GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front Passenger Seat Belt not "Locking" when braking

Stranded in Daytona

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 2 door TR GTI
So, starting a few weeks ago, my front passenger seat belt has stopped locking up when I brake... resulting in my wife refusing to get into the car.

This is a dilemma because we leave for Helen, GA in a few weeks haha.

Is there anything I should look at to try and fix it?

If not, I have another question: Are the 2-door and 4-door Front Passenger Seat Belts the same? Can I swap them out directly? Or do I need a 2-door specific seat belt?

Thanks guys

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
Just wondering, was your car ever in an accident? I was wondering if that might be a reason for the seat belt failure. It's never happened in my vehicle and seems rare on the VW chat sites, but FWIW, I don't think I'd mess around with a malfunctioning seat belt mechanism unless you don't plan to have any passengers. You might be able to find a new one from a wrecking yard, in good condition -- since many accidents occur with only the driver belted in and not the passenger.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
They aren't supposed to lock all the way when you brake, its only supposed to lock under emergency braking or when the belt is extended quickly (actually has nothing to do with the brakes). With your hand, grab the belt and give it a very quick tug and see if it locks. If it does, it's fine.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion

Stranded in Daytona

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 2 door TR GTI
So I fixed the seat belt locking issue... turns out it was getting binded up in a weird way under the piece where you adjust the "height" of the seat belt.

But, it's still extremely slow to retract. I have tried cleaning/washing the seat belt and wd-40's the gears in the mechanism. It retracts really fast up until the last 12" or so... then it gets slow/slack.

Are you coming down for SoWhat?

Yuuup. I'm the main admin for the Sowo, Helen fb group and one of the main admins for the SoWhat fb page.

A guy in my group is the one that designed the SoWhat t-shirt/logo ;)

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Yuuup. I'm the main admin for the Sowo, Helen fb group and one of the main admins for the SoWhat fb page.

A guy in my group is the one that designed the SoWhat t-shirt/logo ;)

Interesting. I just ordered a shirt last night haha. I'll be there... in my totally stock MK7 haha.