GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A coil pack story

Thomason84

Ready to race!
So I bought my 09 GTI a month ago and, of course, the previous owner demodded it. I had a mix matched set of coils with ano unknown tune (stage 1 or 1+ I assume). After two days two of the coils blew, I replaced them with autozone replacements since I was in the middle of nowhere assuming they would last at least 6 months. After 1 day, 1 blew, I replaced it. Another day later three blew. I went to Audi and bought R8 coils and three weeks later still running great!

Long story short...autozone coils are garbage and R8 coils are the bomb!

FYI, I used to have a mk6 so I knew what was going on, just didn't realize the parts at autozone was so shitty. Loved the mk6, but times were tough and after a lay off and a few strategic moves I'm back in a GTI and loving life.

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
my stock coils blew last week. Have R8's in now. Took 10 minutes to install them all. Man what a difference!

Soysauce

Nooob
Car(s)
'07 Gti
Got some misfires followed by the p0300 code this weekend. Hopefully red tops and Ngk plugs will take care of it. I'm sure the previous owner didn't bother to replace spark plugs at 60k miles :/ currently at 73k...

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
Got some misfires followed by the p0300 code this weekend. Hopefully red tops and Ngk plugs will take care of it. I'm sure the previous owner didn't bother to replace spark plugs at 60k miles :/ currently at 73k...

Replacing coils and plugs will fix your problem. I guarantee it. :drinking:

Soysauce

Nooob
Car(s)
'07 Gti
Replacing coils and plugs will fix your problem. I guarantee it. :drinking:

Checked the plugs and coils today, plugs had some carbon and coils looked alright. Going to replace them regardless of how they looked, the least it could do is help. I'm thinking my injectors could have some build up because I only get misfires under heavy load past half throttle

Pugs51

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI MKV
Checked the plugs and coils today, plugs had some carbon and coils looked alright. Going to replace them regardless of how they looked, the least it could do is help. I'm thinking my injectors could have some build up because I only get misfires under heavy load past half throttle

My misfires were so bad when I got on it the car wouldn't go right away. It would sputter for the first 5 seconds then take off, plus my CEL would flash at me. I replaced coils and plugs car runs like new. So yeah, replace them first before you look any deeper.

Brigand253

Ready to race!

You're fine changing them at 73K. You will notice a difference once the new ones are in though, for sure.

Brigand253

Ready to race!
I love this red top bullshit.

Stock coils since I got this vehicle.

Big turbo for 30k miles, never had a coil blow out.

I never got the red top thing either. My car is a 2006 and was affected by that coil replacement campaign. Went in, got them replaced and have been fine for almost 75K miles now.

Soysauce

Nooob
Car(s)
'07 Gti
Coils & plugs will arrive and go in tomorrow. I put Techron in my fuel and drove hard in an effort to unclog any potentially clogged injectors(which was probably a really stupid idea). Unfortunately the misfires have worsened, now it feels like I'm going 20 on a gravel road if I drive over half throttle

Thomason84

Ready to race!
I love this red top bullshit.

Stock coils since I got this vehicle.

Big turbo for 30k miles, never had a coil blow out.

In my case I didn't have stock coils. The OEM Ones for the GTI were more than three times the price than the R8 coils from Audi. When I had a MK6 I drove 50k on the stock coils with a stage 2 tune. I was mostly trying to warn people of the aftermarket "OEM" style replacements.

Those coils were popping like popcorn

clbaker

Where is the best place to buy the R8 coils and plugs for that matter. I'm about to give my 08 a tuneup and would like to replace the stock packs with an upgrade.