GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project racecar. Build #1

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Pardon my french but holy fuck that's a great deal. Also your garage is starting to look like the ultimate man-cave

Yeah I couldn't believe it. Apparently there was someone else interested in shipping but they weren't responding, so he messaged me a said f it their yours. Shipped before I even paid him lol.

I am running the same now with Endless MXRS up front and HPS 5.0 on the rear. Work great. Right place, right time..... congrats. Since you save so much on the brakes, splurge on some 2 piece Racing Brake front rotors, should make a huge difference on the track.

I'm probably going to get EBC yellow stuff and run the OEM blank rotors for now. Once that setup burns up I'll get nice lightweight cross drilled rotors and reassess the pads. I got these based on your experience by the way!

Sweet deal on the brakes. At first I wondered why anyone would just give them away but I've sold parts and it's a shitty thing to do. I've resorted to just scraping everything that comes off my car. Giving usable parts away is actually a pretty good choice.

Love the new garage btw

Yeah I even offered him money and he just didn't want to make any money on them, said he'd rather see them go to a good home that would get use out of them. And thank you, I love the new garage as well, it's just a disaster right now. Cant wait to get it all organized, clean, finished, and get the lift in :)

Great deal on those! What's the weight on those? I went with the 6R wilwoods, which are one of the lightest set-ups out there and I couldn't be happier with the results.

I was actually looking at getting wilwoods! But I'd rather spend money on the garage and house and get my shop setup. So these R brakes are a nice intermediate for now. I'll get the entire GTI setup and R setup on my digital scale and do a real world side by side.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Well they are big! It's an odd caliper design, so much metal and bracket for one piston. I'll get weights this week and compare both setups. Definitely will eventually get 2 piece lightweight rotors.

You will like the improvement. I put Tyrolsport stiffners on mine. I also have the Tyrolsport Master Bracket (probably overkill for street but probably of some value for track)

I think you save 7lbs of spinning weight per wheel with the 2 piece rotors.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
And officially test fitted. I was worried they wouldn't clear my classix.

They fit! And decided I'm going to leave them black. Run all black calipers, with my wheels it just looks good.

Full install over the next week, maybe get em done this weekend. Want to do a full brake flush while I'm at ot. Definitely overdue!

Edit: Also reclaimed some space. Need to move the car over about 1-2ft.

Last edited:

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
All 4 tires currently off the car, need to put them all back on and move it over about 2ft. Plans for this winter.

All new brakes and install golf R brakes
Front and rear Tyrol deadset kit
Golf R master cylinder and brake flush
Coolant flush
DPI water meth install
Wideband O2 sensor/sender install and hook up wideband gauge
Install IAT sensor and hook up gauge
New tires (possibly wheels)
Oil pressure gauge install
Install all new Eurojet coolant hoses
All new chassis and suspension hardware
Racing harnesses
Racing seats
Kill switch install
Battery relocate to hatch
Probably a few other things I'm forgetting

Focusing on getting ready for the upcoming season, haven't seen a track in 2 years now :-( Will update as progress happens, should be a fun winter!

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Overhaul in full swing! Started at 7am this morning and just wrapped up for the weekend.

Tore the rear brakes down. Holy crap!

Started cleaning them up for the repaint. All new rotors and pads coming soon.

One side done

Then started on the wideband wiring, it will also be on its own independent circuit. So i get to add another switch! Still got room for one more, actually trying to figure out if I can wire the TC switch this way to.

My fast approved.

Finish up the rear caliper refresh through the week and just keep plugging away on everything else.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Been looking around the Web and have been seeing some really good deals on FSI blocks and heads. I'm really tempted to just pick up a bare bones block and head and build a second motor with all my upgraded internals that are sitting in my garage originally meant to build my motor. This way I have 2 motors and when my current motor shits the bead I can swap in the new built motor and rebuild the old one. Never thought I would have 2 motors but it is a racecar and shit happens. For those of you with a lot more experience than me (donjuan, Eurocars, Erball) does this make sense to you guys?