Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV R32, B5 S4
Well, if VWR is offering OEM sized rotors </thread>

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
In my opinion the RB Open Slot rotors are rather excellent with YellowStuff pads, but I have no experience with other pads though but might try BlueStuff next time for improved performance on track.

Yellow stuff caused deposits for me, as did HP+, which are about your only choices in 345mm. In my experience the harder iron RB uses was not compatible with available pads in 345's. Unless Hawk or somebody can be convinced to produce DTC pads in that size you will likely run into issues. For me it was an expensive and unpleasant learning experience.

R32 calipers just aren't that good compared to a Brembo anyhow due to all the reasons that have already been beaten, I have no doubt VW made a huge single piston rather than a quad because it more or less got job done and was inexpensive to produce, which is the VW way or else you'd be paying Porsche prices.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Boston, Do you mind taking a look at post 236?

For an R or R32 seeing hard track use you have little choice IMO other than to go BBK mainly due to lack of pad choices for your stock 345's. The only two half decent pads I know of in that fitment are Hawk HP+ and Yellowstuff. I didn't have deposit issues with HP+ on stock R32 rotors, but sounds like you are seeing heat issues. My GTI was also 400 lb lighter than an R32 so my R32 brakes were hardly stressed on the GTI. Take off your backing plate and run cooling ducts, might help.

My goto track pads are Hawk DTC, but still aren't offered for the R32 caliper. The BMW world likes Performance Friction, but they list nothing for VW yet.

You might also try calling Hawk and letting them know you want DTC for 345's, they told me if they had a distributor commit to ordering a 20-30 pad sets they would make a set. Group buy? Get the R and R32 folks to speak up!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
For an R or R32 seeing hard track use you have little choice IMO other than to go BBK mainly due to lack of pad choices for your stock 345's. The only two half decent pads I know of in that fitment are Hawk HP+ and Yellowstuff. I didn't have deposit issues with HP+ on stock R32 rotors, but sounds like you are seeing heat issues. My GTI was also 400 lb lighter than an R32 so my R32 brakes were hardly stressed on the GTI. Take off your backing plate and run cooling ducts, might help.

My goto track pads are Hawk DTC, but still aren't offered for the R32 caliper. The BMW world likes Performance Friction, but they list nothing for VW yet.

You might also try calling Hawk and letting them know you want DTC for 345's, they told me if they had a distributor commit to ordering a 20-30 pad sets they would make a set. Group buy? Get the R and R32 folks to speak up!

Endless pads available for the R brakes according to the vendor I bought them from originally. (vividracing)

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3

MKV Aaron

Form Follows Function
Car(s)
Golf R
Carbotechs full line is available for the 345s, and seem to be quality.

I'm looking at a used Stoptech ST40 kit 328MM. The Golf R kit is their 355 kit, but don't want to go that big so I can run 17s.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Carbotechs full line is available for the 345s, and seem to be quality.

I'm looking at a used Stoptech ST40 kit 328MM. The Golf R kit is their 355 kit, but don't want to go that big so I can run 17s.

I never tried Carbotech as I was using RB rotors and all reports said they caused deposits. Should be worth investigating with OEM rotors.

MKV Aaron

Form Follows Function
Car(s)
Golf R
Just ordered Carbotech XP8 fronts and 1521 rears per Danny @ Carbotech. Pairing with stock rotors. Already have SS lines and fluid.

Last edited:

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
If you're getting deposits you most likely have overheated your pads and they can't take what you're throwing at them, thus leaving deposits.

I've talked to a couple Golf R owners that have had good luck with XP10's on stock rotors for track use.

I don't like hawk HP+, I got crazy deposits on OEM R32 brakes with RacingBrake rings. They might work good on stock rings, but I'm pretty sure I overheated them pretty good. I hear their DTC line is solid though.

Let us know how the new Carbo setup works out...

I currently have Porterfield R4S pads, and i'm on my second set of rotors due to pad deposits. Had my first set turned at pad install, at about 8k miles, then replaced them with new OEM VW (dealer, $86 a piece) blanks when those gave out. Well, they were pulsating due to pad deposits, so I had the new ones turned, and they were off from mile 1 after the turn (last week).

Since I will have to change my pads, I was thinking about changing rotors too. I do routine Hocking Hills runs, and route 555, that would mimic the stress an HPDE puts on brakes. Additionally, I autocross regularly, and use the car as a daily.

I'm open to suggestions on how to improve things...I have SS lines, and ATE gold 200 fluid, bled regularly. I'll be getting the Tyrol bushings with the pad/rotor order above too. No plans to change calipers to bbk any time soon.

My buddy used to have a TTRS, and daily drove Carbotech XP10 Front and XP12 rears. He upped the rear to stabalize car under braking, and was happy with the results.

Thoughts on pads/rotors for my R?

miamirice

Ready to race!
If you're getting deposits you most likely have overheated your pads and they can't take what you're throwing at them, thus leaving deposits.

I've talked to a couple Golf R owners that have had good luck with XP10's on stock rotors for track use.

I don't like hawk HP+, I got crazy deposits on OEM R32 brakes with RacingBrake rings. They might work good on stock rings, but I'm pretty sure I overheated them pretty good. I hear their DTC line is solid though.

Let us know how the new Carbo setup works out...

Proper bedding is critical with carbo tech. You don't even want a rotor used with another pad. Following their procedure is critical.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008

Available for R32/S3 calipers:

Endless:

SSM
SSY
MX72
ES88G
MA45B
ME20
N35S
N40S
N45S
S89F
S90F
S91F
S93F

Ferodo:

DS Performance
DS2500
DS 1.11
DS Uno

Pagid:

Pagid S
RS19
RST2

I doubt there's someone out there who knows about all of the Endless stuff. :23:

Anyway, I'd get Audi TTS rotors to mate them with any of these brake pads.

:thumbsup:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,76985.15.html

MKV Aaron

Form Follows Function
Car(s)
Golf R
Just ordered Carbotech XP8 fronts and 1521 rears per Danny @ Carbotech. Pairing with stock rotors. Already have SS lines and fluid.

I put them on last night, and they are a huge step up from the Porterfield R4S pads. They squeal when pushed, but during normal driving, they only squeal occasionally, and its very easy to modulate to silence the squeals. Perfect setup for a daily driven hard and put away wet imo. Great modulation, great power, and good pedal feel. I'd say a 4/10 on MY squealing scale.

Love them.

miamirice

Ready to race!
I put them on last night, and they are a huge step up from the Porterfield R4S pads. They squeal when pushed, but during normal driving, they only squeal occasionally, and its very easy to modulate to silence the squeals. Perfect setup for a daily driven hard and put away wet imo. Great modulation, great power, and good pedal feel. I'd say a 4/10 on MY squealing scale.

Love them.

I have xp10/8 set up on my s2000 that I daily. The initial bite when not even brought up to temp is outstanding. The squeal that comes and goes can be bone rattling. Be sure to follow carbotech bed in proceedure, work them up to good and hot until they almost feel squishy.

MKV Aaron

Form Follows Function
Car(s)
Golf R
I have xp10/8 set up on my s2000 that I daily. The initial bite when not even brought up to temp is outstanding. The squeal that comes and goes can be bone rattling. Be sure to follow carbotech bed in proceedure, work them up to good and hot until they almost feel squishy.

I purchased the pre bed feature, but still went ahead and did a small bedding procedure. They came to life on the second deceleration, and after the third, they were incredible. I recommend it, only $10 a set.