GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

rear brakes worn before front?

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
Our GTI is in for its 90k service today.

Its free due to problems with the last service, wont go into it again here there is a few threads about it somewhere on here.

They have rang the wife twice now, first was asking if she wanted to tyres rotated she said yeah sure, now how much should we expect to pay VW to do this, i thinking about 50-100 yeah?

She then gets another call about 5 mins ago saying that the rear brake pads need to be changed now and the front in about 10k klm.

And its going to cost $285 for them to do it.

Now i told her to tell them to not to change them, as im sure we can get pads and change them ourselves cheaper then that, am i right?

What pads are good and where too get them from?

Also part numbers would be good too for the rear pads if u have them.

now i thought that the front pads would wear out quicker then the rear?

SSS_Hoon

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
they just rang back saying that they can do it for $200.

LoL, i think they are just trying to get some cash from us as the service is completly free. The tyre rotation should be free too yeah isnt that in the service?

yeah i can do them myself no problem there just wanst sure if the pads were expensive or not is all.

SSS_Hoon

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
oh so it applies the rear first, fair enough makes some sort of sense i guess.

Hawk pads can they be bought from like Repco or the like as they say they are in urgent need of replacing, and dont fancy waiting a few days/week to buy from online..

SSS_Hoon

James G

Spool makes me drool.
Car(s)
'06 CW GTI 3DR
Depends weather by tyre rotation, they just meen wheel rotation, which i guess they do, and if so, bob jane does it for $22 :thumbsup:

haha, your rear brakes are wearing out fast 'coz ure a mad tyte drifter!

:lol:

mrx

Connoisseur
Car(s)
2007 CW Golf GTI 5dr
Just be aware that if you do it yourself, you'll need a 14mm XZN bit (which maybe harder to find and more expensive than you think), and the "piston reset tool". On the rear brakes the piston actually screws in/out, so you need something to rotate it back in. I actually found something suitable at Supercheap for a few bucks, which I bought while they had them as I'd never seen them before (or since).

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
mmm interesting?

Will look into it, my dad is a mech and has a whole heap of tools will see if he has it, if not might have to goto seb to get it done, im sure he wont be $200 odd to do them.

Can almost get both front and rear pads for the price of the rear just from VW.

SSS_Hoon

itisagoodname

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 G37S
Just be aware that if you do it yourself, you'll need a 14mm XZN bit (which maybe harder to find and more expensive than you think), and the "piston reset tool". On the rear brakes the piston actually screws in/out, so you need something to rotate it back in. I actually found something suitable at Supercheap for a few bucks, which I bought while they had them as I'd never seen them before (or since).

I just did mine as well... i was stumped for a couple hours on why the piston wouldnt compress. Did it with a piston tool and a pair of channel locks, takes a while but it works.

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
Depends on what compounds VW use in the rear pads as well, not necessarily the same as the front ones. Yes the fronts do the majority of the work but with things like EBD the rears do more than they used to as well. Mazda 3's had a big problem with excessive rear pad wear when they came out until Mazda changed the pad material. Only car i've ever seen on the road that would have black rear wheels and clean fronts!!

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
so anyone know part numbers or where to get the pads from, that is not a online store, and preferably in syd west penrith area?

SSS_Hoon

Jester_Fu

My Name is Angela.
Car(s)
Daytona Grey TT RS
XZN is just a fancy name for "Triple Square". You can get the individual bit for around $10 from Repco or buy a set of them including the 14mm for under $100.

You don't need a "piston reset tool". The piston is on a thread... you just need a flat blade screwdriver that fits flat between two of the notches in the piston so you can twist it back in making room for the pads. Don't try and compress it like the front as it will not move. It's on a 'worm screw' and forms part of the handbrake.

As for the wear, it's more likely your rear pads are wearing quickly as the callipers may be siezing on the guides the calliper slides on. this leads to one pad wearing quicker than the other, in particular. The Golf does NOT apply more brake force to the rear than the front so even if the rears were to activate a couple of milliseconds before the front, the front will still do the majority of the work. I think it is unlikely the rears apply first as the car would have mroe of a tendacny to oversteer - in exactly the same way as applying the handbrake. The GTI and R32 are not known for their OEM oversteer...

At $200, i'd be paying the dealer to do it. To do the job properly yourself you need to clean the calipers and rotors, wind them back in, ensure the pads are seated properly (so they don't squeek) and then put the car back together. It's a shitty dirty job and the pads alone (OEM) will be around the $70 mark. If you screw it up (like winding the piston the wrong way off the worm screw) you could be up for even more money to repair the brakes. the worst case - off the worm - requires the whole brake system being bled after putting the caliper back together. Not a job for the faint of heart or novice.

Jethro41

Volkswagenista!!
Car(s)
VW GOLF V GTI
Quit driving with your e-brake on....lol

Do them yourself. It looks easy enough.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40013

I'd up-grade to the hawke pads.

I was just about to post a similar thread... my pads are ok, but the rear calipers have faded like a bitch and gone very dull looking... and I did have an issue with over adjustment of the handbrake by the service team which led to over heating.... any chance this may have caused the problem?