GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A warning to anyone with a noise pipe delete and no hood insulation

JDraft

architectural draftsman
Car(s)
07 BMP 6mt GTI 2dr
Make sure it is secure. Often. I let a buddy drive my car today with me in it, and the test plug blew out of the pipe and into the underside of the hood. We heard a loud bang, and then my buddy saw something come out the back of my car while he was driving, but didn't think anything of it until we returned to our office parking lot.

Let's just say that the hood is now dented upward and the paint is chipped. Sure enough when I looked under the hood, the test plug was gone and there was oil residue all over the throttle bode pipe. We were able to take his car to a hardware store to get a replacement plug, but damn...I'm sort of jaded by the whole thing.

Now I have to invest in some touch up paint, and pay a guy to some out and remove the dent the best he can. All I can say is that the hood insulation is going back on ASAP, and I will be checking the test plug weekly to make sure it is snug.

:mad0259::mad0259::mad0259:

EDIT: Pics added

Inside the hood

Outside of the hood

Outside of the hood 2

Dent is straight below the bottom of the A-pillar of the red Civic

Last edited:

JDraft

architectural draftsman
Car(s)
07 BMP 6mt GTI 2dr
I'll have pics tomorrow. My phone died so I couldn't take any today. The test plug that I have doesn't allow for the noise pipe to be put back on, so I can't go that route or else I would.

To be honest, I took the insulation off because it was hanging down due to a few clips missing, but I am going to the dealership this Friday for some work, so I will inquire about new clips. I didn't notice any additional noise from removing the insulation, either.

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
The Dorman plug is working well for me with Loctite. The rubber section is pretty thick and it uses a nut instead of a wingnut. Also, I put the noise pipe back over it. Thanks for the warning.

JDraft

architectural draftsman
Car(s)
07 BMP 6mt GTI 2dr
OP updated with pics.

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
When I took off my insulation a looong time ago I noticed it being quite a bit louder. You can hear the motor, intake, dv, etc a lot more now.

Sucks it blew out :( I had one on for 5k+ miles and my sister has had one for 12k+ miles and we had no issues.

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
This is why I used epoxy on the sides where the plug meets pipe and on the nut area, and put the factory pipe back over it once it was all dry..........

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
any negatives from removing the insulation under the hood?

i've had a plug in the pipe for 46,000 miles. never leaked or blew out. just have to tighten that bitch right up.

pitbull592

Go Kart Champion
Same thing happened to my when I put on my K04, shot my old plug right off. AWE made me a new billet one, but I still wanna do a A3 pipe for a cleaner look, it's on the to do list.