GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's wrong with this picture?

mikeyriot

Passed Driver's Ed
What's up guys. Just bought my first vw/gti about a month ago. Let me pre-emt this by saying when I bought the car I was told it didn't come with a manual. That being said, the cluster passenger airbag light was also on when I bought it. So, I'm looking all over damn place for the passenger airbag switch which most cars have and what do I find? The effing owners manual. The guy apparently didn't know it was there the whole time he owned it. Not sure how he missed when installing the deck but anyway. Long story short, if you'll notice, the key switch for the airbag is completely missing from the glove box. I haven't ripped apart the dash yet to see if it's dangling back there but my question is, is there a way to hardwire it to the on position to get the light to go off? And, well, so my passengers aren't just like "well, **** my life huh?"

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

vwengineer

Ready to race!
What's up guys. Just bought my first vw/gti about a month ago. Let me pre-emt this by saying when I bought the car I was told it didn't come with a manual. That being said, the cluster passenger airbag light was also on when I bought it. So, I'm looking all over damn place for the passenger airbag switch which most cars have and what do I find? The effing owners manual. The guy apparently didn't know it was there the whole time he owned it. Not sure how he missed when installing the deck but anyway. Long story short, if you'll notice, the key switch for the airbag is completely missing from the glove box. I haven't ripped apart the dash yet to see if it's dangling back there but my question is, is there a way to hardwire it to the on position to get the light to go off? And, well, so my passengers aren't just like "well, **** my life huh?"

I guess that if you locate the connector going to the key switch you could do something, not sure about shorting it but maybe.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Just a side note since I see that you have your car listed as a 2006 with an updated head unit... My 2006 with a Pioneer had a constant draw on the battery. It has something to do with the canbus, gateway, module or something (memory is a bit fuzzy since I sold that car over a year ago).

tl;dr - My battery would be completely dead and need replaced every two years (at the most) because of the aftermarket head unit.

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
Being in the US I have never heard of the airbag switch in the glove box. I found a picture of one but it doesn't look like you have a spot for it...?

Edit*, wait, OP, you're in the US too, I'm pretty sure you don't have a switch.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
US MKV's don't have the key, they use a pressure bladder in the passanger seat. No way to turn it off without vagcom. If it's throwing a code it's probably in the harness or bladder. The dash light will always be on if no one is in the seat (not the airbag like in the gauge cluster).

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Edit*, wait, OP, you're in the US too, I'm pretty sure you don't have a switch.

This. Be careful when researching this platform. There are a lot of small things that are different between US and RoW cars.

US MKV's don't have the key, they use a pressure bladder in the passanger seat. No way to turn it off without vagcom. If it's throwing a code it's probably in the harness or bladder. The dash light will always be on if no one is in the seat (not the airbag like in the gauge cluster).

I had an airbag light from a worn out seat belt buckle. Replaced the buckle myself (easy - http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186929) and then made a trip to the local shop to get the airbag fault in the gauge cluster cleared. Vagcom would also work for the fault light.

mikeyriot

Passed Driver's Ed
Good to know about us differences. The owners manual shows a picture of the switch so I didn't think anything of it. I'll have get a shop to read it I guess. Thanks!