GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's this on the back of my stock HU?

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
So I pulled my stock radio moments ago to find something foreign to me. Now, I know the PO for this car had aftermarket audio in here because there's some wiring on the back of my back seats for an amp, and some wires coming out of my fuse box under the hood leading into a semi-transparent Rockford Fosgate box. However, I was still confused by this thing wired to my stock harness. What is it? I'm new to car audio so I have no idea what that thing is.

While I'm on the subject, what was the proper way to remove the trim surrounding my HVAC knobs below the stereo? When I finally got it off (and I thought I was being careful...), I noticed only one of the metal clips was still on the trim piece. The rest broke off and were still attached to my dash. Apparently, the PO had the same problem when he did had new audio stuff put in because a few of the clips were missing (neither on the trim, nor on the dash).

SAK

Ready to race!
Looks like a line out converter basically a way to wire a sub to a stock head unit that doesn't have RCA outputs

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
Hmmm. I wonder where those RCA cables go then. If I have a sub, its either not receiving power or getting very little because I don't have what I'd consider aftermarket bass. And they did a fantastic job hiding it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

davesee

FIA GT Champion
The previous owner probably took everything else out and left that because he didn't want to bother pulling out the headunit to get to it.

If you're considering adding an amp and sub then part of the work is already done for you.

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
The previous owner probably took everything else out and left that because he didn't want to bother pulling out the headunit to get to it.

If you're considering adding an amp and sub then part of the work is already done for you.

Yea I knew about the amp wiring but had no idea about these RCA cables. I kind of want to hunt down the other ends but I've got way too much going on right now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Method82

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
I had this on my Tacoma X-runner that the previous owner had. but over time, the wiring job on it was shit and was blowing fuses. make sure the wiring isn't crummy.

Tr!tan!um

Schnellen geher!
Car(s)
2008 GTI, white
That is a line level adapter that takes the high current going to the speakers and steps it down to a low level to go into the amp. In other words, its the bridge between the speakers and amp. If you wired the speaker line directly into the amp without that device, it would destroy the amp. The dials on the bottom are basically volume controls. The line level adapter has two inputs and outputs for stereo, but you could get away with one for a sub.

You'll find the RCAs near the rest of the power wiring either under the trunk mat or under a front seat.

Pull the side panels next to the shifter. Wont take long at all.
Why? there are very few places to put an amp. All he has to do is find wehre the wires he mentioned in the trunk go and he'll find them.

ClassicRbt

Ready to race!
If the other end of the RCA is tucked under carpet good luck finding it.

I forget that we were are all car audio experts behind a keyboard. :rolleyes: