GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Small SUV Recommendation

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I had a 2015 Ford Edge for a few months, as much as I said I hated it I have to admit I should have kept it for the wife. Ours was a base "S" model Ecoboost 2.0 FWD and having driven other current SUVs in its class it's a great car. Tons of passenger room front and rear, tons of cargo space and the rear seats recline. Good responsive power, decent handling and mileage for its size. Really everything you'd want base other than heated seats which I'm sure is a cheap option anyway

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
Honestly if you can wait I would go with the new Tiguan, like you already seem to be leaning. $400 a month is the big limiting factor, but BMW does have good lease deals on X1's. Also might want to check out leasehackr, sometimes they post up crazy deals.

http://leasehackr.com/blog/2015/12/29/compact-suv-leases-ranked

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Hyundai has been copping VW's style for a couple years now

I think a past VW Engineer works for Hyundia now.
The back of the Tucson even has a lower honeycomb grill like the GTI.
But these are some aspects of the Tucson that at better.

Small item - when you open a door the screen shows the door opening (shows motion). Unlike the GTI that shows it open full or closed only.

I do not think the Sonata looks like the CC.
CC much better looking.
Sonata might look like a Toyota Camery.

Maybe correction: I might not have seen the newest Sonata but did just now. Still not as good as a CC.

Last edited:

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion

Small item - when you open a door the screen shows the door opening (shows motion). Unlike the GTI that shows it open full or closed only.

I do not think the Elantra looks like the CC.
CC much better looking.
Elantra might look like a Toyota Camery.

I don't usually like Hyundai's, but I really like the look of the new Tucson. Sandman, how did you like the car compared to your GTI?

I've driven an i20 (same class as Fiesta) as a rental car overseas with manual and 75 hp, it pretty good for what it is. Hyundai knocked the interior out of the park, compared to older Accent's they use as cabs back home. New Tuscon looks promising to me.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

I do not think the Elantra looks like the CC.
CC much better looking.
Elantra might look like a Toyota Camery.

I said Sonata.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I don't usually like Hyundai's, but I really like the look of the new Tucson. Sandman, how did you like the car compared to your GTI?

I've driven an i20 (same class as Fiesta) as a rental car overseas with manual and 75 hp, it pretty good for what it is. Hyundai knocked the interior out of the park, compared to older Accent's they use as cabs back home. New Tuscon looks promising to me.

Hard to compare it to the GTI. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, the GTI is heads above most cars.
The 1.6L engine is ok but nothing like a GTI.
The transmission should be better. 7 speeds but not smooth like a GTI.
It does better in Sport mode.
Ride is better than GTI as I do not have to avoid every man hole cover.
Very nice on interstate but not as much fun.
Seats are ok but any car with less side and seat bolsters than the GTI feels like I will slide off the seat.
So far I like it. Ride height is good.
A lot of room for small SUV. Back seats nice to sit in.
But after a GTI everything else is less.

I would have liked to have the new Tiguan as an option. I wonder about the engine in USA. I think not a 2.0L.

My wife likes the Tucson.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Hard to compare it to the GTI. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, the GTI is heads above most cars.

The 1.6L engine is ok but nothing like a GTI.

The transmission should be better. 7 speeds but not smooth like a GTI.

It does better in Sport mode.

Ride is better than GTI as I do not have to avoid every man hole cover.

Very nice on interstate but not as much fun.

Seats are ok but any car with less side and seat bolsters than the GTI feels like I will slide off the seat.

So far I like it. Ride height is good.

A lot of room for small SUV. Back seats nice to sit in.

But after a GTI everything else is less.

I would have liked to have the new Tiguan as an option. I wonder about the engine in USA. I think not a 2.0L.

My wife likes the Tucson.

i would guess 1.8t would be the base engine and perhaps our engines will be upgraded one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Really? You think they'd go from a 2.0 w/ 200/207 to a 1.8 w/ 170/184?? I think it'll have the GTI engine.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Really? You think they'd go from a 2.0 w/ 200/207 to a 1.8 w/ 170/184?? I think it'll have the GTI engine.

if you think of b6 Passat having the FSI GTI engine, then b7 downgrades to 2.5 and 1.8t, it might. who knows. It's one way to improve mileage and compete with crossover competition. The GTI engine will still exist as an upgraded engine. Just like the A3, previous A3 was just 2.0t as well.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

The early info I heard for USA was a 1.8L.
I did not like the news, but might be bad info.
The GTI engine would be something else, but I think MPG will be the driver on the SUV in the USA.

Last edited: