GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR tearing up DSG clutches?

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Cobb - Tuner can be anywhere in the world.
Tuner - EQT. Buy the AP from them, bundle the OTS Stg1 for $75. Still in cheaper than APR, better(subjective), and can flash it yourself at home. You don't need a protune at Stage 1.

Did EQT not have OTS tunes 2 years ago?

For the life of me I cannot remember why I used Unitronic instead of Accessport when I got started.
Did I not know AP's existed? Were their no good OTS tunes at the time?
I feel like I would have researched this subject and figured out that an AP is the way for DIY types.
Why did I spend $800 on Uni tunes + cable? I can't even resell them.

I may have been high.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Did EQT not have OTS tunes 2 years ago?

For the life of me I cannot remember why I used Unitronic instead of Accessport when I got started.
Did I not know AP's existed? Were their no good OTS tunes at the time?
I feel like I would have researched this subject and figured out that an AP is the way for DIY types.
Why did I spend $800 on Uni tunes + cable? I can't even resell them.

I may have been high.
I can’t recall exactly but I think the end of 2018 Ed began to offer tunes for the MK7. At least, that’s around the time he was banned until he became a sponsor.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Well high torque tune on stock dsg tune can reak havoc on the clutch packs. Maybe they were just saying if you want to go high torque tune you need the TCU tune as well which I actually would agree on.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Today I spoke with a APR install shop where I live and I called to inquire about a tune. I just picked up a 15 mk7 GTI and want a stage 1 for now. I was asking if they did stage 2 high torque if I got the down pipe and he said he recommended the low torque because the high torque files tear up DSG clutches. Is anyone having this experience? I bought my car for a daily driver because I just sold my mk4 on Sunday. However I’m going to do a turbo swap and everything necessary to do APR is38 tune eventually and I definitely don’t want to make a mistake choosing high torque if it will cause this issue. Just looking for insight on this subject and personal experiences if at all. Thanks guys.
Well high torque tune on stock dsg tune can reak havoc on the clutch packs. Maybe they were just saying if you want to go high torque tune you need the TCU tune as well which I actually would agree on.

Which APR shop? I believe APR stage 2 hi torque isn't recommended without the DSG tune.

FRANKIEWALLNUTS

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW mk7 Gti
Which APR shop? I believe APR stage 2 hi torque isn't recommended without the DSG tune.
I don’t want to put the shop on blast here. However the tech told me “I would recommend you not doing high torque tune it will tear up the DSG clutches “ and told me even with the DSG tune. I can’t imagine he was miss informing me because they do APR flashes as part of the shop roster. I don’t know enough of this subject so I won’t add any conversation about it , I’m just reiterating exactly what I was told. Hence the reason for my post. I was looking for more insight and information about the subject. I will say this, the shop is in NJ and it’s not A2B.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I don’t want to put the shop on blast here. However the tech told me “I would recommend you not doing high torque tune it will tear up the DSG clutches “ and told me even with the DSG tune. I can’t imagine he was miss informing me because they do APR flashes as part of the shop roster. I don’t know enough of this subject so I won’t add any conversation about it , I’m just reiterating exactly what I was told. Hence the reason for my post. I was looking for more insight and information about the subject. I will say this, the shop is in NJ and it’s not A2B.

I thought you decided to go with A2B.

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Thumbs up for not using Vortex. I find like 1 relevant thread over there a week. Enjoy the tune.
Well he did say MK4 forums.....about when it went to shit IMO lol. TCL still entertains and the chat we had was decent for a few years.

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti

I called a few reputable shops inquiring about DSG tunes and they all told me that if I was happy with the factory DSG software (subjective of course) then I was fine without getting the TCU tune until I was modded past stage 2.

FRANKIEWALLNUTS

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW mk7 Gti
Billy at A2B doin work. UM tunes goin in.

Attachments

• 796630F8-5770-4CFB-ABFE-11863A9C40C8.jpeg
    796630F8-5770-4CFB-ABFE-11863A9C40C8.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 142

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Nice quarantine cut.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Which is just one more reason to get away from APR. There's plenty of guys running other tunes with more power and torque than APR and not tearing up the clutches. Including me.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Which is just one more reason to get away from APR. There's plenty of guys running other tunes with more power and torque than APR and not tearing up the clutches. Including me.

I’m not tearing anything up. My DSG looked perfect when it was cracked opened to install my Wavetrac. I was going to upgrade to Dodson while we had access but I had no reason to. I’m not running a bigger turbo/pushing TQ numbers to an uncomfortable place for the stock DSG yet. I was APR Stage 2 high TQ (w/ TCU tuned) for 18,000 miles when the install happened and I ABUSE my car. Almost 12,000 miles later, still perfectly fine.

Can you point me to someone who ruined their DSG on APR’s tune? I’d like to see what mods they had (or didn’t have)?

Last edited:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I would also like to see some actual confirmation of this.

Otherwise it just seems like we started running with something that was never true and the only reason to change OTS tunes is personal preference.

This thread is at best misleading, at worst it's loaded with potentially completely false information.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’m not tearing anything up. My DSG looked perfect when it was cracked opened to install my Wavetrac. I was going to upgrade to Dodson while we had access but I had no reason to. I’m not running a bigger turbo/pushing TQ numbers to an uncomfortable place for the stock DSG yet. I was APR Stage 2 high TQ (w/ TCU tuned) for 18,000 miles when the install happened and I ABUSE my car. Almost 12,000 miles later, still perfectly fine.

Can you point me to someone who ruined their DSG on APR’s tune? I’d like to see what mods they had (or didn’t have)?

I'm not the one who said APR was tearing up the DSG clutches.