GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

(Yet Another) Cam Follower Install Question

3szoom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 UG GTI
I tried searching for this but couldn't find the exact answer I'm looking for.

I just changed my cam follower this afternoon following the Dummy Proof directions. Everything went fine but when I tried installing the new follower I couldn't quite get it to go in.

What I ended up doing was using the spring on the fuel pump to push the cam follower and then used the bolts to torque it into place to spec. Everything fit fine and I proceeded to get everything back together. I primed the pump about 5 or 6 times and the car started fine and runs great.

I'm being kind of paranoid here and I just wanted to make sure that I won't destroy the cam by the way I installed the follower. Thanks!

Last edited:

ssunnylee24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 CW DSG GTI
If you didn't install the cam follower the right way, you would've found that out already.
It's good to go man.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
lube that sob up

3szoom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 UG GTI
Yeah, I put some oil on it before putting it in but I guess next time I'll put more. I kinda I figured that if I didn't do it right I would have found out right away, but since it was the first time I had done it the more I thought about it the more I got worried.

On a side note, my car has 35xxx miles on it and I've had it chipped since about 10000 miles. It looks like the DLC coating had completely worn off but the surface of the follower and the cam lobe were both smooth. I'll be sure to do this again every 10-15k miles or so.

Thanks everyone- you helped put my mind at ease.

Moses

Go Kart Champion
looks like you didn't mess anything up.

but the follower will go in, it just has to be at a precise angle. the hole is barely wide enough to fit the follower. i've encountered the same problem, just take your time and don't get frustrated.

3szoom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 UG GTI
So as follow-up, I did install the cam-follower correctly. Unfortunatly I didn't tighten the damn nut for the fuel line enough and it's leaking a little bit of gas. FFFFUUUU!!!