GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project racecar. Build #1

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Any planned dates for Road America or Blackhawk? I usually do about 8 track days per year and would really like to look at your car.

If you see a blue MK 2 Scirocco track car (that's really loud) - it's probably me.

Well I'll be at Blackhawk for sure, Road America towards the end of the season. It's my wife's first year of track so Road America will have to wait I'll she more seat time. Right now we have April 30th autox with Porsche club, May27th at Grattan, then undetermined dates for Gingerman, black hawk and Autobahn country club with a few more autox events mixed in. Would definitely like to hook up for a few events this year. There's actually a couple other members that are trying to get out together from here. We should all coordinate at least one event together.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
It looks so purposeful sitting on the trailer like that, can't wait to see if once it's back home.

Yes she does, my little trailer queen lol. Small delay on the car, they have the fronts done and the rear 1/3 of the way. They wanted to epoxy seal the inner side of the weld which added some time. Going to pick her up after work tomorrow.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
oh giddity!!! It will finally be alive! So, I didn't catch it, but this still has a K03, right?

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
oh giddity!!! It will finally be alive! So, I didn't catch it, but this still has a K03, right?

Oh man am I excited! And you are correct, DM stage 2+ W/M K03. Plans for a BW EFR and built motor are in the works for next winter. Still on the fence between the EFR and just getting the whole HPA hybrid K04 kit (intake manifold, turbo, tune). We'll see what happens, it's coming down to insulating/finishing/heating the garage or building the motor and going bigger turbo.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Ok, was trying to wait till I picked it up but I cant. Body shop just sent me some pictures. Here's a teaser for now, I'll get more when she's home.

I will say, after flare purchase price and install, this is the single most expensive thing I've done to the car aside from the coilovers.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Looking great! Unfortunately its not a good angle to really show of the awesomeness.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
my vote goes for leaving the CF raw! #racecar
Looks good man!!

BTW I use Rhino Ramps that I bought at my local Autozone/Orileys and then I went to Home Depot and bought a 2x8 that I cut to stick out ~`foot in front of the ramps so I can get up without scraping (I also added a small "block" at the back to keep the rhino ramps in place).
I even took a can of plastidip and sprayed the top and bottom for a little bit of extra grip.

Works like a champ!

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Too dark to get anything good, got one good teaser till daytime tomorrow. Dear lord and all that is holy does it need to come way down lol. I can safely run 2" lower than where it's at now. Ride hight will be determined by splitter to road hight and the corner balance. Just have to finish up the rear spindle and camber/toe arms.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
That rub strip really needs to go.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
If you drop it 2", will you have to raise the steering rack?

There's no way in hell I'd ever go that low lol, was just stating how much room I have now. Will probably go 1" and see where the splitter sits. I'll dial it in from there and then have CPT do the final adjustment with the corner balance. Remember I'm at near stock ride hight right now, literally as high as the Eibachs would allow. I'm changing and have changed every suspension component on the car so the alignment is wack right now. There's a lot of dialing in to do but I won't go low enough I'll have to worry about changing the steering rack or axle slapping frame issues.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
That rub strip really needs to go.

Lol, I love how much that bugs you. I'll get it off in due time, just not on the top of the priority list. Especially since it involves bondo and repainting. It's and expensive little thing to remove and the fun fund is pretty much tapped.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Won't lowering the car too much affect the actual suspension geometry that was intended? I realize your car does not have OEM (to the car) control arms or spindles, but isn't that still something to factor in?