GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspension Set Up Questions

Nikerey

Darkness
Ok i figured id start here since the Tex can be a bit painful at times.

Im getting ready to install my new Hotchkis sways soon and im trying to figure out what settings i should set everything at.

Currently installed:
FK Silverline X+ Coils
Stern Rear Subframe brace

The coils in front are set to the way they came out of the box, 50%. The rears are at 2 turns tighter or about 75%. All 4 are 3 threads from the bottom. The front will rub under hard cornering so i know i need to stiffen the front.

What should i set the sways to? Ive heard with just sways you should be set at stiffest in the rear and middle settings up front. But with the coils being stiff in the rear and the subframe brace should i have the rear and front set to the middle for the sways?

Minimaul

Chronic Masturbator
Car(s)
e36 m3/4/5
Sorry, I can't help, but I'll give you a bump 'cause I'm interested in hearing the answer(s). This spring I'll have coils and RSB, so I'd like as much info as possible.

good luck though......

Nikerey

Darkness
do you race?

oh sorry i totally forgot to mention that...obviously 99% of my driving will be on the street, but after seeing Meat's HPDE video i really want to try it. I know ill like it, and will possibly doing some smaller Auto-Xs in the future.

I also like to have a good handling car on the street, there are some very good on and off ramps in my area as well as some decent roads i like to cruise on from time to time, so a good handling car is important to me....thus me spending the money on coils, sways, bars, and tires.

Dan GSR

Autocross Champion
if you going for a street car that handles well, just install the whole hotchkis kit, and set it to either the soft or medium setting

if you want a car that is track worthy
raise the car, anything more than 1" drop is going to negatively effect handling, 1.5" drop maximum
only install the rear swaybar, set it to full stiff, and sell the front swaybar

Nikerey

Darkness
if you going for a street car that handles well, just install the whole hotchkis kit, and set it to either the soft or medium setting

if you want a car that is track worthy
raise the car, anything more than 1" drop is going to negatively effect handling, 1.5" drop maximum
only install the rear swaybar, set it to full stiff, and sell the front swaybar

wouldnt installing just the rear at the stiffest setting, along with the stern bar, along with the rear coils set stiffer just make the rear way too easy to step out? Ive go the rear at stiff and the front at the middle right now and the car handles really well, stays very flat in the corners.

Nikerey

Darkness
you won't understand my madness until you acutally race the car
driving aggressively on the street is nothing compared to drving 10/10 ths on a race track or autox
btw the stern bar did absolutely nothing for my car

i noticed a slight improvement with it, nothing drastic like the coils or sways but for $150 i feel it was worth it. Did you put yours on before or after the sway?

Phil@BSH

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTi FSi
The number one thing you HAVE to do if you want the best handling you can get from your coilovers is to have them properly corner balanced. Guess adjusting can often times put you in a position to hande worse then stock.

Nicky

Car(s)
GTI MKV EDITION30
Dan,have you tried Wiechers upper bars?
I think it's worthy for someone who likes racing.

Nikerey

Darkness
The number one thing you HAVE to do if you want the best handling you can get from your coilovers is to have them properly corner balanced. Guess adjusting can often times put you in a position to hande worse then stock.

yep thats on the list of things to do, just need to get the time.

nicky said:
Dan,have you tried Wiechers upper bars?

Link?

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2

very true, not to mention the tires:thumbsup: