GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Small SUV Recommendation

Cabra

Ready to race!
We live in the city (Chicago) and currently drive a larger SUV and are looking to downsize into something smaller
(Our second car is a Gti)
Given we put less than 6000 miles a year on it, we're leaning towards a lease
We really like the look of the 2017 Tiguan
Anyone know when it officially comes out ?
Or any recommendations on a different small (import, ideally German) SUV ?
Looking to spend about $400/month

wolfe1

small suv

I would highly recommend a mini countryman all4, i leased a 2014 & live in upstate NY with plenty of snow & no problems getting around. good gas mileage, comfortable ride & adequate space for a small SUV. you should check one out & take a drive, surprising power & handling.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
What's your budget?
Kids?
What do you use it for?

Cabra

Ready to race!
Ironically we had a Mini Countryman S All4 prior to our current SUV and thought it was too small and felt very plasticky and cheap. The run flat tires and only four seats didn't help
We have a 2 yr old with another kid on the way
It would be my wife's daily driver along with our weekend grocery getter. It would need to accommodate a stroller and the occasional run to cost co while still being small enough to zip around and park easily in the city

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
You already said you want the 2017 Tiggy. Thread closed lol. Just research the Tiggy i think you'll love it. Its on the MQB and its getting a DSG.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
You could get an X1 for less than $400/month for something different. Not sure if that's large enough for you.
A buddy of mine has one and loves it, neighbor too.

For a little more, you could get an X3. Wife has had one for five years now. Never an issue at all. Built in SC and took 18 days from order till delivery.

My old boss had an Audi Q5. Had the engine out twice within the first two years for issues she had.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Roomy city car that's easy to park and will fit everything you need.

Honda Fit.

If too cheap interior, an HRV would be a step up.

You will be shocked how roomy they are.

Now if you were looking more upscale, then ignore those and go with the Tiguan or even Golf Sportwagen

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I love my Tiguan, but it's definitely not roomy for a family. I have 2 littles ones (4 yr old & a 1 year old)....the baby carrier takes up a lot of room & you have to pull the front seat forward.

And the trunk (or lack thereof), a stroller fills up the hatch area.

With the seats down, it's got decent room for hauling but not a ton of room. (It's a lifted GTI essentially).

On that note though, you can lease a 2016 Tiguan pretty cheap right now. Like $200-250/month

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
2016 Hyundai Tucson - 1.6L Turbo, AWD

For the Wife we tested several small SUV's.
The Tiguan had to upright a seating position and felt like a mail truck.
The CRV was nice but even my wife thought it was dull.
Ford Escape - ok but nothing special. interior cold.

I heard about a new Tucson but had not seen one so we visited a dealer that had VW and Hyundai, so we could see the new car and old Tiguan.

We ended up getting a 2016 Hyundai Tucson, Sport, AWD with a 1.6L Turbo Engine and a dual clutch transmission.
The above is all good but the dual clutch is not like the GTI's. Shifting is awkward from 1-2 and shifting with the stick adds nothing. (no paddle shift). Put the GTI engine and DSG in this car and I would buy two of them.

It has GTI like wheels, if you like them.
The wheels are 19" and ride is very good.
The AWD works great in snow and ice even with all season tires.

I think it looks great
Some Features:
1. Electric hatch open/close.
2. Rear seats can recline.
3. 31 mpg.
4. AWD
5. 19" wheels
6. 1.6L Turbo.
7. Tough looking design
8. Good ride and good on interstate.

Just for info. Our car is the first one. The other from internet showing front.

IMG_1158.JPG

2016-Hyundai-Tucson-in-quarry-white[1].jpg

Last edited: