GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by Colleton

1. C

Flip key for an '08 GTI

My son traded our old '08 GTI in on another car back in January, and I still have the 2nd flip-key for the car. He traded the car in another state and I have no way of contacting the new owner. Does the key have value to another MKV owner? Can it be programmed for someone else's car? It has...
  2. C

Bought my wife a Focus ST yesterday

We picked up a Focus ST (252 HP, 270 lbft torque) for my wife yesterday afternoon. It's an ST2, Tangerine Scream, with moonroof and nav. TS/black Recaros. Traded her 2010 Fusion Sport in on it. We test drove it this past Saturday, drove around a bit last night, and I'm driving it today to/from...
  3. C

40K Maintenance

Taking our 2008 GTI in for the 40K mile maintenance package today. The service advisor estimated $850 for the work.
  4. C

New tire recommendations

Our 2008 GTI just rolled over 30K this past week, so I took a look at the tire tread today. Wear bars are close to the surface, we'll need new tires within the next 6 months at the outside. I looked around a bit this evening and these Hankook tires look pretty good. What do you guys think...
  5. C

The Rabbit and the Snake

Thought some of you might like this: http://picasaweb.google.com/colleton.m1/RabbitAndSnake?feat=directlink Enjoy!
  6. C

Hot little car

I was returning a truck to a friend today and my wife was following me in the GTI to give me a ride back home. I never got to see it in action before, as I was always the one driving it. I have to admit, it's a pretty hot looking car when it's in motion, and the votex kit really adds a lot to...
  7. C

My GT500

I still have the GTI, so I'm not a complete heretic, but I thought some of you would enjoy this. My 2009 GT500. 5.4L V8, supercharged, 500HP. Fast. I had the windows tinted today (30% front/15% rear, legal limits in FL according to the tint shop) then washed it when I got home from work before...
  8. C

Turning to the dark side...

I've had my GTI for a little over a year now and have really enjoyed driving it. Such a great car. APR stage 1 bumped the fun factor up another notch, and made me want even more. I've thought hard about dumping money into an APR K04 kit, but decided it was just too much for what I'd get in...
  9. C

DSG Problem Resolved

So, about a month and a half ago I got in my 2008 GTI to go to work and the engine wouldn't start. I look at the MFD and I see the dreaded flashing PRNDS lights. Turn the key to the off position and try again. The car starts right up, worked fine, no CEL or flashing lights. So I go to work and...
  10. C

Votex Installation PDF Files

A lot of people had asked for these so I scanned them in today. Here's the link: http://www.firemission.com/votex/ On the side skirt instructions - I had called my local VW dealership's parts department to order the adhesive kit called for in the instructions, only to find that VW no longer...
  11. C

Votex Kit Arrives

A while back I had ordered a new Tornado Red OEM Votex kit from bud@checkeredflagvw over on the vortex. It arrived today. It took a little longer than expected, but that's OK. I'm glad it's here. Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/colleton.m1/Votex# As you can see it was packed very nicely...
  12. C

GTIs in Germany

Just spent a week in Germany visiting my wife's family in and around Zweibrucken. I was specifically on the look out for GTIs, but they were few and far between. My brother-in-law told me that they cost over 30K Euro and not as many people there can afford them. BTW, at ~1.4 dollars to the euro...
  13. C

My next car...

I love my GTI, but while it has given me a taste for fast, it can't fulfill the desire without me spending 8K+ and invalidating the warranty. So... Sometime in the next 6 months my wife will inherit the GTI and I'll be getting either a Challenger SRT8 or a Camaro SS. It'll probably be the...
  14. C

CEL - P0234 "Overboost Condition"

I've gotten this cel twice now in the past week. Both times were when I was WOT, accelerating hard. The cel lit at ~80 mph both times. Also, and I don't know if this is related or not, but the car went into limp mode for a bit yesterday. What could be causing this? I'm stage 1 APR if that...
  15. C

OEM Euro GTI Springs?

Saw these on oempl.us: http://oempl.us/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75_23_30&products_id=144 How much of a drop would I actually expect to see with these springs, and would the ride quality stay the same? Would I need new shocks or anything? Thanks!