GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cooling issue

NuQ

Hey good morning everyone to start thank you for your input. I have a 2008 2.0 Wolfsburg. While driving I have no issues the a/c works and so does the heat. But when I idle for to long it starts to over heat and then the cooling fan kicks on and drops back down to 190. Continue to idle then fan works fine it's kind of hit or miss .. this morning I connected the obd2 scanner and have a p0480 & p0691 intermittent code with no check engine light as of yet I would like to address the problem before it really becomes something please any advice would help

NuQ

It's cold enough your fans shouldn't have to turn on that often. And if temp is going up at idle before the fans kick on that tells me your coolant isnt being circulated or not enough. When the fans kick on or you drive the air is cold enough to cool the engine back down.

Ok so I bought the car not to long along so let me as you do you think a coolant flush may allow the coolant to circulate better ? Since I'm also not 100%sure what coolant the original owner put in or do you feel it's the pump ?

NuQ

It's cold enough your fans shouldn't have to turn on that often. And if temp is going up at idle before the fans kick on that tells me your coolant isnt being circulated or not enough. When the fans kick on or you drive the air is cold enough to cool the engine back down.

What are some ways to test this problem ?

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
What are some ways to test this problem ?

There's almost no way for coolant to cause an overheating issue unless it's not there lol. As for tests, like I said, PM Donjuan1jr and see if he knows of any tips or tricks to test the pump. I can't think of any off the top of my head. Pressure test maybe and see if there's any drop in pressure?

He's saying he puts the ac on and fans kick on...both faults are for fans, at idle when u overheat it's usually a fan or thermostat issue, like stated when driving the rad temps drop significantly.

I will usually watch mvbs of coolant temp and rad output, even some have tstat opening and at idle watch whats happenening.

Thermostats are pretty common on tsis with higher mileage. However having the fan faults is what would lead me to a fan issue. They need to both be on high, if one is spinning faster than the other it's a problem.