GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cleaning My Intake Valves (Semi DIY)

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
I've heard that compressed air, B12 fluid, a two-way fluid pump, and walnut media will get the carbon out pretty good. Might be a little bit easier than 30 zip ties and brakleen lol

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Subd for more zip tie action.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Cleaning the valves isnt hard, taking all the shit out and putting it all back together was harder.

Car(s)
2008 GTI
So the ribbed edge of the zip ties just acts like a brush and cleans the valve?

FordGuy

I just joined. I picked up an 06 with 117K a few weeks ago and this is one of the first things I need to do. I have the cam follower replacement, did the coils and plugs, and get a cold start CEL for misfire on #1

jpawl

Would it be worth taking the cyl 1 coil and swap it with cyl 4 to see if the misfire follows it? I have heard that even a new coil can have an attitude.

Jim

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
yes

FordGuy

Would it be worth taking the cyl 1 coil and swap it with cyl 4 to see if the misfire follows it? I have heard that even a new coil can have an attitude.

Jim

It absolutely would, except that I tried 2 coils from the Autoparts store, with no change, and returned them, and bought 4 from the stealer. Still no change.

Anyone have a link to another DIY for this that has working photos?

The pictures were primarily what the valves looked like before and after. The text was what was most helpful.

For what it's worth, getting a camera into the nooks of the manifold to show every bolt is impossible.

AminoAcid

Passed Driver's Ed
You can seafoam till you are blue in the face.. But once it's built up.. Som cleaner cruising past the hot intake valves will just mostly burn off upon contact.

this is why the build up happens in the first place. If you don;t get the whole PCV system, how it works, and why.. I would do a little digging to learn that. With the blow by and vapors fro mthe Crankcase, etc. . And it coming back around to the Intake, where that is the only 'liquid'(Remember. It mostly Oil, lil bit of water vapor..) (along with air) to come in contact on the back side of the INTAKE valves.. As soon as that crap hits them.. It's just cooking on.. builds up. Engines that are NOT direct Injection(Where the air/fuel mixture runs through the Intake valves) The gas and detergents work in keeping the intake valves from building up like that.

The exhaust side won;t see much build up other than the typical carbon from exhaust because most everything that is running past the exhaust valves is burned up already.. No liquid.. no oil, etc.. It's just exhaust gases.

Awesome write up.. AWESOME to see what is happening on our engines.. If there isn;t a more compelling reason to add a catch can to your car.. Here it is.. This WILL happen to your car.. not a MAYBE.. But WILL! Recirc will greatly reduce the build up. You will still have some as you are still recirculating the vapors. VTA Can is going to be the best solution as it VENTS TO ATMOSPHERE. None of the Blow by is going back around to the intake any longer.

Nice job man.. Nice Job.
I would think a VTA can would make your car smell like really bad, I am I correct in thinking this? My MKV has 34k on it and I AM WORRIED... I should just get a catch can installed ASAP.