GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI Clutch

I'm interested to know what you and UGTI's driving styles are. Can you explain what the clutch feels like? Does the clutch seem to fade into the power? IDK, maybe I'm not at the same wear point you two are.

My driving style is fairly agressive. I rarely get in the car and get to my destination without going WOT at least once. I don't beat the sh*t out of the car, but I don't baby it by any means.

Red-2009-GTI

Ready to race!
I put a SouthBend Stage 2 Daily in my TSI six weeks ago and a Quaife Limited Slip diff at the same time. Pretty expensive mod but now when it breaks loose it is the tires (both of 'em).
Cold weather tire to road grip is much less that clean tires on warm pavement, but your clutch should not care what the temp is outside should it?

Be forwarned this clutch is not quiet like the stock clutch.

Edit to add: See DBC for good prices (or shop around).

beauy46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 TR GTI
I have 30K on my stock clutch..... have been stage 2 since Summer of 09 with no clutch or MAJOR slipping Issues.

SlickGTIMKv

United_Euros
Car(s)
2009 MKV GTI 6MT
Definitely not, run it up to around 5k rpm leave in gear and let off gas. I never heard such racket, it kind of grows on you though. :smile:

I know just what you're talking about. Had a S2 on my Maxima. Definately not DAILY driver. Though, on DBC, Southbend claims the clutch retains stock feel. After 40K on that clutch, I tore the entire drivetrain apart. Not what I want for the GTI. So how do we get performance clamping pressure with DD feel???

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
Retain the DMF. You can just swap the disc. SBC Stage III disc with stock everything else has been a popular choice.

xplicit

Go Kart Champion
I've had this happen to my tsi as well, but im at 38k and I've been stage 2 since like 1000 miles.

What's really weird about my clutch is this; most of the time it doesn't slip, and then randomly somedays in the cold when i first drive the car it will start to slip a bit, and its usually only in the higher gears, 4,5,6. Anyone know why it randomly does that?

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
It's not random. It does it when it's cold and in high gears. Cold affects it because the clutch works via friction, sort of like a brake pad (clutch disc) and rotor (flywheel and pressure plate). When it's cold, there's less friction, so it slips. Taller gears put more load on the clutch.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
I'd like to know where I'm at, boost wise. Waiting on the P3 Digi Guage still. Is 25lbs expected at S2? I doubt a video will do justice to a slipping clutch. Interested either way.

25psi on tsi engine ?? No. Maybe like 18-19 not 25 man.
My fsi hits 22-23