GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stg 1 questions

lifeis11

Broke as a Joke
So I recently went stg 1, and I absolutely love it. However, when a friend asked me to explain what it did, I was somewhat at a loss. I explained that it runs the fuel mixture a little leaner than stock and allows for boost to go a little higher. He then asked if that leaner fuel mixture overrides the automatic adjusting that the fuel timing does stock, such as running richer for high altitudes. I said I didn't think so, but I really wasn't sure.

So, am I right about what stg 1 is effectively doing, and also correct in assuming that not all auto adjustment in terms of the fuel mixture is disabled by the software and I would be perfectly fine in higher altitudes?

Thanks.

lifeis11

Broke as a Joke
bump?

BigT

Dont worry about the LAW
Car(s)
07 GTI
from what i understand its just a gain in turbo boost peak, also adjusting the timing and fuel mixture to go along with it.

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei

Eh, that doesnt have too much information about what a chip actually does to gain power.

Basically with any turbo car, you can change the software and get pretty impressive gains compared to an NA motor with a chip.

Basically, VW configured the car to hit a certain predetermined number -- 200hp. The motor and turbo can easily do more, but 200hp is something that is safe, efficient, and plenty for the price.

When you get a chip, it changes a lot of things. A/F changes, boost is upped, timing is increased, and other tweaks. All of these together mean more power!

A/F gets tweaked to be lean, but rich enough so you can increase timing. When you lean an engine, you add more air which means a more aggressive burn. However, more air means more heat and way too lean means melted pistons, but that is very rare. Most of the time you dont want it too hot or the fuel will self ignite (this is very bad). So you need to have a balance between lean and rich. You can richen a motor and "water" it down with fuel to cool it and therefore can increase timing. Since the cylinder will be cooler, there is less chance for the mixture to self ignite so the timing can be increased which literally means the motor waits longer until it fires the spark. A motors power is directly effected by when the spark fires. If it fires too early or too late, you dont get much power. It needs to fire at a precise time to get power. More boost is simple...more boost equals more air which means more fuel must be added. More fuel equals more energy which equals more power.

All of this must be balanced perfectly so no issues arise. You can thank the guys at APR, Revo, GIAC, Unitronic, and other chip companies for their genius engineers who actually develop and test the chips. They are quite amazing people.

Tuning is quite simple in theory, but actually knowing what to do when is the hard part :thumbsup:

DUB2OT

Banned
^
Typically, an aftermarket manufacturer will acquire the stock ECU code, make some modifications to improve performance, including, but not limited to, boost, timing, and fueling. Most chips also slightly raise the rev limiter, and remove the speed governor. The chip is this modified ECU coding which is then installed on customer’s cars.

:iono:

lifeis11

Broke as a Joke
good info, thanks!

wannagofast

Mr. Badwrench
Car(s)
VW GTI
A/F gets tweaked to be lean, but rich enough so you can increase timing. When you lean an engine, you add more air which means a more aggressive burn. However, more air means more heat and way too lean means melted pistons, but that is very rare. Most of the time you dont want it too hot or the fuel will self ignite (this is very bad). So you need to have a balance between lean and rich. You can richen a motor and "water" it down with fuel to cool it and therefore can increase timing. Since the cylinder will be cooler, there is less chance for the mixture to self ignite so the timing can be increased which literally means the motor waits longer until it fires the spark. A motors power is directly effected by when the spark fires. If it fires too early or too late, you dont get much power. It needs to fire at a precise time to get power. More boost is simple...more boost equals more air which means more fuel must be added. More fuel equals more energy which equals more power.

When the timing is increased, or advanced, it fires the spark plug earlier in order to try and burn the richer A/F mixture completly by the time the piston just passes the top of it's stroke, then the pressure pushes the piston down with maximum force. Running a lean A/F mix is a double edged sword, going lean is a way to make more pressure, thus making more available power. Going to lean will result in to much heat and pressure and to much pressure can bend a rod. Lets also be clear that it is really oxygen content that is being talked about in that A/F mix, with just the right amount of fuel, and a flame ignited at just the right time to make sweet combustion. Introduce more oxygen to a fire and it's going to get hotter and build up pressure and spread. Timing is just when the A/F mix needs to be ignited by the plug, richer AFR needs more timing to burn the more present fuel, leaner AFR not as much fuel, not as much timing.

So, some companies go more aggressive with parts of the re-map than others, some stay more in-line with what VW wrote for the OEM program and for the most part just bump the boost.

wannagofast

Mr. Badwrench
Car(s)
VW GTI
So I recently went stg 1, and I absolutely love it. However, when a friend asked me to explain what it did, I was somewhat at a loss. I explained that it runs the fuel mixture a little leaner than stock and allows for boost to go a little higher. He then asked if that leaner fuel mixture overrides the automatic adjusting that the fuel timing does stock, such as running richer for high altitudes. I said I didn't think so, but I really wasn't sure.

So, am I right about what stg 1 is effectively doing, and also correct in assuming that not all auto adjustment in terms of the fuel mixture is disabled by the software and I would be perfectly fine in higher altitudes?

Thanks.

To be more specific, your boost probably went from 13 psi peak to about 20-22 psi peak and going down to about 10 psi at redline. The AFR starts at about 14.7 at goes down as you redline, you are probably at about 12 to high 11's at redline, stock is about 10.5. You might want to have some VAG COM logs done if you really want to know whats happening with your engine and the new program.