GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR tearing up DSG clutches?

FRANKIEWALLNUTS

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW mk7 Gti
I would also like to see some actual confirmation of this.

Otherwise it just seems like we started running with something that was never true and the only reason to change OTS tunes is personal preference.

This thread is at best misleading, at worst it's loaded with potentially completely false information.
I started this thread because I’m new to the mk7 platform and wanted to get my car tuned. I called a local APR installer and I was told about the so called tearing up DSG clutches and I posted it here to get some true outlooks on the subject because I didn’t know anything about it. The last thing I wanted to do was mess up my 2 week old “to me” gti. All I did was tell u guys what I was told to see if it was true. I surely hope ur not blaming me for being misleading and saying anything false. I was trying to get some truth from you guys. That’s why I joined the forum in the first place. To get knowledge from guys who had hands on experience and actual owners so I didn’t make costly mistakes. Knowledge is Power. Forums are the best way to learn and share this. Sorry if I caused any issues here with my thread.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I started this thread because I’m new to the mk7 platform and wanted to get my car tuned. I called a local APR installer and I was told about the so called tearing up DSG clutches and I posted it here to get some true outlooks on the subject because I didn’t know anything about it. The last thing I wanted to do was mess up my 2 week old “to me” gti. All I did was tell u guys what I was told to see if it was true. I surely hope ur not blaming me for being misleading and saying anything false. I was trying to get some truth from you guys. That’s why I joined the forum in the first place. To get knowledge from guys who had hands on experience and actual owners so I didn’t make costly mistakes. Knowledge is Power. Forums are the best way to learn and share this. Sorry if I caused any issues here with my thread.

You didn't cause any issues at all. You posted what you were told and posted it to get feedback and that's what the forum is for. I can't see why an APR tune would tear up the clutches any more than any other tune. I don't think any tune tears up the clutches but simply wears them out faster because of the increased power.

Rrrrrmatey

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R

I found this to be a pretty helpful discussion. While it was hearsay, an APR installer‘s comments would qualify as an informed opinion. Where things went a bit off-track was the speculation that came afterward IMO

That said, related to this topic, it’s worth considering that the dq381 is a fairly new transmission (2017 in Europe and 2018 in the US?), so I’m personally interested to see what sorts of issues start to pop up as time goes on - particularly in high torque applications.

Most sources I’ve found online rate the unit at 420-430 NM (309-317 ft lbs)...that manufacturer rating really threw me given the torque produced by even the most conservative Stage 1 tunes. Engineering tolerances are one thing, I just thought that was a lot to leave on the table. The more realistic number to me is 500 NM (369 ft lbs). I first saw that on TVS’ website, but really had a hard time finding anything else to support that. I eventually found the below referenced info which pointed to the dq381 in the Arteon BiTurbo diesel as having 500 NM (Edit: Found one of the dyno charts; now posted at the bottom).

What‘s similarly interesting to me is that not only does that 500 NM figure closely correlate with APR’s Stage I and Stage II low torque (Golf R) tunes, 500 NM is also what the Manhart and Oettinger tunes are rated at. In the case of the Manhart tune, that’s on a Stage III car (their RS 450; running a TTE 535 turbo) making 450 hp (https://www.manhart-performance.de/en/our-brands/volkswagen/manhart-golf-rs-450/).

To me that suggests that 500 NM is the more realistic manufacturer designed spec. While none of that accounts for the impact of a TCU tune, it does also suggest to me that there may be some significance to that 500 NM number. I guess we’ll see what happens with the HO tunes on DSG cars as time & mileage pile up.

Anyway, hopefully this info saves someone else the effort of trying to dig it all up. /threadjack

Arteon BiTurbo Diesel Dyno -
EF66A6BB-84CE-497C-B596-7A5803E8FB85.png

Source: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/dsg-dq381-torque-capacity.379475/

“But because of this I looked further into this and found below very useful information. What we can discuss after this is where in the powerband the 500Nm is and if the real problem is high torque at higher revs which only a gasolin engine can provide. AND if the Arteon TDI maybe has a "TCU map" from the factory which increases the stock clamping factor, but I don't think we'll ever know.
upload_2018-9-25_15-34-13.png

https://www.hoerbiger.com/upload/ebook/2017/motion/2/EN/index.html#47/z

And to confirm the above statement I visited Shells homepage for transmission oil for the Arteon TDI:
upload_2018-9-25_15-30-59.png

https://www.shell.com/motorist/find...xNDBrd19sb25nX2RyYWluX2FydGVvbl9FRnQ4UG5XTWo=

And since they talk about TVS engeineering in the thread you link to I used their site to confirm the 0GC transmission code from Shells homepage:
upload_2018-9-25_15-33-16.png

http://www.tvsengineering.nl/en/gearbox/dsg/dq381.html

Last edited:

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Considering that the average Golf weighs less than an Arteon, I believe that would affect the torque capacity in a good way.

BeBoZ

Car(s)
2016 Audi S3
The MRC (Uk) tuner in Abu Dhabi told me that their stage 2 tune is set at 410hp and 550nm as a high torque tune and its okay, as long as you don't gun it (WOT) from launch or low RPMs cause that's when you damage the DSG clutches and/or DSG.

FRANKIEWALLNUTS

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW mk7 Gti
The MRC (Uk) tuner in Abu Dhabi told me that their stage 2 tune is set at 410hp and 550nm as a high torque tune and its okay, as long as you don't gun it (WOT) from launch or low RPMs cause that's when you damage the DSG clutches and/or DSG.
We must assume that’s definitely NOT the stock is20 turbo.

BeBoZ

Car(s)
2016 Audi S3
Excuse me for not being clear, that's for the Golf R stage 2 w/is38.