GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Provide any slight form of data to back this.
With open intakes. On crazy hot days too, I’m sure there would be a loss of power. Especially after sitting at the tracks waiting on a long ass train to pass. But as soon as you’re in motion the temps should drop closer to ambient eventually

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
With open intakes. On crazy hot days too, I’m sure there would be a loss of power. Especially after sitting at the tracks waiting on a long ass train to pass. But as soon as you’re in motion the temps should drop closer to ambient eventually
That's exactly why I got the ECS air inlet. I regret getting an open intake.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
That's exactly why I got the ECS air inlet. I regret getting an open intake.
Not an elegant solution but it works very well. Better than the oem duct with the driver side cut open

I gave mine to @Raguvian and he has a 3D printer. He’s gonna make a thingy that will go in the middle. Meant to prop it up and avoid sag while still allowing air to flow from the passenger side to the drivers side

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Not an elegant solution but it works very well. Better than the oem duct with the driver side cut open

I gave mine to @Raguvian and he has a 3D printer. He’s gonna make a thingy that will go in the middle. Meant to prop it up and avoid sag while still allowing air to flow from the passenger side to the drivers side
Great. Let me know when he does it and I'll buy one from him. Certainly will be better than my zip ties. 👍

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

Provide data to back this up.

Better yet provide the data that the hp you lose while sitting STILL will affect an end user😂

I have ran 4 different intake setups on my car modded stock, IE v1, injen evolution, injen style cheap open intake, and I have ran the the cheap open with and without the heat shroud - on all these setups I consistently would have the data visible of IATs in real time (not a Reddit log😂)NEVER did I see a significant affect in temps WHILE driving and in motion.

Yes an open intake sucking in initial air that’s 5-6 degrees higher after sitting still and just making boost can affect wastegate effort at spool up (which uses 100% anyways) beyond that it’s sucking in so much air it’s irrelevant.

Just like you love to battle about intercoolers and people repeating trash on the Internet…. The theory that a open intake on a FORCED INDUCTION car robs powers cause heats soaks is that same situation that you’ve bought into. Yes open shorty intakes affect NA with hot

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Provide data to back this up.

Better yet provide the data that the hp you lose while sitting STILL will affect an end user😂

I have ran 4 different intake setups on my car modded stock, IE v1, injen evolution, injen style cheap open intake, and I have ran the the cheap open with and without the heat shroud - on all these setups I consistently would have the data visible of IATs in real time (not a Reddit log😂)NEVER did I see a significant affect in temps WHILE driving and in motion.

Yes an open intake sucking in initial air that’s 5-6 degrees higher after sitting still and just making boost can affect wastegate effort at spool up (which uses 100% anyways) beyond that it’s sucking in so much air it’s irrelevant.

Just like you love to battle about intercoolers and people repeating trash on the Internet…. The theory that a open intake on a FORCED INDUCTION car robs powers cause heats soaks is that same situation that you’ve bought into. Yes open shorty intakes affect NA with hot
Only data I could provide would be how quick the intake filter temps drop to ambient on the stock air duct vs the ecs duct (plastic, not the cf one) vs stock with the American drivers side cut open. I’ve seen as hot as over 60f over ambient

I ran three different ducts. And two different intake. The most stable intake temps (according to my ghetto method, used a meat probe) came from a closed injen intake. While the one that partied the hardest came from an open intake

but I didn’t dyno at each temp range or anything like that. I’m just going off of common sense. U suck in hotter air, considering how shit the stock intercooler is, it now has to shed as much as that heat as possible. Wastegate be damned, it can only adjust so much

and even in worse case scenario’s. I’d guess one wouldn’t be down more than 5% power. And as soon as u started moving forward again temps would get closer to ambient

you know, a rock can kick up from the street. Hit your exhaust pipe. Cause a dent. And that can alter your power out put. Over a tiny dent. Will it be significant? No. Will it make a permanent change? Yes

this isn’t about intercoolers, no need to bring up the brainwashed chumps. Let those poor bastards be. It’s bad enough they think an intercooler up against the radiator will perform better. Why u gotta be so mean?

the way cold air makes a car feel peppier, that’s a real thing. Why couldn’t it work the other way around. In the coldest weather one could dyno a small hair higher. In the hottest weather why couldn’t one dyno a small hair lower? See? It’s like that.

This message brought to you by the fmic gang. If she ain’t in the front then neither will u. Bang bang

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Bruh it's common sense

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Bruh it's common sense
1626189997303.jpeg

After @El_bigote_AJ follows the science

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Only data I could provide would be how quick the intake filter temps drop to ambient on the stock air duct vs the ecs duct (plastic, not the cf one) vs stock with the American drivers side cut open. I’ve seen as hot as over 60f over ambient

I ran three different ducts. And two different intake. The most stable intake temps (according to my ghetto method, used a meat probe) came from a closed injen intake. While the one that partied the hardest came from an open intake

but I didn’t dyno at each temp range or anything like that. I’m just going off of common sense. U suck in hotter air, considering how shit the stock intercooler is, it now has to shed as much as that heat as possible. Wastegate be damned, it can only adjust so much

and even in worse case scenario’s. I’d guess one wouldn’t be down more than 5% power. And as soon as u started moving forward again temps would get closer to ambient

you know, a rock can kick up from the street. Hit your exhaust pipe. Cause a dent. And that can alter your power out put. Over a tiny dent. Will it be significant? No. Will it make a permanent change? Yes

this isn’t about intercoolers, no need to bring up the brainwashed chumps. Let those poor bastards be. It’s bad enough they think an intercooler up against the radiator will perform better. Why u gotta be so mean?

the way cold air makes a car feel peppier, that’s a real thing. Why couldn’t it work the other way around. In the coldest weather one could dyno a small hair higher. In the hottest weather why couldn’t one dyno a small hair lower? See? It’s like that.

This message brought to you by the fmic gang. If she ain’t in the front then neither will u. Bang bang
Provide the false data.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Again since you missed this part….

YOU are in the same brainwashed category with this. As you’re theory comes from NA car with a much lower vacuum at the intake.

Yes colder air = denser, and yes you will lose power at idle, 10 mph , 15 mph, and while the car is making very low boost… but once the cars making boost especially cars like ours with smaller turbos and higher boost the vacuum effect at the intake PRE compressor is now (again…surprise!) pulling forcing air in, the whole theory is irrelevant.

And your meat prop story is just that… a story.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Again since you missed this part….

YOU are in the same brainwashed category with this. As you’re theory comes from NA car with a much lower vacuum at the intake.

Yes colder air = denser, and yes you will lose power at idle, 10 mph , 15 mph, and while the car is making very low boost… but once the cars making boost especially cars like ours with smaller turbos and higher boost the vacuum effect at the intake PRE compressor is now (again…surprise!) pulling forcing air in, the whole theory is irrelevant.

And your meat prop story is just that… a story.
Bullshit don’t compare me to those sheep
You’re explaining it wrong. Forward motion has the biggest impact on open intake temps. Nothing to do with boost. Though I’m sure that could help too

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Fuck u. It’s not false. The ecs intake brought down open intake temps the fastest. Followed by intake duct with drivers side open. Where as the stock duct took way longer.
Were you measuring IAT via a logging mechanism (at the manifold) or a probe before the turbo (your meat thermometer comment)?

I ask because I think you're misunderstanding his comments if you are only looking at temperature right after the filter. His point I think is that 10 or 15 degrees at the intake filter doesn't mean much once the turbo has heated it to 200+ degrees and the intercooler brings it back down to almost ambient.