GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project racecar. Build #1

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Sweet. Did you do by hand or rent a trencher?

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Sweet. Did you do by hand or rent a trencher?

Bet your sweet ass I did that by hand. Me and 2 buddies kicked it out in about 4 hours. 90ft at least 12" deep.

Also, rearranged the garage in prep for actually using the lift and to gain some more work space. Not done yet and need to get rid of the damn heavy bag. But really liking the new setup and tool box.

Upgraded the soundsystem, now have 2 subs, 4 speakers and tied the TV into it. Can now blast movies and Hawks games while I work or hang. Freed up a lot of work room in front of the bay without the lift, that will be my engine pulling Bay. Conduit getting laid this week, new electrical box and lift getting wired up this weekend. Mini fridge, toaster oven and microwave going in. Clearing out some space on the loft to put my poker table and some chairs up there. The man cave/shop is coming along nicely. Will be a much nicer environment to work on the racecar and other projects this winter.

Last edited:

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Took the beast out last night for one last cruise to my local VW meet and go kart event. I don't want the season to be over :-(

I may or may not have raced a buddy of mine in his built 350 Z and got crazy wheel hop followed by a false neutral. Hasn't done that in a long time!

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Control arm bushings too.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Piecing together another BBK, wish this was my front and rear setup but alas it is not. Picked up some Porsche boxter front brakes and piecing this one together as we speak. Want to do a side by side comparison of the Golf R/R32 brakes and the boxter brakes. This will be the 4th brake setup I've had on the car, so far the Golf R/R32 brakes have been my favorite but they are heavy as hell. The 17z setup was fantastic, a little too much pedall travel but made modulation easy and when you got deep the REALLY stopped. Hoping the boxter setup will bridge the gap of weight and stopping power.

The calipers are CRAZY light.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Lol come over an check my boxsters out. You order up the rest of the goodies?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Lol, I'll be right over...... in 15 hours. I'll be ordering the brackets, banjo bolts, pads and rotors over the next two weeks. Need to space out the money going out right now. Just dropped some serious coin on everything I need to finish up the 220 run for the lift. Laying conduit and pulling wire today, I love our GTI's, that's 100ft of conduit right there baby.

I'm trying to think if I know anyone who has tried this many brake setups (Stock/aftermarket stock, 17z, Golf R, Boxter), I might as well pickup a stoptech kit and try that while I'm at it lol.

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
Haha, yea i just ordered everyones xmas presents. And j found someone whos selling gti front.an rear oem bumpers both freshly painted candy white

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Getting my winter parts list together. It's bigger than I thought lol, guess there plenty more work to do.

Have to finish up pieceing together the Boxter brake setup. All in I'll have a really nice setup with dimpled and slotted rotor, Hawk track pads and braided steel lines for under $700.

I'm going to do as close to scientific as I can get real world tests/comparisons of the Golf R/R32 and Boxter brake setups. Both can be pieced together for around the same price and both are a big upgrade from stock. I will be performing 60-0, 100-0 stopping distance tests, on track fade tests and pedal modulation tests. Whichever I find to be the best I'll put on the racecar and the other setup will go on the daily. I'll be able to post empirical evidence of the two setups.

Last edited:

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Well I bought the fender flares last night. Found a good deal on a set of the ECS carbon fiber flares that I couldn't pass up on. So those will be going on this winter. I'm also going to start slowly getting some stuff ordered to rebuild the trans and the last few things I need for the motor build.

*List for this winter*
-Fender flares
-Boxter brakes
-HPA/VWR dogbone puck
-Lug stud conversion
-Whiteline bumpsteer install
-Camber plates
-Rear camber arms (if needed)
-Finally get corner balance/alignment
-Modified Grill (speedholes)
-Brake cooling ducts
-Mishimoto radiator

I'm sure there is more I'm missing right now but I'll update is it comes up.