf and long/short term fuels to verify if your intake is close enough to work properly. No apr isn't gonna adjust your tune just for you based on logs.

I understand EFI tuning. No need to question whether or not I will be able to handle tuning it. I just need the tools to do so. Why would Maestro not be able to handle adjusting MAF Transfer Function, adaptive learning, Base Fuel, timing, VCT, DBW, etc is a vehicle that currently has a Stage II tune?

I'm sorry, but some of the things you are stating make me feel like you probably won't be much help for me here (unqfamiliar with actual ECU tuning? not sure but dont be embarrassed, it is magic to a lot of people). If I am wrong in that regard, sorry but in that case please explain why Maestro would be unable to adjust these things. From what I see, it gives you a stock ECU map, and you get to change the values throughout the tables in the tune, right?

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
I think he was just saying the standard apr revo or giac tune would be fine.

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
OP , your goal is to stay with a K03/K04 turbo?

Tmsracing37

Boosty McFlamin Job
Car(s)
06 GTI
I understand EFI tuning. No need to question whether or not I will be able to handle tuning it. I just need the tools to do so. Why would Maestro not be able to handle adjusting MAF Transfer Function, adaptive learning, Base Fuel, timing, VCT, DBW, etc is a vehicle that currently has a Stage II tune?

I'm sorry, but some of the things you are stating make me feel like you probably won't be much help for me here (unqfamiliar with actual ECU tuning? not sure but dont be embarrassed, it is magic to a lot of people). If I am wrong in that regard, sorry but in that case please explain why Maestro would be unable to adjust these things. From what I see, it gives you a stock ECU map, and you get to change the values throughout the tables in the tune, right?

If you use Maestro Suite, Chris Tapp will send a base stage 1/stage 2 file that is specific for your ECU hardware number and software number. Once you marry your flash cable’s serial number to your ECU. You can edit those base files to your liking.

Also the comment towards cruizin01 was out of line. He himself has tuned his FSI to high 400 whp. Way better than what most canned/off the shelf tunes produce.

cruizin01

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 Rabbit

None of the end user tuning softwares offer complete control. These are only available to the giants for the most part. (apr, giac, uni) Im not sure your background but there are some significant differences when tuning vag cars.

Maestro offers more adjustibility than anything else you can easily get your hands on but it doesn't offer complete control. Stuff gets added to it quite often but it is still very frustrating at times. And I've been working on it for roughly 2 years.

I understand what you are wanting to do but its not really practical or worthwile to do on your car. You may lose quite a bit of driveability/safeties that you have with your current car in hopes of maybe making 15-20 additonal hp...

For instance, the majority of base tunes that come from Maestro are setup to run mafless...(this might have changed with stg1&2) which isn't something most guys are gonna want on a car that was designed to run with a maf and map.

cruizin01

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 Rabbit
Also the comment towards cruizin01 was out of line. He himself has tuned his FSI to high 400 whp. Way better than what most canned/off the shelf tunes produce.

ha. thanks TMS.. sometimes I come off a little harsh.... I dont have the most lovey dovey personality.

U.G.MKV

Stealth mode
Car(s)
2007 mkv

I think you should consider yourself lucky that Cruzin and TMS posted on your thread and are steering you in the right direction. If your looking to stay k03 or even move to ko4 there are plenty of off the shelf tunes for you. OTS tunes for our cars are not like picking up a superchips programmer. Revo, APR, Unitronics and Giac all make very good tunes. I can understand wanting to tune your own car and I'm not questioning your ability but one mess up and you'll be looking for help that's for sure. Giac and APR have different file you can choose from and Revo is adjustable. Most of the intakes out for our cars are pretty much based on the same design. APR is known for having some issues with intakes but not everyone has them. I think if you read up you'll find that most of the tunes for our car are close to being maxed out but still within the safe threshold. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
^ well said

jjakimetz

Ready to race!
Sorry if I came off aggressively, but cruizin01 seems to be on the same page as me... you have to know when to let people know they are just throwing random ideas at you because they don't know what is going on. So few people actually understand EFI tuning it is hard to find good info sometimes.

So far the answer I'm finding is that the tool I am looking for is not available.

Oh well. Thanks for input everyone.

jjakimetz

Ready to race!
Well the deescalated quickly

Sent from my iPhone

Don't want to come off as a jackass. I just wanted to find something out that, like I said, a lot of people want to chime in about, but rarely do any of them know what they are talking about in this particular subject.

Thanks for playing nice.