GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project racecar. Build #1

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Awesome, thanks so much for the response!! As for the noise, I don't expect too much change in that from my current setup, but I've also been anally sound proofing all areas of the car. I would definitely ditch the unibrace with this setup, but I think I could fit the Eurosport x brace in conjunction with the cage to reinforce that area that the cage will not fully address. Once I get this in, I plan on welding it in. Is there a reason why you didn't go in this direction? As for the seats I'm going to go with the sparco pro 2000s with harness so we'll see how that fits together. Thread highjack over...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Awesome, thanks so much for the response!! As for the noise, I don't expect too much change in that from my current setup, but I've also been anally sound proofing all areas of the car. I would definitely ditch the unibrace with this setup, but I think I could fit the Eurosport x brace in conjunction with the cage to reinforce that area that the cage will not fully address. Once I get this in, I plan on welding it in. Is there a reason why you didn't go in this direction? As for the seats I'm going to go with the sparco pro 2000s with harness so we'll see how that fits together. Thread highjack over...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would be surprised by how much noise the rear seat muffles, trust me it's a lot! The XB will literally not fit with the cage installed, it uses the same points for the rear mounts as the cage (on the shock towers). I would focus on chassis bracing after you get the cage. Braces like the UB, RB, Ultra brace subframe brace, etc. I didnt weld in because eventually I will do a full 6/8 point weld in. For now this meets all requirements for safety that I need so I saved about $1500 by not doing a full weld in. Also I still like my interior and don't want to rip it completely apart yet, so when money and life permits I'll go full weld in. Awesome choice on the seats, they are still a contender on my list. Been leaning more towards a Momo Daytona for the drivers seat and a Momo starter for the pass anger side. I don't want my pass anger to have to deal with a Halo lol. Love the direction your build is going man!

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Well, there's been zero progress on the car but for a good reason. Been setting up her new home! Moved into our new house this past weekend and started on the garage right away. By next winter it will be insulated and finished, overhead HVAC system installed, heated floors, and the best part, 2 post 8k lb lift :)

Here's a few pics, still have a lot to do but it's getting there.

View from kitchen sink

Inside

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Looks like mine but way taller. I would love a tall garage to get a lift into

Coming from my barely one car garage, yeah this is a huuuuge upgrade. Still not big enough though lol, within the next 2 years I will be blowing the back wall out and doubling it. That will make it a 4/5 car garage.

So glad I have the hight, 2 post lift is one of the first things on the list. Eric, you know you are more than welcome to come take advantage of the lift once it's in. Albeit a bit of a drive for you, guest bedroom will help with that!

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Well its not a car related update but here's why no car update.

Workshop in the garage is slowly coming along. Have to pull everything out and reorganize the entire garage still. Moved in and the garage became the stuff stuff spot.... grrrr. We'll here's a couple pics for now. It's a mess I know, but lift, new compressor, heater, all going in within the next 2 months the here. Finishing the entire garage next fall.

Where she sits :-(

I do have some small updates car related. Using this winter to get the car freshened up, Tyrol deadset kit sitting here waiting to go on. All new suspension and chassis hardware, brakes, wideband & iat wired in, possible DPI on the water meth setup. Pretty much just getting her all up to snuff for next season, I like where the car is sitting, have all of the internals ready to go for when it blows up and going crazy at that point lol.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
And a pretty cool update on the car, will post pictures tomorrow when they show up. But I picked up a whole set of Golf R brakes. The classifieds never fail in amazing me. Guy on the Tex put his OEM take offs up for free for local pickup, I offered to pay him for the brakes if he would ship and he said he didn't want to make money. So i just had to pay for shipping ($113.37) for his Golf R brakes with under 7k miles on them. Focusing on getting the car ready for next season, this just helped big time.

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
And a pretty cool update on the car, will post pictures tomorrow when they show up. But I picked up a whole set of Golf R brakes. The classifieds never fail in amazing me. Guy on the Tex put his OEM take offs up for free for local pickup, I offered to pay him for the brakes if he would ship and he said he didn't want to make money. So i just had to pay for shipping ($113.37) for his Golf R brakes with under 7k miles on them. Focusing on getting the car ready for next season, this just helped big time.

Pardon my french but holy fuck that's a great deal. Also your garage is starting to look like the ultimate man-cave

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Pardon my french but holy fuck that's a great deal. Also your garage is starting to look like the ultimate man-cave

I am running the same now with Endless MXRS up front and HPS 5.0 on the rear. Work great. Right place, right time..... congrats. Since you save so much on the brakes, splurge on some 2 piece Racing Brake front rotors, should make a huge difference on the track.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Sweet deal on the brakes. At first I wondered why anyone would just give them away but I've sold parts and it's a shitty thing to do. I've resorted to just scraping everything that comes off my car. Giving usable parts away is actually a pretty good choice.

Love the new garage btw

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I am running the same now with Endless MXRS up front and HPS 5.0 on the rear. Work great. Right place, right time..... congrats. Since you save so much on the brakes, splurge on some 2 piece Racing Brake front rotors, should make a huge difference on the track.

I would avoid racing brake, I've heard too many horror stories about failures on those.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI

Great deal on those! What's the weight on those? I went with the 6R wilwoods, which are one of the lightest set-ups out there and I couldn't be happier with the results.