GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

eBay Twintercooler

CarolinaPanthers

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI 6mt
eBay is $275. Is it still worth it to save ~$200? What is the extra $200 buying me?

In my fairly uninformed opinion, as I have 0 real world experience with either option, it appears to me that the extra $200 gets you slight better fitment, at least in regards to the hoses. Instead of potentially needing to source new clamps and doubling up on couplers, it looks like the ECS bolts up with less hassle. May be worth paying a little more for the peace of mind imo.

Any mk7.5/acc sensor fitment issues with either?

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
In my fairly uninformed opinion, as I have 0 real world experience with either option, it appears to me that the extra $200 gets you slight better fitment, at least in regards to the hoses. Instead of potentially needing to source new clamps and doubling up on couplers, it looks like the ECS bolts up with less hassle. May be worth paying a little more for the peace of mind imo.

1 piece of rubber hose (although there have been a number of reports from others that some hose options fit snug) and optionally some worm drive clamps, $15. The risk with the eBay setup is less the parts and more the person installing them screwing up the install.

That said the ECS setup looks decent, but spending the additional $200 won't buy me peace of mind.

Cemetery

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
e36m/e46m/mk7r
Your statement: "there did seem to be a rather large pressure drop."
My full statement "When it worked, it worked okay, but there did seem to be a rather large pressure drop. " Referring to before I had a hole. I know you are going to scream data on my pressure drop claim and post some of your bench results, but the only data I have is my butt dyno.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
My full statement "When it worked, it worked okay, but there did seem to be a rather large pressure drop. " Referring to before I had a hole. I know you are going to scream data on my pressure drop claim and post some of your bench results, but the only data I have is my butt dyno.

I'll use the popular straw analogy to illustrate why your butt dyno is suspect.

One straw is the OEM IC and blowing through it causes a level of pressure drop. You've added a second straw of the same diameter as the first (the bicooler) and are blowing through both, in parallel. Your observation is that according to your butt dyno, aka perceptions, it is harder to blow through the two straws than it was the single straw.

Data would also contradict your butt dyno.

Cemetery

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
e36m/e46m/mk7r
I'll use the popular straw analogy to illustrate why your butt dyno is suspect.

One straw is the OEM IC and blowing through it causes a level of pressure drop. You've added a second straw of the same diameter as the first (the bicooler) and are blowing through both, in parallel. Your observation is that according to your butt dyno, aka perceptions, it is harder to blow through the two straws than it was the single straw.

Data would also contradict your butt dyno.
OK

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3

Its actually more like a $150 difference when its on sale. eBay also charges me sales tax...so the difference for me will be even less. I just want to be able to get the IC and install it without having to get a number of additional parts that I may or may not need. I'm just going to wait till it goes on sale. I just got a downpipe to hold me over till then.

I think VW moved the ACC sensor up to the badge in the grill on the 7.5 and its not longer in the middle of the lower grill like the Mk7. It should fit the 7.5.

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
I have the G-Plus intercooler from Amazon (I think it was available on eBay as well) and there are zero fitment issues. No hose adapters needed and install was easy. It is one of the smaller twin coolers available, but has shown 13-15* above ambient in 3rd to 4th year pulls. Although, I have been wondering if the ECS or CTS FMIC would provide more gains. My temp IAT does climb in stop and go traffic, but falls super quick at speed or under heavy throttle. I will say though I haven't really logged since switching to Cobb with EQT stage 2 OTS as it does peak around 28-29.5 PSIand in general feels great compared to ED adjustable at 92/25. I've mostly just been keeping track of min/max on the Cobb gauge screen. Low KR at 1.12 or less, but it's hard to gauge temps since I don't watch during a pull. I should probably do some actual logging.

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
I have the G-Plus intercooler from Amazon (I think it was available on eBay as well) and there are zero fitment issues. No hose adapters needed and install was easy. It is one of the smaller twin coolers available, but has shown 13-15* above ambient in 3rd to 4th year pulls. Although, I have been wondering if the ECS or CTS FMIC would provide more gains. My temp IAT does climb in stop and go traffic, but falls super quick at speed or under heavy throttle. I will say though I haven't really logged since switching to Cobb with EQT stage 2 OTS as it does peak around 28-29.5 PSIand in general feels great compared to ED adjustable at 92/25. I've mostly just been keeping track of min/max on the Cobb gauge screen. Low KR at 1.12 or less, but it's hard to gauge temps since I don't watch during a pull. I should probably do some actual logging.
Was hoping for you to post up some logs :p this app sounds great for under $300

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
I'll get some eventually lol. It'll be at least a couple weeks though. Been busy preparing for a trip to Florida with my daughters for spring break at Disney World.

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
I'll get some eventually lol. It'll be at least a couple weeks though. Been busy preparing for a trip to Florida with my daughters for spring break at Disney World.

sounds good it’s still cool in California for about another month or so but I know I’ll need to be doing something soon.