GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When to clean FSI carbon build up?

JonnyBigBoss

Passed Driver's Ed
So I purchased a 2008 GTI with the 2.0T FSI engine a couple months ago. It's been great to me but there's one symptom that worries me. When I start the car in the morning for the first time it takes a couple seconds to start. I can hear it go up in pitch then drop with a bass note before finally starting. The more time that passes between usage the worse it gets. The worst I had was 2 days ago when it took about 2.5-3 seconds to start.

I'm beginning to think its carbon build up since that's a known issue and the car has 79k miles on it. I was quoted $700 from the local VW dealer. That said, I'm wondering when it's a good time to have this service done.

Thanks in advance.

thewhiteone

Ready to race!
you could try using nonshitty gas like shell gasoline and fuel additives to help break down build up behind the valves. B&G 44k works very well! id recommend using this as a monthly maintenance item.

Millennium Falcon

Ready to race!
In all honesty you're not going to know how bad it is with out actually seeing it. Being in Cali I'm sure there are local VW/audi shops who will do it for cheaper than that. If you've never done it nor do you know if its been done, those fuel additives or stuff you put in your tank wont help right away.

If you have a garage or a place to work on your car it isnt hard to take off the intake manifold. YOu could do it with some solvent and scraping tools, but if you do not feel comfortable just pay someone. Good Luck!

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I clean mine with 12oz of mineral spirit every 10k miles. Fuel and their additives will do noting for cleaning the intake valves. BG44k is 30% mineral spirits and mine is 100%. To date, and mileage of 100800 miles, I've seen no misfires. Most of the build up is from the recycled vapor. So you can work a miracle cleaning those up to help, add a catch can that helps a bit, or do a blow-by on a scheduled interval.

My diy vids...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykenBjJ8XZM

If you can figure any other method as a sprayer that will spray a Fine Mist it works too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESElbx5qmc8

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
you could try using nonshitty gas like shell gasoline and fuel additives to help break down build up behind the valves. B&G 44k works very well! id recommend using this as a monthly maintenance item.

Our fuel never touches the valves.

melancholygypsy

Bring out the Gimp
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Could also be your battery dying, my car did this when the battery was going... Just a thought

07GTI-2.0T

Go Kart Champion
have you changed the fuel filter. Long/hard starts often equals overdue fuel filter. For the record I'm 20 miles from 125k miles and have never had the valves cleaned. Its on my to do list but I don't have any driveability issues. Hopefully when I do it will feel like I gained 20hp.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
have you changed the fuel filter. Long/hard starts often equals overdue fuel filter. For the record I'm 20 miles from 125k miles and have never had the valves cleaned. Its on my to do list but I don't have any driveability issues. Hopefully when I do it will feel like I gained 20hp.

My valves looked absolutely horrid when I had them cleaned at 105k. Looked like they had barnacles of tar encrusting those fuckers.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Did it feel like you gained 20hp lol

Yes.

But that was mainly because my K03 was toast and got replaced by a K04 at the same time I had my valves cleaned. :thumbup: