GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vacuum Pump - Removing Rounded Bolt

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Hey all,

I went to check my cam revision and found a nice little surprise. Top two bolts were fine and loosened easily. The third, lower one... not so much. It looks like someone in the past molested this bolt head. It's now essentially just a round hole. I can't even tell if it used to be a torx or Allen head.

The weird thing is that I ordered a new bolt from the dealership so I can replace it when I do eventually get it out, and the one they gave me does not look like the current one. It looks the same as the upper two bolts. The bolt in question is the one that holds the bracket for the wire loom in place. See photo below.

What I need is advice on removing this thing. I wanted to go the route of Dremel-ing a slot into it for a screwdriver, but I can't get the Dremel in there, even with the battery out.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Special thanks to danman132x. I hijacked your photo and drew on it.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Looks like a tricky spot. I would suggest a small pair of vise grips, but if you can't get the dremel in there that might be impossible. The other option is a drill and ez-out extractor. If you can't get access with those, you need to start removing parts from the car.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Hey all,

I went to check my cam revision and found a nice little surprise. Top two bolts were fine and loosened easily. The third, lower one... not so much. It looks like someone in the past molested this bolt head. It's now essentially just a round hole. I can't even tell if it used to be a torx or Allen head.

The weird thing is that I ordered a new bolt from the dealership so I can replace it when I do eventually get it out, and the one they gave me does not look like the current one. It looks the same as the upper two bolts. The bolt in question is the one that holds the bracket for the wire loom in place. See photo below.

What I need is advice on removing this thing. I wanted to go the route of Dremel-ing a slot into it for a screwdriver, but I can't get the Dremel in there, even with the battery out.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Special thanks to danman132x. I hijacked your photo and drew on it.

You should be able to get a drill in there or dremel with a right angle adapter and do an extraction. Right angle adapter for drill is maybe 30 dollars.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Looks like a tricky spot. I would suggest a small pair of vise grips, but if you can't get the dremel in there that might be impossible. The other option is a drill and ez-out extractor. If you can't get access with those, you need to start removing parts from the car.

You should be able to get a drill in there or dremel with a right angle adapter and do an extraction. Right angle adapter for drill is maybe 30 dollars.

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I think I can get a drill in there with the battery removed. Are EZ-outs pretty easy to use? Drill a pilot hole, drill the real hole, counter-clockwise with the ez-out? That's all there is to it?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Thanks, guys. Yeah, I think I can get a drill in there with the battery removed. Are EZ-outs pretty easy to use? Drill a pilot hole, drill the real hole, counter-clockwise with the ez-out? That's all there is to it?

Best to get a kit.

Kit ususally has left hand drill bits that cut in counter clockwise motion. This by itself may extract the bolt if you drill slowly. Don't use regular drill bit as it will tend to tighten bolt further.

Drill hole smaller than the threads so you don't damage them.
Be gentle when using the extractor as they are brittle and can break off in the hole.

If necessary center the bit with a punch, drill straight and drill slow, take you r time.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Thanks everyone. I found someone at work that has an extractor kit that I'm going to try. Seems simple enough.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Last question. Any idea on the bolt inconsistency from the stock one and the one the dealer got me? The replacement is not a large, circular and flat type like the original. It appears to be identical to the upper two on the vacuum pump. Apparently when he searched it, it just listed three of the same bolt for the vacuum pump and the lower one for the bracket wasn't special in any way.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Finally got this taken care of with an easy out. Relatively straight-forward process that I'm glad I learned for future reference. The good news is that the screw has been replaced and there's no more stripped out head.

The bad news is I have a revision B cam... I know that's the better one, but mine is scored pretty badly. I was really hoping it was a revision A since it would be easier for me to justify replacing it. My cam followers are still lasting beyond 20k miles though, so I'll probably just leave it alone and monitor the follower as I have been.

Pics or it didn't happen.

I had to remove the battery and it's tray to get the drill in there for the pilot hole.

Revision B cam.

Contact with the follower. It's still in one piece, yay!

Scored Revision B cam. Sad day.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Glad you got it out. I have found that back when I was using the flat cam followers I had significantly less wear using Shell Rotella T-6.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Glad you got it out. I have found that back when I was using the flat cam followers I had significantly less wear using Shell Rotella T-6.

I switched over to T-6 two oil changes ago. Interested to compare the follower to my previous ones in about 7k more miles when it's due.