GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. TheTroyness

What's this on the back of my stock HU?

So I pulled my stock radio moments ago to find something foreign to me. Now, I know the PO for this car had aftermarket audio in here because there's some wiring on the back of my back seats for an amp, and some wires coming out of my fuse box under the hood leading into a semi-transparent...
  2. TheTroyness

Nexus 7 HU

First off, let me say I'm pretty green in the car audio realm, so please be gentle. I'm in the market for getting an aftermarket head unit and have decided that I'd like to integrate a Nexus 7 into my dash as my head unit. Ideally, I'd like to do it without using a head unit hidden behind it or...
  3. TheTroyness

FS: Axis "backup" rims

When I bought my car it had a set of Axis 19" rims on it, painted UG to match the car. Or at least painted something incredibly similar. Anyways, they're for sale now. They have minor chips and some curb rash. They will come with the tires on them, but they won't last you long. They need to be...
  4. TheTroyness

Floor mat anchor removal

I've found info about swapping clips on the mats but what I need is how to remove the anchors from the carpet. I have a broken one and it's driving me nuts. I found the anchors on ECS and it looks like they just unscrew but that's just not happening. It turns and turns and turns but never comes...
  5. TheTroyness

Roadside trouble

OK so I'm on my way home on the interstate after about 150 miles of driving in 107° weather when my car suddenly loses power for just a second and then gets it back. It was as if I let off the gas pedal completely for half a second and then went back to normal. I had the A/C running and cruise...
  6. TheTroyness

Glove box growls at me...

So recently my car has started to growl at me, and it sounds like its coming from the glove box. It happens when I start my car and when I put it in reverse. I think it sometimes does it when I go into first but it's hard to say because it's still growling from being in reverse when I go into...
  7. TheTroyness

Mystery Noise From Intake

What the hell is this noise? I had an AEM Stage II CAI that went down into the fender well, and I thought the noise was the intake rattling on the frame or something, because the sound was coming from the end of the intake. So I took the Stage II part off only to find the noise isn't from the...
  8. TheTroyness

Genuine Price Hike?

So I was just about to place an order that has been sitting in my shopping cart for like a week and a half on genuinevwaudiparts when I noticed the subtotal was a lot higher than I remembered. I looked at the prices, and they're all MSRP now. What's up with that? They used to have great prices...
  9. TheTroyness

Spare Key

I've been searching for an extremely long time now and haven't found any very helpful information. I bought my 2006 GTI used and only got one key with it. A switch-blade style dealio. Three problems with this situation. Firstly, if I lose my key, I'm hosed. Secondly, in the winter, I would like...
  10. TheTroyness

Valve Cleaning DIY

Valve Cleaning DIY For a long time, I've been plagued by a misfire on cylinder 4. I got new coils (twice) and swapped my cyl 3 and 4 plugs to see if it stayed on cyl 4 (which it did) and even ran a tank of Techron hoping it was a dirty injector. I broke down and ordered a new injector, which...
  11. TheTroyness

My radiator has seen better days...

So my radiator is pretty messed up. That's one of the great things about buying a car used. I'll post these pictures for your viewing pleasure. The black spot and the sun-like mark are where the fans pressed into the radiator with enough force to actually push the other side out...
  12. TheTroyness

Valve cleaning

So I plan on cleaning my valves this weekend. I'm expecting it to be pretty bad. Anyways, I read people using carb cleaner but I was wondering about using seafoam or maybe acetone? The only reason I include acetone is because I just bought some to prep some metal for JB Weld and I have a ton...
  13. TheTroyness

CAI Water Shield

So here's a little story for you. I'm a college student. Right now I'm on winter break, so I have a lot of down time (I work for my University, so I'm also on a vacation from my job pretty much). Well, at the start of the break, I went hunting for a boost leak, as well as zeroed in on the source...
  14. TheTroyness

Crazy boost!

So a few days ago I decided I wanted to find out what cam revision I have on my '06, so I followed this DIY: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3754451 Well, I couldn't get the little cover thing off after removing the torx bolts so I gave up. After putting everything back together, I...
  15. TheTroyness

Misfires! Woo!

Yea, I know. Another misfire thread. I'M SORRY! But I've been reading and researching and working away at this for a long time with no sign of improvement. PROBLEM: Misfire on Cyl. 4. It used to misfire really bad (blinking CEL and engine sputtering like traction control was kicking in) mainly...
  16. TheTroyness

MKV Quality

I've been shopping around for a GTI and decided to talk to a friend of mine that owns one. He owns a MKIV and said it's very moddable and reliable. He told me to stay away from the MKVs because they "have problems" and modders tend to steer towards the MKIV and MKVI. Can anyone clear this up...