GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

United Motorsport - Schrick 268/264 - Round II - Dyno Results

Exit9Performance

Passed Driver's Ed
Phil don't waste your money on head studs if staying stock compression. Just buy oem head bolts. Let me dig up the MK5 dyno sheets for you when I get home. Iirc I have them for the Schrick 268/264

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Phil don't waste your money on head studs if staying stock compression. Just buy oem head bolts. Let me dig up the MK5 dyno sheets for you when I get home. Iirc I have them for the Schrick 268/264

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really on the fence. Taking the head off, to do cams, without throwing on a Headgasket spacer seems like such a waste.

But, throwing on a HG Spacer, without boost, is useless, lol.

I might as well just spend a bit more, and boost with stock compression with the HPA DTM 7670 Kit/CTS Stage 2 Kit.

If I'm going to take the head off anyways, why don't I go the next step, save some money in the mean-time, and build my block too?! It's such a slippery slope :mad0259:

Exit9Performance

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm really on the fence. Taking the head off, to do cams, without throwing on a Head gasket/ spacer seems like such a waste.

But, throwing on a HG Spacer, without boost, is useless, lol.

I might as well just spend a bit more, and boost with stock compression with the HPA DTM 7670 Kit/CTS Stage 2 Kit.

If I'm going to take the head off anyways, why don't I go the next step, save some money in the mean-time, and build my block too?! It's such a slippery slope :mad0259:

Have you ever done a head spacer? there is considerably more work to be done removing the head itself to install the spacer, you're just halfway there when doing cams.

-Ellery

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Have you ever done a head spacer? there is considerably more work to be done removing the head itself to install the spacer, you're just halfway there when doing cams.

-Ellery

I've personally never done it, but I've watched it done a few times before.

I do agree, but when I say you're almost there, I mean you're paying for like a big "chunk" of the labour anyways is what I'm trying to say.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
There any dyno-sheets/confirmation of this?

I assume those are MKIV numbers, correct? MKVs seem to run a little bit lower, likely due to the DSG, slightly more drivetrain loss.

I mean, I wouldn't be opposed to Cams. It's just if I open it up, and close the motor again, with just doing Cams + ARP Headstuds, and no thicker head-gasket, any boost I throw at it, is going to have to be a stock compression kit. It's a huge waste to take it apart again to build the motor/lower the compression.

I'd say my dyno proves 240 is possible, just be careful to choose a downpipe that stays very close in size to OEM or you'll loose a lot of torque. I ran a 2.5" downpipe and torque came on way latter in the rpm, took it off and went stock. I'll most likely go supersprint when I'm ready. I've yet to see a real world dyno from the USP downpipe.

I'd recommend the MKIV low temp thermostat with G13 coolant, I saw in another thread of yours that you wanted to work on cooling.

I also am using a mishimoto radiator with a Golf R auxiliary radiator and vented it.

This setup allows me to track in 100F weather without issue.

There's a uprated DSG cooler too that's good for 10C. I think it runs about $150 US.

telaio

Ready to race!
I'd recommend the MKIV low temp thermostat with G13 coolant, I saw in another thread of yours that you wanted to work on cooling.

I also am using a mishimoto radiator with a Golf R auxiliary radiator and vented it.

There's a uprated DSG cooler too that's good for 10C. I think it runs about $150 US.
Interesting info! Tell me more about the low temp thermostat, what is it supposed to do?

I tried to have a Mishimoto radiator installed but apparently the tubing was of wrong size and it could not be instaqlled...weird if only me is having this problem :(

Where can I purchase the DSG cooler?

ps. I was just out on track today, the temperature was about ~92F=33C. The temps creeped up a couple of times but I managed to control it by putting the heater on full warm. Of course I'd prefer not having to do that as the noise and heat are distractions...

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
The OEM thermostat opens at 80ºC and this one will open at 70ºC which will get the coolant circulating early. I'd recommend a new thermostat housing if you do this with a billet crack pipe. The temp needle usually operates a tick under the middle now. I don't have any issue with the car coming up to temp either.

70ºC Thermostat: http://www.ngpracing.com/newstore/ultra-low-temperature-thermostat-vw-vr6-12v-24v-70c-158f.html

Billet Crack Pipe: http://www.gruvenparts.com/the-ultimate-crackpipe-all-vr6/

Did the inlet or outlet of the radiator have issue? The OEM is actually very good quality, so I don't see the radiator being a huge help but it's nice to have, especially since I got it for free for being a test mule.

Here's the link for the uprated Audi DSG cooler, I think this is probably the best upgrade solution since it's OEM. The post says 10ºC difference.

part number: 02E409061EC

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3625476&postcount=34

I had an idea to route the outlet of the DSG coolant to my auxiliary radiator but haven't tried it yet. The plumbing would be easy to route.

Aux Radiator:

I've started to wrap my intake and fuel lines with heat wrap to reduce heat soak. I'm thinking of wrapping my downpipes next since it won't be very expensive and can really help tracking in the summer.

I'd say one of the best things to do is run an uprated oil cooler, decouple the OEM oil cooler so your coolant isn't touching your oil.

Interesting info! Tell me more about the low temp thermostat, what is it supposed to do?

I tried to have a Mishimoto radiator installed but apparently the tubing was of wrong size and it could not be instaqlled...weird if only me is having this problem :(

Where can I purchase the DSG cooler?

ps. I was just out on track today, the temperature was about ~92F=33C. The temps creeped up a couple of times but I managed to control it by putting the heater on full warm. Of course I'd prefer not having to do that as the noise and heat are distractions...

Last edited:

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Ordered up a USP downpipe for Black Friday and I have a fresh Borla cat back coming soon too.

I'm hoping I can make it from 238hp to 245hp, we'll have to see what the high flow cats and superior merge collector can do for my setup.

Thinking about changing my original water pump out since it's seen a lot of track abuse. Might be a good time to drop in the Audi DSG cooler too.

Hoping to track Auto Club Speedway come January. It's been months since I've been out...

hawk02

Awesome thanks, I'll look into getting one when my DSG service is due along with a finned aluminum filter housing.........How much are they????