GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Customer Care, any success stories? (Cam follower failure)

Radiohead,
Have you consistently been a good customer at that specific vw? Any dealer can goodwill labor or parts up to a certain amount. Negotiating is the name of the game.

If however nothing can be done with the dealer, throw in a cam follower drive it gingerly over to long island, pm me if interested.

radiohead1075

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Radiohead,
Have you consistently been a good customer at that specific vw? Any dealer can goodwill labor or parts up to a certain amount. Negotiating is the name of the game.

If however nothing can be done with the dealer, throw in a cam follower drive it gingerly over to long island, pm me if interested.

Yeah, had the oil changes and all major services done at the same place I bought the car. They have been reasonable, but not getting any help despite pleading my case.

matteo716

Muddy GTI guy
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Do the 2008 motors not have an extended warranty on the CF?

nope, i have a 2008 gti as well with the FSI motor. follower failed, called vwoa they said nope sorry. the dealership up to that point in time told me i had nothing to worry about even when i mentioned i had over 100k miles and never had it checked/replaced. they said it wasnt an issue.

Oil was changed every 5k but you didn't change cam follower? Were you not aware of the problem?

i was aware myself of the issue for the 06/07 from the forums but the dealership itself told me if i kept my oil topped off i wouldnt have any issues.

Call vwoa. I had the dealer deny a few things and vwoa made them fix it.

i called vwoa and was told i was out of regular warranty and was not covered under the extended warranty. i even asked why my fsi wasnt covered when the other fsi motors were and they said my vin number wasnt covered and left it at that.

my engine hasnt sounded the same since, i bet i have some issues, cant afford to replace the pump of camshaft though so im at a loss of what to do.

the shop i had replace the follower did a visual check on the pump and shaft and said it all looked ok.

-just another of the many 2008 fsi guys who vw stopped loving-

radiohead1075

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
my engine hasnt sounded the same since, i bet i have some issues, cant afford to replace the pump of camshaft though so im at a loss of what to do.

You only replaced the cam follower?

My concern at this point is that there may be more damage beyond the pump and cam shaft. Pieces of the cam follower were floating around—that scares me.

Still stuck at the moment on whether I should just trade the car in as-is or fix it and hope that will get the car back to 100%.

how did you go to the dealer and those dumbasses didn't check it if they know its a common problem. wtf? dealer negligence

We do not check as common maintenance, you want it checked? You pay the half hour i want to check it.

As per the bulletin, we have to have a code or a symptom for us to start diggin into it. Calling a lawyer is only going to waste time and money. People really have nothing better to do?

Nubsauce

Cam follower is destroyed, service manager said it's one of the worst they've seen. Yet no love for us 2008 FSI owners.

Called VW customer care, only offer was 1,000 for a new VW.

104,000 miles, original owner. Car was properly serviced, oil changed every 5k with the specified oil.

Any way to appeal to the VW regional manager? What to do next?

At the very least, I may reluctantly get rid of the car if I can't get VW fix their negligence to this issue.

(Timing belt, DSG service, new tires were going to be done shortly, don't feel confident sinking that much money into the car at this point.)

Well I am a salesman for VW and often hang out around the Techs when it's dead or when they are making sure my car is in working order.

So what are you trying to do? Fix it? Raise the amount towards a new VW? I could possible help you out with some advice.

JonnyBigBoss

Passed Driver's Ed
Lots of people downplay reliability, but this is one of many examples of why I miss my Toyota to some degree. Ever since I got my GTI it's been nothing but anxiety and reaping of my bank account.

radiohead1075

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Well I am a salesman for VW and often hang out around the Techs when it's dead or when they are making sure my car is in working order.

So what are you trying to do? Fix it? Raise the amount towards a new VW? I could possible help you out with some advice.

Slept on it and made the decision to move forward with fixing my GTI.

Was told it should be done by Tuesday morning at the latest.

Will post updates.

Datalore

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
I know this is kinda off topic but... I recently pulled my HPFP to find some wear on the CF. minor scratching and a little DLC wear from the center. No visible deformation. (I believe) the first check in 92k miles. Now on to my question.

If I take my car in with a follower that is worn and scratched, yet no codes are being thrown, will VW pay to have it replaced? The warranty extension states, "Should you ever have an issue with the premature wear of the intake camshaft, cam follower, or high pressure fuel pump...".

If I go in with the pictures of my cam follower and as them to replace it under the extended warranty, will they do it? I KNOW the DLC is worn away and was hoping I could have the CF replaced for free. Any ideas?

I know this is kinda off topic but... I recently pulled my HPFP to find some wear on the CF. minor scratching and a little DLC wear from the center. No visible deformation. (I believe) the first check in 92k miles. Now on to my question.

If I take my car in with a follower that is worn and scratched, yet no codes are being thrown, will VW pay to have it replaced? The warranty extension states, "Should you ever have an issue with the premature wear of the intake camshaft, cam follower, or high pressure fuel pump...".

If I go in with the pictures of my cam follower and as them to replace it under the extended warranty, will they do it? I KNOW the DLC is worn away and was hoping I could have the CF replaced for free. Any ideas?

No the extension is for the failure of the cam follower (causal part is the cam). We need a fault code to apply for the claim. We have had no codes and a punched through follower, easy enough to push through.