GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

13 seconds with tune, true or false?

Salvy09

New to the forum I have a 2006 Gti. Bought a bsh intake and sounds nice. Looking into buying a tune. Have read that with a tune these cars can hit mid 13s, but have also read that they only hit low 14s. Can someone please enlighten me? Someone with experience. This is my DD so would like to know if it is worth it

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I think 13's are possible if your engine is healthy and you have great summer tires. Any stage 1 tune is worth doing.

Salvy09

Yea just want to see some stats, have also read u your mpg increases

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Regardless of 1/4 mile times a tune is one of the best things you can do to these cars. Pretty much any ofthe stage 1 can tunes is how our car should have come from the factory. As a DD I wwouldn't hesitate for a second to slap a tune on it. The increased MPG, is true to a degree but your foot and the throttle will make short work of any gains in economy lol.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I had an intake and tune early on...and only got 14.1s @ 100mph...it's DSG. That was on semi-good street tires and no weight removed. With slicks and weight reduced...13's are likely with just a tune. Still, it was 0.5s quicker than stock and that much time in a 1/4mi race is a lot of distance.

MKVDC10562

meow
Car(s)
2012 Golf R
I have yet to get into the 13's and I'm stage 2 but a driver mod would probably fix that haha. Best run for me was a 14.05 on street tires so I'm pretty damn close!

Salvy09

That .5 is good but those guys claiming (showing) 13.5s. Don't see how they did it unless everyone went on a very cold day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Slicks and weight reduction will improve the time by half-a-second. But these guys likely did not do that time with just a stage 1 tune. More is needed to accomplish a mid 13 run. The best I can run now on street tires with all I've done and a K04 has been 12.8s @ 112mph...and slicks would likely drop that to sub 12.5s.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
I hit 14.02 with stage 1, motor mounts, and intake with shitty summer tires and a terrible launch.
13s is def possible.

BTW it helps to remove the rear seat and empty the rear hatch. Thats an easy 75lbs removed with 10 mins of your time.

U.G.MKV

Stealth mode
Car(s)
2007 mkv
I got in to the 13.90's with a tune, Dp, and intake. I had a 2.0 60" from all the wheel spin. If I could hook up I feel pretty confident I could run mid to low 13's

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
But I think the OP is questioning just a tune and intake. Those ET lists all show stage 2 or 2+ mostly and leave out many details such as slicks, weight reduction, E85 tunes, race fuel or not, and water-math injection. Just a stage 1 tune with an intake or drop-in performance filter on street tires is likely to only result in a low 14s 1/4mi ET.

No one should ever expect their car will be the fastest of all others when doing similar mods. I've talked to many guys running stage 2 and 2+ tunes running mid 14's when ever I was at the track and I never saw any MK5 with a K03 and tuned ever making a 13s run while I was in attendance here locally.