GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV Quality

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
I've been shopping around for a GTI and decided to talk to a friend of mine that owns one. He owns a MKIV and said it's very moddable and reliable. He told me to stay away from the MKVs because they "have problems" and modders tend to steer towards the MKIV and MKVI. Can anyone clear this up for me? What sort of problems could he be talking about? And is the MKV not as mod-friendly? The reason I am asking instead of just taking his word for it is because I really love the styling of the MKV and would like to look into getting one.
Also, for any given fixed budget, which car could you mod and end with the best performance (between the MKV and MKIV)? I would think the MKV should perform better "out of the box" but would likely be more spendy to tune vs an older MKIV. Any input?

f360m

Ready to race!
How could modders steer towards the MKVI? it basically just came out. your friend knows nothing

TwentyonePSI

Crody
Car(s)
FSI
If you want to mod a slow car, buy a MKV. If you want to mod a REALLY SLOW car, buy a MKIV.

TheTroyness

I changed a tire once...
I've been searching and I didn't come up with anything worth while, which is why I asked. I can't really decide for myself how reliable they are unless I buy one...
Also, oddly enough I already Googled almost that exact same search (I didn't repeat GTI because it won't change the search results. The single instance of the word will find the same results.) It gave me plenty of side by side performance overviews, but I didn't find much from people talking about their experiences with reliability and such. In fact I think I mentioned something about searching it in my first post...
Thanks for the answer, binky. I've been looking through some parts and it doesn't seem there is much of a gap in prices between the parts ofr MKIV and MKV. I'm going to keep looking around, though. I'm not really in much of a hurry.
Any part recommendations? I've been looking (and will continue to look), but so far it seems AEM makes a popular cold air intake that is effective, but I've heard APR makes a better intake that is characteristic of a ram air intake. I haven't found much on chip upgrades (I haven't really looked much through this forum, yet, though. Just skimmed briefly). As far as exhaust goes, Magnaflow and Flowmaster have always been a good set of pipes for me but I didn't find a GTI kit from Flow. I know there's a kit from Magna.
Any other recommendations? I'm looking for some experienced advice, so sorry if I'm not "going out and doing my own research to decide for myself." I mean, isn't that what this forum is for?

utekineir

Banned
there is a lot of information between this site and vwvortex.com in its different sections,

really far more than anyone should be expected to type for someone that won't look for it on their own.

in a nutshell with the mkv keep in mind there are two engines fsi 2006-2008.5 and tsi from 2008.5- 2009.

the fsi is more of a high maintenance engine, but isn't necessarily a bad engine, both have a wide range of mods available and more in the future

theres two transmissions, manual and dsg, neither are a bad choice, different strokes for different folks,

the current fsi apr carobino intake from most accounts sucks,

outside of that, search, read, click click click, theres more than enough information that people have already taken the time to type and put on the internet than you need to make informed decisions.

Unless of course you demand to be spoon fed like an infant.

v-dub89

Go Kart Champion
MKV > MKIV. Period.

Nataraki

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'92 BMW 318i
i would suggest to test drive an MKV if you still can fnd it in any of the dealers near you, then make your decision.

GTI4John74

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI
He told me to stay away from the MKVs because they "have problems" and modders tend to steer towards the MKIV and MKVI. Can anyone clear this up for me? What sort of problems could he be talking about? And is the MKV not as mod-friendly? The reason I am asking instead of just taking his word for it is because I really love the styling of the MKV and would like to look into getting one.
a Stage 3 APR MKVI is already out!!!! so you should be ok, get an MK6 GTI better looking

GIAC, APR, REVO already have tunes for the MK6 i think. APR already has one so you should be good :thumbsup:

returnofcc

Terrible Driver
MKVI>MKV>MKIV
There are no reliability problems with the MKV. I would recommend you get a 2009 or 2008 gti with a tsi engine because the price will be low and it has the tsi engine, which will not require you to be checking your cam follower every 5000 miles. Oh, and the 2008.5/2009 MKV has the same exact engine as the MKVI, so take that for what you will...