GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which KO4 software to purchase?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
DD tunes would reduce my choices to APR, GIAC, and UNI...as Eurodyne, REVO would be for those wanting to be a bit more involved.

As for....
What are people's preferred KO4 tuners?
Pick which ever has a dealer close to you or if more than one is nearby...select the dealer you'd rather be dealing with because from ↑those↑ first three mentioned you'll get drive-ability. GIAC and APR had dealers nearby here in the Portland area and I don't like either of those APR dealer people and places. Made the choice for GIAC much easier as I already learned from many here that there are no real differences between them all. The tunes may divide some here when the topic is discussed, but the truth is is that they are all drive-able, give very similar power, and cost nearly the same. So it comes down to service by the Tune's dealer and the Tune company themselves...and then there's options, and cost. Spend time looking through the options and how they switch modes. APR = you need to learn the way to use the CC stick. GIAC = you plug in the switch loader and push to select. UNI = no idea how to change modes :iono: ←You can ignore all this if you are just going to get the pump fuel tune :thumbsup:

But you will not start another Tune war :yikes: We're all on to that...LOL :wink:
I think if there was an accurate study done...you'd find that people's preference is determined by where they are and which dealers were nearby. I chose GIAC because I like the guys at Techtonics Tuning more than those at HM Motorsport and Futrell's(both APR dealers).

Last edited:

FMX_DBC

Dirt Bike Craig
Car(s)
'06 Tornado Red GTI
Not trying to start anything haha.
Thanks for all the info.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
LOL...it just sometimes happens when the question comes up "which tune is preferred". The reality is that it happens because folks are simply happy with their tunes. When not happy, most times it isn't the tune...it's the folks they deal with regarding the tune.

If I saw folks blowing me off the road with other tunes...I may have switched...but that didn't happen. Over the years there haven't been one or two tuner's tunes that stood out dramatically more than the rest. If they sold more...it's because they had more dealers spread throughout the country.

Remember, I tried DM for two years because "supposed to be more power". The DM tune never beat my GIAC 1/4 ET or trap and its driveability was chunkier. Then there was the rebuild needed at 120k because of pinched piston rings. Driveability, customer service, and ease of use holds value over more power. If you've had good experiences with your APR dealer then great. If there's another Tuner's dealer nearby and you'd rather deal with them...switch and try them. You can always switch back because you own the tune.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI

holly01

interesting thread, I also have the same question

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
All I'm saying....don't go with UM...

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
A few years back I did a K04 for my track oriented 08 GTI w/FSI. With high hopes I went with Unitronic and used S3 injectors. This was a mistake, the software presented problems under track conditions and Uni wouldn't/couldn't help me resolve it. This was after they verified it was a software problem (my fuel system was perfect). If I did it again I would have to look at APR since they have a lot of experience at the track. GIAC and Revo are also good tuners that I've never had issues with in the past. The goal of a tune shouldn't necessarily be wringing max HP, it should be a blend of drive-ability, support, smoothness, and freedom from bugs or weird behavior.

I'm at the point where I think modifying the factory software on new cars isn't a good move anymore, if you want more power, dig deeper into the pocket to get a faster car, or get an older one that is less complicated to tune.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
I would never ever expect APR to do anything custom for a customer.

Do they even have the capability to do so if you appeared in Alabama with a suitcase full of cash? Read the shop was for sale and a lot of people dont work there anymore.

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
A few years back I did a K04 for my track oriented 08 GTI w/FSI. With high hopes I went with Unitronic and used S3 injectors. This was a mistake, the software presented problems under track conditions and Uni wouldn't/couldn't help me resolve it. This was after they verified it was a software problem (my fuel system was perfect). If I did it again I would have to look at APR since they have a lot of experience at the track. GIAC and Revo are also good tuners that I've never had issues with in the past. The goal of a tune shouldn't necessarily be wringing max HP, it should be a blend of drive-ability, support, smoothness, and freedom from bugs or weird behavior.

I'm at the point where I think modifying the factory software on new cars isn't a good move anymore, if you want more power, dig deeper into the pocket to get a faster car, or get an older one that is less complicated to tune.

What issues were you having at the track?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR

Oh man you are taking all the fun out of it. Modding and conquering the problems are just as much a part of the journey as enjoying a good run at the track after you get things dialed in (for me). However, I hear you, if that part of the journey is one you want to skip it is best to stay factory for the fewest issues. I ran with GIAC and DM and both were solid with K04, I think you just got unlucky.

FMX_DBC

Dirt Bike Craig
Car(s)
'06 Tornado Red GTI
I think I'll end up going with APR because of the local support and cost of upgrading being a current customer. My local dealer is only a couple miles away.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
What issues were you having at the track?

On the street the Uni code ran OK, on the track it thought there were overboost conditions and would occasionally cut boost for no reason. Happened at Road Atlanta fairly regularly - I'd come out of turn 7, upshift to 4th to start the blast down the back straight, and the car would cut boost, I'd let off the gas for a second or two, hit it and full boost again. Repeated fuel system logging showed pressure and other parameters all within spec. Uni confirmed it was their software, confirmed a few other track rats were seeing similar issues but wouldn't commit to a fix.

While I like solving problems, I paid Unitronic for working software and they couldn't deliver, at least not for the conditions I was subjecting the car to. I don't buy software with the expectation I may need to disassemble it and correct their bugs. Running a car at a track is a LOT different than on the street, puts it under sustained stress for long periods, you might ask your tuner if they ever tested their software under such conditions. Given APR's racing background their software should have benefited from that experience.