GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - A3 Throttle Pipe

Scotaku

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I won't offer proof, thats covered above.
I offer facts:

I'm 36, not some ricer fan boi.
I work for an Audi dealership, and have driven many A3's.
two of my best friends are Audi tech's who have owned/built modified VW's and Audis. They both currently drive A3's.
I didn't spend ANY money on the pipe to see if it would make a difference.
It took a whopping 20 minutes to do the swap.

I am telling you, straight out, this mod makes an immediate, and felt improvement to boost pressure build. Don't believe me, fine. I'm done here.

I'm sorry, but I diagree. You've offered little more than your opinion and some probably verifiable characteristics about yourself but no proven, repeatable results befor nor after. Go right on saying how you feel about this mod but please don't confuse that for fact. I value your experience and opinion, but I'm still looking for hard data.

I'll make the same offer AutoXinMkV did. Anyone who wants to lend me their magic A3 pipe for a day's worth of testing, I'll swap it into my car and run a few dozen G-Timer timed runs. The magazines won't test individual mods so I may as well try my hand at it. I test software on a daily basis so I'm pretty sure I could devise a control and test set of tests for various bolt ons.

AutoXinMK5

Touring Car Champion
Yeah, hard data rules.

It'll be all VAG-COM 1/4s and our local shops dyno's for me...

Anyone in the SE VA or NE NC area have one they wanna give up for a bit? If you're local you can just used me EA till it's done.

Fast_78

Passed Driver's Ed
Supplicum, what did you use to cover the hole in the firewall? it looks clean.

Mary and Phil

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, hard data rules.

It'll be all VAG-COM 1/4s and our local shops dyno's for me...

Anyone in the SE VA or NE NC area have one they wanna give up for a bit? If you're local you can just used me EA till it's done.

AutoXin, where can you search for dyno test places?

ukdub

Test Pilot
Just found out that we in the UK have the A3 pipe fitted as standard. Wonder why that is?

ukdub

Test Pilot
Explain please I am drunk it is nearly 1 in the morning hear on a friday night.
hehehe

Mary and Phil

Passed Driver's Ed
Never did anyone say your going to faster or more power with this mod.

Without arguing simple logic, try it out yourself do it the poor way, disconnect the noise pipe at the Y section plug it with something that can stay on but easily removed start your car drive 5 miles.. if your dont notice anything unplug it put the noise pipe back on and ill shake your hand.

supplicum, what's a good temp plug? wadded up paper towels?

plac

GTI Master
i ordered the bypass pipe just cuz i was bored. it will give me something to play with for a week. i might do some very simple boost logging before and after to see if the actual boost matches requested boost graph a little closer. but no promises.

AutoXinMK5

Touring Car Champion
autox, i might buy one here and send it to your place, just to see the difference...

Sounds like a plan....

Lemme know for sure. I'll make sure I've got the dyno time reserved and all.

AutoXinMK5

Touring Car Champion
supplicum, what's a good temp plug? wadded up paper towels?

haha... as soon as you boost up paper towls go flying everywhere... heh

You're best bet if you wanna do it that way is either go to home depot and get a rubber pcv pipe cover (probably in plumbing section) then clamp it down with a hose clamp.

You could also get a piece of radiator hose that fits the hole, cut a few inches off, then get a freeze plug that matches the size and tighten both ends down with a clamp.

I think the real difference in the pipe comes from the audi pipe being one piece. I think having that Y section still on there would only yield "half" of the "performance" one might get. And if the performance gains are that minimal, half of that might not even be felt.

plac

GTI Master
my oem delete pipe arrived today.

i need to find the proper size of cap for the firewall side.

Mary and Phil

Passed Driver's Ed
haha... as soon as you boost up paper towls go flying everywhere... heh

You're best bet if you wanna do it that way is either go to home depot and get a rubber pcv pipe cover (probably in plumbing section) then clamp it down with a hose clamp.

You could also get a piece of radiator hose that fits the hole, cut a few inches off, then get a freeze plug that matches the size and tighten both ends down with a clamp.

I think the real difference in the pipe comes from the audi pipe being one piece. I think having that Y section still on there would only yield "half" of the "performance" one might get. And if the performance gains are that minimal, half of that might not even be felt.

i saw plastic covers.

what's a freeze plug?