GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Customer Care, any success stories? (Cam follower failure)

Thinkpad

I hope the OP doesn't mid me slightly highjacking their thread, but after reading OP's precarious situation it's got me worrying.

Does anyone know whether the 2005 VW Golf 1.6 FSI SE have a cam follower? It is a UK model. If it helps the engine code is BLP.

Many thanks.

08EmKayFive

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 gti
So since I'm still under warranty I can go in and get my cam follower replaced or do I have to wait until it fails on me..

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Even with a bad engine that $1,000 credit is a real low ball offer.

This lol doesn't even cover freight and PDI. I would get a quote to fix the car, and ask for that amount in credit towards a new car

radiohead1075

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
So since I'm still under warranty I can go in and get my cam follower replaced or do I have to wait until it fails on me..

More than likely they are not going to look at it unless you are getting specific codes related to it.

I'd replace it now, or at least the second you are out of warranty. 08's are not immune to the cam follower issue. Hoping that VW realizes this so I can get my money back.

matteo716

Muddy GTI guy
Car(s)
2008 GTI
im kind of curious now, what are the "specific" codes related to the cam follower failing?

i had some major fuel issues not too long ago and the dealer said it was my lpfp. well i ended up not trusting that so went to another place and boom! cam follower completely toast. replacing that solved some of my issues and then replacing the fuel filter fixed all the rest of my fueling issues.

so... what are these "specific" cam codes?

radiohead1075

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Got the car back, all seems to be running ok. Simply drove it home from the dealer, that was all I had time for today.

Total damage ended up to be $1,885.85.

Here's the break down for the repair: