GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - A3 Throttle Pipe

Supplicium

Autocross Champion
blkmagic2006gti said:
call me stupid but where is that pipe located exactly i looked all over my GTI and cant find it.

Hey its Supplicium from dubohio.com :wub:

Its dead center in the front middle of your car (from left to right and top to bottom) right infront of your A/C condesor / Intercooler.

Put your hand where you reached to open your hood looks slightly to the left of your hand and youll see a HUGE black tube that connects to it.

If your under your car on the driver side of the intercooler youll see the intercooler piping that connects to the pipe you want to replace.

Hope this helps.

Supplicium

Autocross Champion
If you look at the picture after step 15 look at the dip stick go down a little and to the right and youll see the HUGE black tube with the blue text on it. That connects to the top of the pipe you want to replace.

Scionic

Autocross Newbie
I did this mod last night.

It's not too horribly difficult to do by yourself, but I could see a few places where it wouldn't have been nice to have another pair of hands - the pipe had to go out and the new pipe put in from the bottom, and 2 hands would have relieved a lot of the swearing!

In any case, I was honestly surprised how much of a difference this seems to make. The car seems to get on the turbo a hell of a lot quicker, and the engine feels a lot livelier now. To downshift I can just blip the throttle like I did on my old VR6 instead of the "hold...." required to get the turbo'd engine revved up.

I'm amazed at how much pipe I have sitting in the trunk of my car right now. The change to the noise the car makes is hardly noticable. The car still has that sort of low-level growl it makes when you get on the throttle, it's just dulled a little bit without the noise pipe. And to think VW probably spent in the $100,000s of dollars to add that pipe for the GTI...

mizermoe

I was just wondering why would you spend around $100 to replace the pipe when you can just remove the hose between the pipe and the resonator and cap the two open ends for around $7.

Scionic

Autocross Newbie
Well, it was $62.

And you can go ahead and halfass the job - I don't want to just "cap the open end" when one of the open ends is under boost. That cap flying off under full boost with a bunch of moving parts around = BAD FOR BUSINESS.

Scotaku

FIA World Rally Car Champion
jkaruzas said:
What exactly does this mod. accomplish?

Supplicium said:
Better Throttle response.

Can this be proven? Seriously. Even a lame 0-60 video before and after would help.

I don't think it can. But I am slightly swayed by the A3 being a heavier car and more likely needing any/every advantage it can get. Especially in the purchase price department. Those four rings still cost waaay too much.

Supplicium

Autocross Champion
Scotaku said:
Can this be proven? Seriously. Even a lame 0-60 video before and after would help.

I don't think it can. But I am slightly swayed by the A3 being a heavier car and more likely needing any/every advantage it can get. Especially in the purchase price department. Those four rings still cost waaay too much.

Simple logic would tell you that your response would be improved. Why is it hard for people to understand such a simple thing? Do you understand the concept of deleting the Y? If you want me to explain it I will.

Scionic, first off it was weird as hell meeting you randomly at the autox. 2nd I agree with you, 80 bucks if nothing compared to the 26k I spent on the car. Why half ass something on such a nice car right?

Scotaku

By all means, explain away. All that's changing is the volume of compressed air above the cylinders, not the pressure inside nor the speed at which it's being drawn into the combustion chamber. If the A3 has it for power (which I still doubt) then demonstrate it.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
Scotaku said:
By all means, explain away. All that's changing is the volume of compressed air above the cylinders, not the pressure inside nor the speed at which it's being drawn into the combustion chamber. If the A3 has it for power (which I still doubt) then demonstrate it.

Sco...im starting to like u...as im in the same boat as u....i dont believe that these "delete" pipe does anything and ive yet to see hard evidence that it does do what people say it does

the whole more throttle response is bull cuz of the GTI being drive-by-wire...how can u get more throttle response by removing a pipe when thats controlled by electronics

the rest of the stuff that people say happens when u do this mod...well lets just say i dont believe it and i think its "mental gains"...meaning that u think u feel better reponse and all that cuz u wanna justify your 60 or 80$ u spent

but whatever floats your boat

Scotaku

Lemme defuse this. I'm not looking for an argument or apologetics on the subject. If there is some proof that the Audi pipe does more for the GTI, I'd like to see it. Like I was just saying, cheaper ways to go fast are always welcome!

To me, the GTI's pipe is like the Forge diverter spacer; a noisemaker. But it was in there stock so I'm game to leave it. A little growl now and then is fun. The Forge makes noise at the expense of turbine stall so I'm not a fan of retrofitting one.

I not willing to accept the A3's pipe is better in any way without seeing some proof. I think their pipe doesn't branch to the resonator solely to keep the A3 more quiet inside. Does the GLI have this little Y pipe?

Supplicium

Autocross Champion
Never did anyone say your going to faster or more power with this mod.

Without arguing simple logic, try it out yourself do it the poor way, disconnect the noise pipe at the Y section plug it with something that can stay on but easily removed start your car drive 5 miles.. if your dont notice anything unplug it put the noise pipe back on and ill shake your hand.

hondude

Passed Driver's Ed
The tube that is removed runs to an amplifier (some sort of speaker) in the firewall. That amplifier went bad in my car and buzzed, LOUD, like mad when I hammered the throttle. It took the dealership 3 days and tearing out half my dash to find the problem. It sounded like something was loose inside the dash. Anyway, the problem is gone, but sometimes under the right load I think I hear it again.

IMO, preventing the buzzing noise from a bad amp is the #1 reason to install the A3 pipe. I haven't priced out an amp, but I'm guessing it's more expensive than the A3 pipe.

Dan GSR

Autocross Champion
you serious? its simple physics
with the stock pipe, there is more volume to fill before pressure is made

try filling a empty car tire to 11 psi, then try filling an empty truck tire to 11 psi
guess what , the smaller tire will fill faster

.....this mod is def on my to do list

will it make more power? probably not, cuz your still talking about the same pressure....will it make a difference in lag, absolutely, just a matter of if your butt can feel it or not....it may or may not be significant...but it is there

ive heard of more than 1 person saying that it increased throttle response
and that is one of my complaints with this car, the throttle response for rev matching and heel toe....isn't up to par

Scotaku

But you're not filling an empty tire. In fact, you're filling a hungry vaccuum; one that is already drawing even to ambient air pressure just getting to the 2000 rpm mark where added pressure starts overcoming the vaccuum state of each open intake valve pair. Sure, it's simple physics, but once the 11psi tires are filled, taking either one to 12psi is more a function of which container will resist more and whether or not you have the pressure difference to supply one "faster" than the other.

I stand ready to accept documented proof that the A3 pipe is better in most any way now. It's been well established it's quieter (but I haven't seen anyone removing the actual resonator yet, just capping it off). It's almost certainly lighter weight but I don't think it's 100lbs worth. I'm also pretty sure there is no horsepower gain either, but I've said I'm waiting to be proven wrong. Go shave two seconds off your lap time or trap your car faster through the lights and illustrate this throttle response. Until then, I'm not convinced.

Nimble

Oval Champion
Scotaku said:
But you're not filling an empty tire. In fact, you're filling a hungry vaccuum; one that is already drawing even to ambient air pressure just getting to the 2000 rpm mark where added pressure starts overcoming the vaccuum state of each open intake valve pair. Sure, it's simple physics, but once the 11psi tires are filled, taking either one to 12psi is more a function of which container will resist more and whether or not you have the pressure difference to supply one "faster" than the other.

I stand ready to accept documented proof that the A3 pipe is better in most any way now. It's been well established it's quieter (but I haven't seen anyone removing the actual resonator yet, just capping it off). It's almost certainly lighter weight but I don't think it's 100lbs worth. I'm also pretty sure there is no horsepower gain either, but I've said I'm waiting to be proven wrong. Go shave two seconds off your lap time or trap your car faster through the lights and illustrate this throttle response. Until then, I'm not convinced.

You're an idiot. There is no way to prove throttle response. It's been stated already that the pipe doesn't add hp/tq. So when you hit the throttle in your GTI, the pipe has to fill up, make that "cool noise" you ricers like, and then you go. Whereas, in a GTI without the pipe, you hit the throttle and you go....right by your car, but hey, you sound cooler. :laugh: