GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR tearing up DSG clutches?

FRANKIEWALLNUTS

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW mk7 Gti
Today I spoke with a APR install shop where I live and I called to inquire about a tune. I just picked up a 15 mk7 GTI and want a stage 1 for now. I was asking if they did stage 2 high torque if I got the down pipe and he said he recommended the low torque because the high torque files tear up DSG clutches. Is anyone having this experience? I bought my car for a daily driver because I just sold my mk4 on Sunday. However I’m going to do a turbo swap and everything necessary to do APR is38 tune eventually and I definitely don’t want to make a mistake choosing high torque if it will cause this issue. Just looking for insight on this subject and personal experiences if at all. Thanks guys.

Beamer2Clean

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Your not tearing any dsg clutches on a apr tune lol. They’re just tryna sell you dsg tune which you should get with stage 2 but it won’t destroy your car if you don’t. They just go nice hand in hand for fast shifts

FRANKIEWALLNUTS

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW mk7 Gti
Thanks for the insight guys. I’d much rather go access port and a pro tune but I honestly don’t know who does euro cars near me and I definitely wouldn’t be picking one at random if I found some. If anyone is from northern NJ and has a reputable tuner I’d appreciate it to hear where to go. I only know guys who do American muscle cars here not euros. The gentleman who I spoke to didn’t try to sell me a DSG tune , actually I mentioned it first out of curiosity. They quoted me APR stage 1 installed for close to 800$ tax and labor included. Just want to add some power and enjoy it for a while as I’m gathering parts to get the power goal I have in mind.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Cobb - Tuner can be anywhere in the world.
Tuner - EQT. Buy the AP from them, bundle the OTS Stg1 for $75. Still in cheaper than APR, better(subjective), and can flash it yourself at home. You don't need a protune at Stage 1.

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
If you decide you don’t want to go accessport, go UM. I’m in Westchester and was going to pay a shop a visit in North Jersey. It’s the only tune worth leaving your house for IMO.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I would go Cobb. More expensive for the first tune if you get the DSG tune also but less expensive in the long run because you most likely won't stay on stage 1 and when you get parts and go stage 2 etc Cobb will be less expensive and you have several tuners to choose from. And like others have said you can install the tune from anywhere without having to go to a dealer. Another point I've never seen mentioned in favor of Cobb is recently I had to replace a turbo and used my original IS20 turbo and instead of having to go to a dealer like APR I just installed a tune from when I had the IS20. With APR it's 1 tune and if you want to make a change it's back to an APR dealer and pay again.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Stage 2 ECU (high TQ)/TCU tunes for 29,000 miles and I've had no issues with my DSG - I would highly suggest you get mounts though.

FRANKIEWALLNUTS

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW mk7 Gti
You guys are awesome. I really appreciate the info. I’m new to this platform and the mk7. Just want to do a proper build. On a side note on the way to work this am I hung with a 5 series BMW like it was nothing. Upward of 110 but had to back out to get off my exit. I definitely need that power because I would have loved to walk him lol. Wonder if I would’ve got him off the dig. Anyway thanks guys.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
FWD - You wouldn’t have got him off the dig, and with a stock tune he would’ve walked you past 124mph

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
I might be a little bias but get a IS38 hybrid and a protune via EQT/Cobb, end thread...

Borg Warner EFR APR Stage 3+ w/ a worked engine, end thread... see you at the finish line - always comes down to what you're willing to spend

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
You guys are awesome. I really appreciate the info. I’m new to this platform and the mk7. Just want to do a proper build. On a side note on the way to work this am I hung with a 5 series BMW like it was nothing. Upward of 110 but had to back out to get off my exit. I definitely need that power because I would have loved to walk him lol. Wonder if I would’ve got him off the dig. Anyway thanks guys.

Leave you with a piece of advice... You're 45minutes from Billy at A2B motorsports - Billy is great, knows our platform well and he runs a solid shop if you're looking for one.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Borg Warner EFR APR Stage 3+ w/ a worked engine, end thread... see you at the finish line - always comes down to what you're willing to spend

IMS kit > APR Stage 3+. I'm not that impressed with their EFR 7163. Yeah, it's a full frame turbo but power wise, it doesn't impress me. Plus, APR wants to charge you an arm and a leg for it because, well, that's APR for you.

FRANKIEWALLNUTS

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW mk7 Gti
I have to say thank you! I just spoke to Billy. He’s awesome! I’m going to his shop either Saturday or next week to get stage 2 with DSG UM tune. We spoke about my future plans with a bigger turbo and fueling and I’m blown away with how knowledgeable and how respectful he is. Thanks so much for this connection so close to my home. Only problem is now my pocket is going to be worn out lololol. Love it!