GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New tire recommendations

Colleton

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI w/DSG
Our 2008 GTI just rolled over 30K this past week, so I took a look at the tire tread today. Wear bars are close to the surface, we'll need new tires within the next 6 months at the outside.

I looked around a bit this evening and these Hankook tires look pretty good. What do you guys think? Any suggestions and or recommendations for new tires would be appreciated.

Tempted2Speed

is cooler than you
Car(s)
2007 GTI CW 6MT
From what Ive read Kumho SPT is a good tire and Im also considering these along with General Exclaim UHP which hads good reviews and good prices also.

Hankooks are great performance tires, but dont even think about them lasting 30k miles lol

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
I can't say enough good things about the Exclaim UHP's. I finally got another set, and I couldn't be happier. IMO one of the best bangs for the buck for street use.

Car(s)
08 UG GTi
I have the same tires OP mine are 215/40/18 and are great. Zero noise and worth the money

65dunebuugy

insert custom title here
what about Falken Azenis RT-615 or Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec are these good tires to run for track and street use?? there priced right and the falkens have a $80 rebate so there are cheaper yet

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Just personally, both sets of falkens I've owned got about 5,000 miles on them and they started to get extremely noisey. So much so I removed a set that probably had 10,000 miles of tread left. I don't have any 1st hand experience with the z1's but I think you'd be hard pressed to get 10-15,000 miles of life out of them.

I just got took my set of Fuzion ZRi's off, and your right. They are definatly a more performance oriented tire. I liked them a lot and lasted a good long while, but lacked in comfort because the sidewalls feel like bricks. If you don't mind a little harsher ride for a little more performance they are a fantastic tire.

Red-2009-GTI

Ready to race!
I have about 1000 miles on a set of Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec in 225/45 ZR 17, they give me great grip. Tire Racks price was $126 each if I recall Also concider the Bridgestone RE760's at a couple dollars less.

For my money the Dunlops Direzza was a easy winner, BUT they are not an all-weather tire. If you live where it gets cold (not here!) buy what works for you and the weather you have.

As for the speculation of early wear-out, I am willing to trade off some tire life for exceptional traction. And I bet I get good life out of them anyway, hard to be roasting the tires ALL the time.:happyanim:

Tempted2Speed

is cooler than you
Car(s)
2007 GTI CW 6MT
Hankook Ventus RS2's from what I hear everywhere are crazy awesome cheap tires but issue is they'll last you like 15k lol

TornadoFast09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MkV GTI
I have Continental ContiSportContact 2's and they are great. I think they are $212 a piece though.

There is a new version out...called the ContiSportContact 3, and they are $192 a piece and have much better rating from www.tirerack.com

Colleton

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI w/DSG
thanks for the feedback everyone, I think we're going to try the Hankooks.